Sierra gamechanger

sqearl

hello and thank you all for allowing me here
I'm looking for reloading data for the 7mm Mag. Using the Sierra Gamechanger 165 gr
I have a browning xbolt hells canyon speed if that will help
I'm also looking at a load with the 168 gr Barnes LRX.

hello and thank you all for allowing me here
I'm looking for reloading data for the 7mm Mag. Using the Sierra Gamechanger 165 gr
I have a browning xbolt hells canyon speed if that will help
I'm also looking at a load with the 168 gr Barnes LRX.
Thank you all in advance

If you can try to find your distance to the lands with each.

For the Sierra I'd start at .030 jump. My go to powder for 7RM is h1000. I'd start at 66gr and work up from there.

I have no experience with the lrx but with older Barnes stuff I would run it around .100 jump and probably start at 65.0gr and work up.

Either should shoot well.

If you can try to find your distance to the lands with each.

For the Sierra I'd start at .030 jump. My go to powder for 7RM is h1000. I'd start at 66gr and work up from there.

I have no experience with the lrx but with older Barnes stuff I would run it around .100 jump and probably start at 65.0gr and work up.

Either should shoot well.
Thank you. Good starting points with powder I have on hand

Before you purchase some 168 LRX make sure your rifle twist is fast enough to stabalize this bullet. I tried them in my 7/08 with a 1/9.25 twist and they would not work. Same thing happened to a friend who bought them for is 7mm Rem mag. The LRX box says it requires a 1/8 twist or faster. JFYI

Before you purchase some 168 LRX make sure your rifle twist is fast enough to stabalize this bullet. I tried them in my 7/08 with a 1/9.25 twist and they would not work. Same thing happened to a friend who bought them for is 7mm Rem mag. The LRX box says it requires a 1/8 twist or faster. JFYI
I should have check that out sooner. So I e already got them. But I do believe the x bolt speed is 1:8

I should have check that out sooner. So I e already got them. But I do believe the x bolt speed is 1:8
Your xbolt is only 1:8 twist if it is stamped on the barrel just after the cartridge designation. Otherwise its 1:9.5.
The 165gc wasnt that great in my xbolt, have not tried the 168 lrx, but the 139 vortex factory ammo was decent for factory ammo (just barely under 1").
If you are going to reload, try the 143 hammer hunter- my first 4 groups were all less than 1", 1 was just under .6", 1 was under .4, and 1 was less than .3"

Last edited:
I would check out the 168 gr. JLK. It is a very consistent and accurate bullet with a G-1 B.C. of .690. 2950 FPS is easily attainable with RL-26 and 3050+ is not out of the question with a 24" or 26" barrel.

The 168 LRX is a very long bullet, that really does need at least a 1:8, not only for stability, but for terminal performance. Almost as long as the Berger 195. Uses up too much case capacity IMO, unless you throat specifically for it.

Your xbolt is only 1:8 twist if it is stamped on the barrel just after the cartridge designation. Otherwise its 1:9.5.
The 165gc wasnt that great in my xbolt, have not tried the 168 lrx, but the 139 vortex factory ammo was decent for factory ammo (just barely under 1").
If you are going to reload, try the 143 hammer hunter- my first 4 groups were all less than 1", 1 was just under .6", 1 was under .4, and 1 was less than .3"
The143 hammer hunter thanks. I'll look into it

Reloder 26 produces excellent velocity in 7 mag and is fairly temp stable. I would look for loads with that powder if you dont have a powder already pick out.

The 168 LRX is a very long bullet, that really does need at least a 1:8, not only for stability, but for terminal performance. Almost as long as the Berger 195. Uses up too much case capacity IMO, unless you throat specifically for it.
I think the 168 LRX is a solid, isn't it ? It takes a Magnum length action.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.