side arm for wolf protection

I have a Benelli M4 tactical shotgun that would work just fine but it's a pain to lug over hill and dale.I think that my dog Bingo and a good 1911 would send them packing!
God help a wolf if Bingo gets ahold of him he's 50 pounds of dog/pig killing fury!
The bigger they are the more crazy Bing gets. A 350 pound boar can't stand the fury he unleashes on them!

Care to make a wager? It's obvious you are not a bulldog man! Wolves "fighting" is nothing but ritualistic posturing!
Stiff legs raised hackles Growling and showing teeth butt sniffing It's all bluff!
Evolved to stop mortal combat where both animals might die
They just snap they don't take hold and work it Bing does! I have to use a breaking stick to get him off a dead pig! Bing is the end product of
many years of controlled breeding.

KyCarl's right. Unless it's the Alpha male or female they are very hen-pecked. A Fish & Feathers warden who collared and tracked wolves told me that they take a farm pitch fork and cut out the middle tines to place over the wolfs neck. They wet themselves and lay totally subservient. They often have to kick the wolf in the back side after removing the fork from his neck to get him up and away. That's all but the Alpha's. If it's for protection an 22 Mag pistol is lots.

I still say baloney. Especially a bulldog. Funny stuff the guys who think a dog will take on and kill a wolf. Carl, you obviously don't live where wolves are. Tell the hen pecked wolf story to guys here in Montana that have lost lion dogs to wolves. Yeah, they're pretty subservient all right. mtmuley

I have to apologize to you mtm. I think your wolves were sold to you from us in Alberta and BC. Your governor told me years ago that "we were smarter than you. We got paid to capture and provide" I live in wolf county, and the wolf problem is way out of hand. You can call elk and the wolves show up. I'm guessing the difference came when we (Joe public) started loving them, and protecting them. Now it's gone far out of balance. Packs are plentiful at 20 plus, where as they used to be few and far between. Our winter herds of 300 plus elk are gone to groups of 20. So you are right. They are killing machines. Now we have bounties in counties of 300 to 500$. We're seeing lots killed, but one must over kill, because they just have bigger litters.

"wolves fighting" is posturing, but wolves on a killing spree is out of this world ugly. A pack of bull dogs wouldn't stand a chance.

interesting. But they underrepresented the Kirov attacks. They mentioned only one kid killed, in reality it was at least 22. European wolves have a much meaner reputation than North American ones. The unarmed peasants of many parts of Europe were terrorized and eaten by wolves for hundreds of years; in armed North America, it seems that the wolves quickly learned the fear of man.

Last edited:
I still maintain that the American Pit Bull is the finest fighting animal in the world!
Wolves are cowards! My buddy in Alaska traps them and kills them with a .22 pistol
He says that a Wolverine has 50 times more balls than a wolf.
One on one wolves are chicken %&#@'s! Just lay there hunkered down until he shoots them..
How Brave! PS don't assume what I know or don't know..You have no idea!
Lion Dogs are hounds not Pit Dogs! They track not fight.. Bingo would kill them too if he Got a chance

I still maintain that the American Pit Bull is the finest fighting animal in the world!
Lion Dogs are hounds not Pit Dogs! They track not fight.. Bingo would kill them too if he Got a chance
Wolves are master hunters
The sole purpose for the existence of the APBT is being masters at canine on canine combat. That's historical fact.
Fighting is stressful for other canines. Fighting is pure pleasure for pit dogs. They wag their tails when they fight. Dogs do not wag their tails when they're stressed.
They're bred to never quit in a fight no matter what happens to them. They have no sense of survival. A wolfs sole focus is survival.
A wolfs body is adapted to traveling, hunting and taking down game in packs from an eternity of evolutionary selection.
An APBT's body is adapted to wrestling, biting, holding and punishing other canines from very intense selective breeding.

Don't know anything about wolves, but a far as I'm concerned you should have to have a liscense to have a pit bull. So many unresponsiable people with them and they are unforgiving when triggered in attack mode. Have no use for a dog like that . JMO

Bet a lot of ranchers would buy a plane ticket for ol' Bingo to be set loose in Yellowstone...

So I am not sure on how the wolf vs pit thing would go down. Both of you bring up good points on the issue. I would propose an alternative, the Dogo Argentino. They have that same tenacity as pit bulls but are larger. One even killed a Puma in a one on one fight.

http://www.themodernsurvivalist.com/archives/3321

Wolves hunt in packs, Can either a Pit or a Dogo fight off a pack?

Either way, you guys have more fortitude than me. I'll take my 460 SW with me if I think the wolves are out. Gotta admit it would be kind of cool to see what one of those Hornady 200 grainers at 2-2200 FPS would do to a wolf.