Short action vs Medium action specifications

Defiance7mm

So my question is, and thanks in advance for any help... I have a short action Seekins Havak ph2 that started life in 6.5 PRC. I have since pulled the 6.5 PRC barrel off and had my smith chamber to a 7 SAUM. The reason I chose the havak was because of the extra length in there magazine. Basically they have a medium length mag in a short action. I like the factory stock but it leaves some adjustments out. So... I was wondering if I can put my barreled action in a MDT HNT26 medium chassis? Is the medium length action screws the same distance apart as a short action? Or is a medium action longer? Keep in mind, I know I can just run a short action chassis. But I have a long throat chamber and want to keep the longer magazine. Thanks for any help

The basic 'medium' length action is longer than the standard 'short' action. The screw spacing is different. Now add in the 'XM+' medium action length and the spacing is different from the standard 'XM' medium. None of the medium length actions will fit in the short action spacing.

A couple of the bottom metal manufacturers are stretching the short action magazines to accommodate 3.050" internal magazine length. This type of change MAY necessitate other modifications to your action for the sake of feeding.

Enjoy your search!

:)

The basic 'medium' length action is longer than the standard 'short' action. The screw spacing is different. Now add in the 'XM+' medium action length and the spacing is different from the standard 'XM' medium. None of the medium length actions will fit in the short action spacing.

A couple of the bottom metal manufacturers are stretching the short action magazines to accommodate 3.050" internal magazine length. This type of change MAY necessitate other modifications to your action for the sake of feeding.

Enjoy your search!

:)
Thank you for your help.

I was wondering if I can put my barreled action in a MDT HNT26 medium chassis? Is the medium length action screws the same distance apart as a short action? Or is a medium action longer? Keep in mind, I know I can just run a short action chassis. But I have a long throat chamber and want to keep the longer magazine. Thanks for any help
“I” would call/contact MDT directly, but that’s just me. Good luck!

Recent Posts