Semi custom vs factory

For a factory rig, Seekins makes a great rifle. The Tikka is nice as well, but factory magazines really restrict you on length with a 300 WM or 7 Mag. If only using factory ammo, it's not really a problem.

It's also pretty easy to throw together a quality rifle on your own these days with several actions with prefit capabilities.

For a factory rig, Seekins makes a great rifle. The Tikka is nice as well, but factory magazines really restrict you on length with a 300 WM or 7 Mag. If only using factory ammo, it's not really a problem.

It's also pretty easy to throw together a quality rifle on your own these days with several actions with prefit capabilities.
Yup, This ^^^
My son, Spun on, a Pre-Fit, 24" PROOF barrel, in 7mmPRC, on his Magnum Tikka T-3 action ( just check, Headspace ! ) and installed a Stocky's, Carbon Fiber stock ( Glass Bedded ) and has shot, 5 Shot, group's from, the Low 3's to 1/2 MOA w/ 180 ELD-M's @ 2,987 FPS with, StaBall HD Powder.
With, a Zeiss 4 x 16 Scope, He HAS about, $2,800. in the Rig including, the PVA Back Country Brake, that makes It, Fun to shoot !!
Total Rifle and Scope, Weight,.. 8.5 Pounds ! ( and Well, Balanced )

Last edited:
I agree with NOT using an R700 action if you are going to go "semi-custom". By the time you square up the face, re-cut the threads, true the lugs, add a bolt handle, fluted the bolt, cut an M16 extractor, get an aftermarket recoil lug, Nitride the bolt and action, and install a Picatinny rail...you are over the price of a budget custom action. And it is still an R700 action.

Buy a cheaper custom action like a Kelbly Atlas Tac, Defiance Classic, or Terminius, and you have a better, smoother base to build off of. You will not regret it.

Beware...once you go custom, you will be hard pressed to go back to factory.

I have heard numerous guys that build on a worked over R700 say they wished they would have just gone with a custom action to begin with (myself included x5). I have NEVER heard it the other way around.

I like my hunting rifles in the "mid-weight" category. No lighter than 8.5# w. Optics and suppressor, and up to 10.5# for the bigger cartridges. I have a couple that nudge over that weight, but not by much.

I've been looking at a seekins, do you have any thoughts on the X-bolt long range? they look similar however i'd put money the seekins is better made
The Seekins is twice the gun the XBolt is. An XBolt long range hunter in 300WM was one of the worst shooting gun I've ever owned. And when I contacted Browning they said their spec was 1.5 at 100 yards.

Factory seekins is my 2 cents. Put the extra money towards the hunt and glass.

If you want to be picky and have full ergonomics and control on fit and finish sure go custom. If you just want a shooter to get the job done and will sacrifice a little say on a few things then look no farther then a havak. To each their own.

Last edited:
Hey folks, got a question for y'all- im finally at the time in my life financially and time wise to try and give a big bull elk a run for his money, however I would like to buy a new a rifle aswell. Im debating whether to buy a factory rifle or to build off a 700 action. I plan for the gun to either be a 300WM, WSM, or RUM and my criteria for the rifle not entirely too heavy to lug for many miles, and most importantly a good shooter. I dont have a set budget yet (this thread is an attempt to come up with a number) so treat this more as a place to throw out any ideas or thoughts you may have in the semi-custom vs factory debate? Thanks yall!
I should also add that i'm a younger man in the best shape of my life (21) so a heavier-better shooting rifle might be advantageous for me currently
For most, budget is the driver. For custom/semi-custom, start pricing components (action, barrel, stock, rail, scope, scope rings, trigger, mag, bipod, muzzle device, etc.) along with weight, including labor cost, if a GS is putting it together for you. If you already have the R700, price out what needs to be done with action to make it a suitable donor. Most of us who have done the full-custom route have figured out that full-custom actions are the way to go. There are plenty of full-custom actions out there that are reasonably priced. I have done a few DIY semi-customs and prefer them over factory offerings.

I am three times your age, and my average hunt-ready LRH/S set-up weighs 12-16 pounds. Good luck, and have fun with your build. Take your time and enjoy the learning process. Believe me, this is not going to be your last. As you can see, there are plenty of knowledgeable folks willing and able to lend you a helping hand.

I would recommend you buy a Aero SOLUS or a Zermatt Origin for 700$-850$, Buy a barrel that is in the range of a 3-4 contour for $350-400$. Chamber/Thread at a reputable place for 400$. Buy a used stock like a Manners EH1/LRH, McMillian Game Hunter, AG composite...750-900$. Or MDT Field Stock for 250$ TriggerTech and bottom medal for 350-400$. This way you can buy prefits and change cartridges for future use. Custom gun and future growth potential and good resale value even just selling the parts.
Total Cost: 2825 - 2900$
VX3HD or VX5HD or Vortex Razor 4-25 LHT are all good scopes and can find deals frequently.
Trigger Tech has 4th July sales for primary at $119. Some can still be found.
With Black Friday around the corner deals can be had. I order all my barrels around this time, stocks, bottom medal and scopes if there are deals to be found.
This is exactly how I would go about it! I have many factory Remington 700 actions that have been customized to various degrees, but at thr end of the day, if you don't already own the action/donor rifle that you don't like in the condition that it is on now, I would NOT consider buying one to turn into a semi-custom.
Give Northland Shooters Supply a look. They have most all of what you need, and excellent customer service. Don't overlook a stainless light contour barrel as a solid choice for managing weight. I build a Remage 6.5x284 with a barrel from NSS in sporter contour, and it is a pretty lightweight rig, shoots lights out, killed my first 5x6 bull with it..

Or, a .270 -.300 WSM / 7 Rem Magnum in, a Tikka T-3X for, $900. Plus an Adjustable Kydex Comb $60. Trig Spring $20 ( If even Needed ) LimbSaver, Recoil Pad, $35 Plus, a Zeiss 4-16x Scope and Mounts, $900 ( Total, Sub $1,950.00 ) ,. DONE !
With, Handload's ( Find, propper Bullet for, the bbl's, Twist ) MOST Tikka's will Shoot, 3/4" or Better, MOA, group's.
And at, 8 Pounds "All Up" they are, easy to Carry, back to the Truck with, 65-75 Pounds of, Quartered, Elk Meat,.. in your Pack !
I would go as far as saying the Tikka T3x Roughtech (Sportsman's version) comes with threaded barrel, fluted bolt. I would suggest upgrading the stock but all in (minus scope) for $1800.
These days custom turrets built off specific (best shooting in your gun) bullets make it so easy for dope if you don't have a ton of time to practice. Love my Huskemaw 5-20x50 blue diamond for my 6:5prc. Practice enough to learn wind and uphill/downhill angles and you're $4-5k in and won't need another gun/scope combo.

If you shoot a lot with other guys get a scope in mils or whatever their scopes are measured in. Lots of math if not. Then get yourself some turret tags for easy doping.

Another vote for the Seekins ph2 or element. I'd end up having double the money in a ultralight custom build that my 7prc element cost, and likely not shoot much/any better. If you don't mind the weight and don't plan to run a can I'd lean towards the ph2.

Have you given any thought to glass?

By far the best deal I've seen on an awesome hunting scope. The 4.5-22 ffp is great too if you'd rather FFP, but I haven't caught it at nearly as good of a price yet.

You've been give good advice. I'm headed to elk camp today with a Tikka T3x in 270wsm and Seekins PH2 in 300wm. I have complete confidence in either. 270wsm shooting 140Accubonds at 3200 is underrated. The 300wm shooting 200g accubonds at 3050 is a do anything load at any range I'll ever shoot at game. I love both rifles and find they lack for nothing. Both are 5 shot moa shooters or better.

As many have said already, most elk are killed at less than 400 yards, many of those at a 100 or less. My son has a custome 30 Nosler, his elk this year was at 40 yds. I have shot 30+ elk with a factory M700 300 saum and the longest was 524 ish yds, because I wanted to not because i had to. My advise would be to find a quality factory rifle in the 7mm or 30 cal range, put quality glass with no more than 4x bottom magnification on it find a load with proper165 or heavier bullets and spend the rest of your money on scouting trips, high end boots, a good pack and practice with it in the field. Shooting up hill, down hill, when your out of breath, quickly in dark timber and in first light, last light situations. Confidence in your rifle and yourself will make more difference in the elk woods than anything.

I've certainly not had a great deal of experience with various types of rifle stocks, mind you, but the roughtech stock on my T3X Super Varmint certainly seems substantial enough, although it appears to be almost a requirement in buying a Tikka that you jerk the action and barrel out of the factory stock and drop it into something else! Have to say that the SV is towards the upper end price wise for Tikka so I would expect something other than a throwaway stock.
Really have become a Tikka convert and recommend a serious look when contemplating one's next purchase.

Recent Posts