Semi custom vs factory

For a factory rig, Seekins makes a great rifle. The Tikka is nice as well, but factory magazines really restrict you on length with a 300 WM or 7 Mag. If only using factory ammo, it's not really a problem.

It's also pretty easy to throw together a quality rifle on your own these days with several actions with prefit capabilities.

For a factory rig, Seekins makes a great rifle. The Tikka is nice as well, but factory magazines really restrict you on length with a 300 WM or 7 Mag. If only using factory ammo, it's not really a problem.

It's also pretty easy to throw together a quality rifle on your own these days with several actions with prefit capabilities.
Yup, This ^^^
My son, Spun on, a Pre-Fit, 24" PROOF barrel, in 7mmPRC, on his Magnum Tikka T-3 action ( just check, Headspace ! ) and installed a Stocky's, Carbon Fiber stock ( Glass Bedded ) and has shot, 5 Shot, group's from, the Low 3's to 1/2 MOA w/ 180 ELD-M's @ 2,987 FPS with, StaBall HD Powder.
With, a Zeiss 4 x 16 Scope, He HAS about, $2,800. in the Rig including, the PVA Back Country Brake, that makes It, Fun to shoot !!
Total Rifle and Scope, Weight,.. 8.5 Pounds ! ( and Well, Balanced )

Last edited:
I agree with NOT using an R700 action if you are going to go "semi-custom". By the time you square up the face, re-cut the threads, true the lugs, add a bolt handle, fluted the bolt, cut an M16 extractor, get an aftermarket recoil lug, Nitride the bolt and action, and install a Picatinny rail...you are over the price of a budget custom action. And it is still an R700 action.

Buy a cheaper custom action like a Kelbly Atlas Tac, Defiance Classic, or Terminius, and you have a better, smoother base to build off of. You will not regret it.

Beware...once you go custom, you will be hard pressed to go back to factory.

I have heard numerous guys that build on a worked over R700 say they wished they would have just gone with a custom action to begin with (myself included x5). I have NEVER heard it the other way around.

I like my hunting rifles in the "mid-weight" category. No lighter than 8.5# w. Optics and suppressor, and up to 10.5# for the bigger cartridges. I have a couple that nudge over that weight, but not by much.