Seeking empirical evidence to support or refute powder/seating-depth nodes

I have been reloading since the early 90's and have always believed that consistency is the key to accuracy. To this end I have always tried to be meticulous with regards to seating depth, powder charge, neck tension, primers, brass and bullets. Recently I have seen some compelling evidence that challenges my long held belief that small changes in seating depth and powder charge affect accuracy to the degree I previously thought. I am still trying to sort it all out and trying to reproduce, for myself, some of the evidence I have seen from others. If I can achieve the same accuracy at reasonable seating depths (0.020" - 0.050" off the lands) then I can stop fussing with that part of the loading process and focus on other steps that may be more critical to accuracy.
I believe that the condition and consistency of the inside of the neck of the case is FAR more important than seating depth personally. I haven't seen anything super drastic (and proven repeatable) from seating depth, but I've absolutely seen it from inconsistent necks and neck tension.