Seating depth variation

nksmfamjp

I hold seating depth to .0000 tolerance!
Wow! How do you do that? I've run about 8 different seaters, annealed, sorted brass by brand, use premium brands, etc. I have about +/- 0.001" variation.

How much can I expect to see on target, if I eliminate that variation?

I'm really excited to hear how much you are seeing on target….

Wow! How do you do that? I've run about 8 different seaters, annealed, sorted brass by brand, use premium brands, etc. I have about +/- 0.001" variation.

I go through my seating depth process and those that aren't exact get set aside. Using my Sinclair Comparator gauge I go back thru and adjust seating stem as needed to get exact measurements as taken from ogive. I'm getting 3/4" groups with SFAR308...my goal is half inch.
I'm still fine tuning seating depth...I'm seeing a sweet spot at 045 off jam and have 20 rnds ready to go in + - 005 increments on either side of 045.

I think this has been discussed before, but I will try and summarize:

Trying to seat a bullet perfectly, say .005" from the lands is a real feat. And seating exactly to zero jump, without jamming into the lands nearly impossible. Reproducible distance to the lands is very hard to get perfect.

Why? Several reasons.
-- Because you seat the bullet with your seating die with the cartridge base at the max distance, but the act of firing pushes the cartridge forward in the chamber, relocating whatever headspace you created in the sizing process to the rear of the cartridge. Did you account for this in whatever process you used to determine your CBTO? Are your sized cartridges identical to the dummy round you used? And if you did go to all that trouble, remember that your brass will have variable spring back, even if you have annealed. All this amounts to at least a little, say 1-2 thou variance.
-- Then add to that some variation in the bullet itself. The very best are close to perfect, but most are so-so. A thou difference to the ogive is certainly within spec for most manufacturers. A lot more for some.
-- Then add that your seater is almost certainly NOT seating from the ogive, but somewhere further towards the tip. More variance.
-- Then add the reality that over time, your rifle's throat is eroding.

So, if you are aiming for say a nice modest .025" thou jump, a .002" thou variance is just 8%. Not a lot.

And if you aim for a .005" jump, that .002" variance has now ballooned to 40%

Variance is the poison to accuracy.

And if you are trying to get to the lands perfectly, you WILL not get it right. Some will be jammed, some .002" off. The difference is huge in terms of accuracy. The bench rest guys just have a loose neck, jam every bullet into the lands and they get perfect uniformity.

Worthless for a hunting rifle. You must back off in my opinion. I suspect anything closer than .010" is asking for trouble in terms of accuracy. But that's an opinion -- would like to hear seasoned shooters thoughts.

I think this has been discussed before, but I will try and summarize:

Trying to seat a bullet perfectly, say .005" from the lands is a real feat. And seating exactly to zero jump, without jamming into the lands nearly impossible. Reproducible distance to the lands is very hard to get perfect.

Why? Several reasons.
-- Because you seat the bullet with your seating die with the cartridge base at the max distance, but the act of firing pushes the cartridge forward in the chamber, relocating whatever headspace you created in the sizing process to the rear of the cartridge. Did you account for this in whatever process you used to determine your CBTO? Are your sized cartridges identical to the dummy round you used? And if you did go to all that trouble, remember that your brass will have variable spring back, even if you have annealed. All this amounts to at least a little, say 1-2 thou variance.
-- Then add to that some variation in the bullet itself. The very best are close to perfect, but most are so-so. A thou difference to the ogive is certainly within spec for most manufacturers. A lot more for some.
-- Then add that your seater is almost certainly NOT seating from the ogive, but somewhere further towards the tip. More variance.
-- Then add the reality that over time, your rifle's throat is eroding.

So, if you are aiming for say a nice modest .025" thou jump, a .002" thou variance is just 8%. Not a lot.

And if you aim for a .005" jump, that .002" variance has now ballooned to 40%

Variance is the poison to accuracy.

And if you are trying to get to the lands perfectly, you WILL not get it right. Some will be jammed, some .002" off. The difference is huge in terms of accuracy. The bench rest guys just have a loose neck, jam every bullet into the lands and they get perfect uniformity.

Worthless for a hunting rifle. You must back off in my opinion. I suspect anything closer than .010" is asking for trouble in terms of accuracy. But that's an opinion -- would like to hear seasoned shooters thoughts.
I agree! That is why tolerances exist, whether it is +/- .xxx (more realistic) or +/- .xxxx. In short, there is an acceptable tolerance and variation.

As most target shooters realise, there is a sweet spot variation within about .003" gap of optimum distance. Varying by .003" is acceptable, even when jammed or just touching. I have used this amount with success. Drop out of this optimum amount and the load will shoot like Dick.
Seating depth for me starts at sorting CBTO, then pointing and tipping (if necessary), then seating depth is tested first with a non-tuned powder load in the middle of the load, say 3 grains below max.
Once seating depth is found, it rarely ever changes with powder nodes.

Cheers.

Recent Posts