Savage model 99a 375 inherited

Also, you said this is from your recently deceased grandfather? If so a) my condolences, and b) how old are you and do you have kids? If you don't mind my asking. Because a thing like this will mean more to you the longer he's been gone and also makes a wonderful thing to pass down to future generations of family.

This will be something you regret selling or trading. I'm 💯 certain. This is more than a toy or a tool or just another rifle. This is important by virtue of its rarity, who it belonged to, and the memory and heritage invoked by its existence in your family or family-to-be.

I have a savage 99 I inherited too, from a man who is still alive! A great uncle of mine was estranged from his whole family, and then in his 50s suffered and survived a massive heart attack. This confrontation with his own mortality lead him to make things right with God and also to be reconciled and make amends with all the friends and family he had hurt or just disappeared on for the last 30 years. I had never met the man, and was 14 years old when I inherited the gun…but he knew I was into shooting and hunting and passed down a savage 99 in .243, nothing rare, but very special.

His only instructions were "make sure this stays in the family". He made me promise while looking him in the eye and shaking his hand haha. Had I not gave him my word who knows, when I was young and stupid and most of all broke I might have sold it. Now I'm not as young, still kinda stupid, arguably still broke, but I have four children of my own and it will bring me great pleasure to give this rifle to one of them when they are of age, with similar instructions.
This gets me to thinking about your uncle. Why do I keep buying ? None of my younger nieces and nephews come to visit. Which is understandable to a point. I was their age once. But not many are into hunting/shooting. I really need to give my actions more thought.

Also, you said this is from your recently deceased grandfather? If so a) my condolences, and b) how old are you and do you have kids? If you don't mind my asking. Because a thing like this will mean more to you the longer he's been gone and also makes a wonderful thing to pass down to future generations of family.

This will be something you regret selling or trading. I'm 💯 certain. This is more than a toy or a tool or just another rifle. This is important by virtue of its rarity, who it belonged to, and the memory and heritage invoked by its existence in your family or family-to-be.

I have a savage 99 I inherited too, from a man who is still alive! A great uncle of mine was estranged from his whole family, and then in his 50s suffered and survived a massive heart attack. This confrontation with his own mortality lead him to make things right with God and also to be reconciled and make amends with all the friends and family he had hurt or just disappeared on for the last 30 years. I had never met the man, and was 14 years old when I inherited the gun…but he knew I was into shooting and hunting and passed down a savage 99 in .243, nothing rare, but very special.

His only instructions were "make sure this stays in the family". He made me promise while looking him in the eye and shaking his hand haha. Had I not gave him my word who knows, when I was young and stupid and most of all broke I might have sold it. Now I'm not as young, still kinda stupid, arguably still broke, but I have four children of my own and it will bring me great pleasure to give this rifle to one of them when they are of age, with similar instructions.
I am 33 married with one girl so far. I recently took the rifle out and finally shot it. Now I believe it will become part of my small but meaningful collection. Every gun I own was passed down to me or purchased feom a family member. I currently have 78 more rounds and I'm gonna be getting all his reloading equipment. So there's gonna be a learning curve. The rifle just feels right everything about it makes me smile. He had a scope I inherited as well I'm probably gonna mount to it a old bushnell 3x9. It will become my new medium range rifle. Or if I ever get to do his dream of traveling the states and hunting I'll probably use it

The rifle I recently inherited she is in amazing condition

Attachments

• 20240609_224546.jpg
    20240609_224546.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 20240609_224454.jpg
    20240609_224454.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20240609_224512.jpg
    20240609_224512.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 63
I'm happy that you decided to keep your gramps ole gun. I think in my opinion it's the smart move. They don't build guns like that anymore and the older you get the more you will appreciate that fact. Kinda like my grandmother's only car she ever owned when she came here from Germany was a 1965 fastback mustang. My youngest brother now owns that car and trust me it's worth alot more than what she paid for it not to mention the memory's of that car being in the family is priceless.

no sadly it's still chambered in 375. Is there any cases that can be formed for this. I read about nicking out 30-30 shells and light loads but sounds kind of sketch
Easy to form cases, you can fire form 30-30 or use 38-55. But just keep your eyes open as I'd expect to see starline make another run of them.

Bullets aren't hard to find either. Hawk makes them in various weights. And pop up on the aution sites pretty regularly. I picked up 400 220 gr hornady off gunrunner not that long ago. Also saw about ten boxes of factory ammo in a local gun store not to long ago. Hammer also makes some light for caliber bullets in 375 cal just for the 375 winchester. Work up a good load and learn to shoot that rifle and you'll be good to go under 300 yards.

Yes that is very true. I am down in louisiana. Guns don't do so well sitting out down here with out some serious oil and cleaning every couple months. If it's in the same quality as my grandfathers other rifles it's in amazing Condition. He kept everything in his safe.
Here is a secret for taking care of your gun in high humidity. I live in Adkansas. Heat and humidity are just as bad here. The dew point is supposed to be 77 this weekend. When I bought my custom Kolar another shooter turned me on to this stuff. We shoot rain or shine and guns get covered with sweat. It is the only stuff I will wipe down my $50k Kolar with. I also use it on all my blued guns hunting. Guns will not rust wiped down with this stuff. However, never use it for a lube. I use CLP or grease for that where needed. It is not a lube, it will gum. The guy that makes it is an old fella that has old ways. Look him up on the web and call him. He will send it to you with an invoice and you then mail him a check. Trusting soul but he says shooters never stiff him. Unheard of now days, but the only way you can get it.20240611_051512.jpg

Here is a secret for taking care of your gun in high humidity. I live in Adkansas. Heat and humidity are just as bad here. The dew point is supposed to be 77 this weekend. When I bought my custom Kolar another shooter turned me on to this stuff. We shoot rain or shine and guns get covered with sweat. It is the only stuff I will wipe down my $50k Kolar with. I also use it on all my blued guns hunting. Guns will not rust wiped down with this stuff. However, never use it for a lube. I use CLP or grease for that where needed. It is not a lube, it will gum. The guy that makes it is an old fella that has old ways. Look him up on the web and call him. He will send it to you with an invoice and you then mail him a check. Trusting soul but he says shooters never stiff him. Unheard of now days, but the only way you can get it.View attachment 578183

Here is a secret for taking care of your gun in high humidity. I live in Adkansas. Heat and humidity are just as bad here. The dew point is supposed to be 77 this weekend. When I bought my custom Kolar another shooter turned me on to this stuff. We shoot rain or shine and guns get covered with sweat. It is the only stuff I will wipe down my $50k Kolar with. I also use it on all my blued guns hunting. Guns will not rust wiped down with this stuff. However, never use it for a lube. I use CLP or grease for that where needed. It is not a lube, it will gum. The guy that makes it is an old fella that has old ways. Look him up on the web and call him. He will send it to you with an invoice and you then mail him a check. Trusting soul but he says shooters never stiff him. Unheard of now days, but the only way you can get it.View attachment 578183
America at work.

Yes you can use 30 30 to reload or shoot 38 55 Win. I have came across 375 Win reloads and NIB ammo when at flea markets & gun stores. Just keep your eyes open. I have not shot 38 55 or reloaded 3030 but there is plenty of info on the web. Finding brass & bullets is the hardest part. I also suggest getting a cast for bullet making if you find one.
Though very similar in appearance to the .38-55 Winchester parent cartridge, the .375 Winchester cartridge has a shorter case length and operates at a higher chamber pressure. If you are reloading (best bet) I would trim the cases to 2.020" as the 38-55 case is 2.085", just to prevent any problems.