Mag primers

Humpy73

Is there much difference in mag primers? What would be the list from best to worse? Seems everyone wants federal 215’s

More info:

Look at table 1

Primer Diameter(mm) Peak Pressure (kPa) SD(kPa) SD (%)
Fed 210M 5.33 2908 223 7.7%
Fed 215M 5.33 3811 192 5.0%
CCI 200 5.33 2561 270 10.7%
CCI 250 5.33 3587 404 11.3%

Rem 7 ½ 4.45 2303 186 8.1%
Fed 205 4.45 1469 103 7.1%
CCI 450 4.45 1602 104 6.5%
Fed 205M 4.45 1434 103 7.2%

Table 1: Peak pressure averages and standard deviations from the mean (SD) with a sample size of 10. kPa is kilo Pascals, a pressure measurement, 6895 Pascals = 1 psi

These primers all used lead styphnate as an explosive component. Blast waves were recorded using transducers - no variations in ammo loading procedures or components.

From Wikipedia

"Brisance is the shattering capability of a high explosive determined mainly by its detonation pressure." This is commonly measured by the sand crush test.

The transducers described in the paper measure primer blast waves. Heat generated by explosive energy would be directly proportional to brisance or blast detonation pressure.

I think Fed 215M's are the absolute best primers for large capacity cartridges loaded with lots of slow burning powders having pressures over 60 K psi.

I use my good stash of CCI 34's (not shown on table) with Staball HD in 6.5-06 to .300 WM with heavy for caliber bullets - no problems.

Last edited:
Going through this now on my 300prc. I have narrower down a powder charge and I'm testing 3 different charges with 5 rounds each. One with BR2s and one with WLRMs that my buddy gave me a 100 pack of.

I'm hoping there isn't much difference because I've been on the hunt for LRM primers for a LONG time and have only found the remmingtons.

Going through this now on my 300prc. I have narrower down a powder charge and I'm testing 3 different charges with 5 rounds each. One with BR2s and one with WLRMs that my buddy gave me a 100 pack of.

I'm hoping there isn't much difference because I've been on the hunt for LRM primers for a LONG time and have only found the remmingtons.
I will be interested in your results

If we’re talking brisance (heat), then the list goes like this:
WLRM (Hottest)
Fed215.
CCI 250
REM 9 1/2. (Coldest)
As to best, the only way to know is to test all primers with the same loads.

Cheers.
Right on the money!

I have been loading at the range for 30+ years, and changing primers to get the best one for the smallest group. It is very humbling, to say the least, because trial and error will tell the best primer. Finding the right primer is a "Holy Cow" moment in disbelief at the tiny group size.

Right on the money!

I have been loading at the range for 30+ years, and changing primers to get the best one for the smallest group. It is very humbling, to say the least, because trial and error will tell the best primer. Finding the right primer is a "Holy Cow" moment in disbelief at the tiny group size.
So is there a fairly consistent "best" in your opinion? Or does it vary depending on powder variety and charge?
Any suggestions?

I’ve got an opinion on that!
I’ve had extremely good luck with Federal. And not just Gold Medal match.
210 and 215
Thanks.
I've used Fed and CCI but have never tested them side by side.
Now that I have to skip a truck payment to buy a box of primers, I really cant AFFORD to test them.

Thanks.
I've used Fed and CCI but have never tested them side by side.
Now that I have to skip a truck payment to buy a box of primers, I really cant AFFORD to test them.
I will test:
cci 250
Federal 215
Win Mag, then I go the opposite direction in std primers:
CCI 200
Rem 9 1/2

I am usually trying to get a bug hole vs 1/2", and brother when you find the right primer, it is " shout for Joy" time!

There are a few times when you get a gut feeling on what might work to start with, but it is humbling how many times it proves you had no clue till you try different types.

I will test:
cci 250
Federal 215
Win Mag, then I go the opposite direction in std primers:
CCI 200
Rem 9 1/2

I am usually trying to get a bug hole vs 1/2", and brother when you find the right primer, it is " shout for Joy" time!

There are a few times when you get a gut feeling on what might work to start with, but it is humbling how many times it proves you had no clue till you try different types.
Thank you.

If we’re talking brisance (heat), then the list goes like this:
WLRM (Hottest)
Fed215.
CCI 250
REM 9 1/2. (Coldest)
As to best, the only way to know is to test all primers with the same loads.

Cheers.
Brisance is the "Brisance is the shattering capability of a high explosive determined mainly by its detonation pressure." This is commonly measured by the sand crush test.. Not by a thermometer. Higher temps may be expected with more powerful blast waves.

Last edited: