Mag primers

For many medium size cartridges magnum primers are not required. As shown in table 1 the little Rem 7 1/2 is a relatively powerful primer developing 2303 k Pa. The CCI 41 primer is intended for 5.56 ammo that is loaded for military use with all sorts of different powders used in a wide variety of conditions. Medium size cartridges would include the .22CM, 6CM, 6.5CM, 243W & .260 Rem. All of these are available for small primer use. The CCI 34 is intended for 7.62 ammo, all sorts of different powders & conditions,. I use them in my .300WM with VN 165 powder and the tail end of my dwindling stocks of 4000MR, over 70 grains with 178 grain bullets.

Here are some groups shot with a variety of primers/cartridges:

IMG_2304.JPGIMG_2034.JPG

IMG_1702 (2).JPG

The CCI 34 primer has been periodically available at one of my LGS, Scheel's, and when they appear I buy a thou, then after 1 week if they are still available I buy another thou. I use CCI 41 exclusively in my AR and have found them to be good primers in the 6CM & 6.5 CM. When using ball powders, like Staball 6.5 I use the more powerful pressure (2303 kPa) Rem 7 1/2.

Last edited:
Brisance is the "Brisance is the shattering capability of a high explosive determined mainly by its detonation pressure." This is commonly measured by the sand crush test.. Not by a thermometer. Higher temps may be expected with more powerful blast waves.
Brisance in regard to primers is exactly described by those that make the compound as ‘heat’. Nobody said anything about a thermometer being used…

I have never felt that the 9 1/2M is a true mag primer, but some loads demand that primer in medium cases. The new Win mag primers can run on the smaller size, but I have older ones that are larger(white box).

If you are chasing bug holes, try different primers.
THIS!^^^^^
Primers are just one of the components of a load no different than changing powder or a bullet or even the brass itself to achieve the best accuracy for "that load". A primer can be that component that is holding back a load.

Is there much difference in mag primers? What would be the list from best to worse? Seems everyone wants federal 215’s
"My" preference in order of precedence is:

CCI 250
Fed 215M
WLRM
Rem 9 1/2M

However, I have had excellent success with Rem 9 1/2M on .257 WBY, 300 WSM, and .338 Thor. Go figure, as with anything, YMMV.

Years ago I used Remington 9 1/2's,but then had 4 duds out of one box(two different rifles)
Never used them again.
Used WLRM primer to fire 79gr of H870 (till no longer available)
Went through the RL #'s until found RL26.
Now firing that with Federal 215's.
Using WLR for non mag.loads!

Fed 215M and 210M have been great for me. The three rifles I shoot at distance love those primers, 28 Nos, 6.5CM, 22-250 Rem, and I have been finding some 215M's lately. Haven't looked for 210's as my stash is still sufficient for the amount I shoot.

Brisance is the "Brisance is the shattering capability of a high explosive determined mainly by its detonation pressure." This is commonly measured by the sand crush test.. Not by a thermometer. Higher temps may be expected with more powerful blast waves.
A bucket of coal can generate more heat than a bucket of nitroglycerin because rate of heat generation is very slow as compared to that of nitroglycerin a high (rapid) explosive. Same with primers containing lead styphnate.

Measuring blast effects by temperature is incorrect. Coal is real cheap but cannot be used to make primers or Reloader 26.

Brisance in regard to primers is exactly described by those that make the compound as ‘heat’. Nobody said anything about a thermometer being used…
A bucket of coal can generate more heat than a bucket of nitroglycerin because rate of heat generation is very slow as compared to that of nitroglycerin a high (rapid) explosive. Same with primers containing lead styphnate.

Measuring blast effects by temperature (heat-thermal energy transfer) is incorrect. Coal (lots of heat to keep us warm & make electricity) is real cheap but cannot be used to make primers or Reloader 26.

"Those that make the compound" don't care about the specifics of the product and incorrectly associate "brisance" with heat and avoid the use of the word "explosive". Nobody wants to have an explosive in their house especially if cartridges are reloaded in a small apartment.

Last edited:
Years ago I used Remington 9 1/2's,but then had 4 duds out of one box(two different rifles)
Never used them again.
I guess I can relate to that. In 1988, my 1984 Ford Mustang had a leaked in a the fuel line and sparked by a short in the solenoid. It caught fire and was totaled. The was my last Ford product. 😎

Last edited:
I guess I can relate to that. In 1988, my 1984 Ford Mustang had a leaked in a the fuel line and sparked by a short in the solenoid. It caught fire and was totaled. The was my last Ford product. 😎
Lotza heat, thermal energy.

Building codes specify 5/8 thick sheet rock in garages and primers come in small plastic trays having individual pockets for each little primer.

Being sensitised by past experiences with stuff that can make lots of energy real quick I get a temporary mental flip flop when I see water condensate dripping from my car air conditioner.

I've used Remington 9 1/2's in just about ever cartridge I reload for that uses a large rifle size for 6 decades, never had a single misfire or issue with even one, from -20° to 100°...no use changing now...