Thoughts on a 7x300 wm?

Some people just like to have a project. Nothing wrong with that. If that’s what you’re after, wildcat it up!

Will you have more dead animals than shooting a Sammi spec 7mm (7mag, 7prc, etc)? Almost certainly not.

Having the option of factory ammo and brass outweighs any slight ballistic advantage you might get IMO.

Don't let anyone dissuade you from having fun on a new project and spending some money haha. I would personally go 7-300 PRC. No belt to deal with, but still have lapua brass and similar enough case capacity. Barrels are seriously a dime a dozen. Get two of them when you get the gun if you're going to shoot 800 rounds in a short amount of time.

I've had a hand full of barrels, always used 7828 with the 150 NBT. Depending on lot of powder it's 3200 give or take. Between 70-72 grains of 7828.

The 120 TTSX along with R22 @ 3500 is a killer of a load as well.
What have you killed with that load?

A friend of mine that is on this sight, "Sendero72" If memory serves me right finished a build on one around 6 months ago with a Hart barrel I think and has been putting it through its paces. You might PM him and ask. Super nice guy and I'm sure he wouldn't mind.
Nathan Foster of Ballistic Studies tweaked a 7mm x 300 and calls it the 7mm Practical I believe. Its performance is close to the 7mm x 300 and he has a nice write up on it. Plus I like reading his stuff in general. He's a wealth of info.

If you want barrel life stay away from the wildcats. That is their only downfall if worried about that. They perform and they perform well. I don’t have a 7-300wm. But I am running 180gr bullets at 3400fps out of a 7 wildcat. Didnt build it for milage. I built it for performance and it delivers. Barrels are like tires imo. Just cheaper

Last edited:
Although I would have to agree with the sentiment that wildcats might be barrel burners that's not necessarily true. If you consider a 7-300 a wildcat than your saami 7stw and 28 schnoz are 2 examples of "non wildcat" cartridges that are most definitely barrel burners compared to the "wildcat" 7-300. I think there's too much generalization going on for the OP. How bout a 26 noz...264wm....The 7-300 is a fine cartridge that I assume has better barrel life than all I've mentioned above.

Although I would have to agree with the sentiment that wildcats might be barrel burners that's not necessarily true. If you consider a 7-300 a wildcat than your saami 7stw and 28 schnoz are 2 examples of "non wildcat" cartridges that are most definitely barrel burners compared to the "wildcat" 7-300. I think there's too much generalization going on for the OP. How bout a 26 noz...264wm....The 7-300 is a fine cartridge that I assume has better barrel life than all I've mentioned above.
I agree.
I’m pretty sure that a 7-300wm is going to have a better barrel life than my 7stw.
Since my stw is going to have limited range time and mainly for hunting it should definitely last a while.
But I really want a 7-300wm just because 😁

7 practical, I read up on that one around the time I rebarreled my winmag. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you form cases for it with just a bushing change in a 300winmag die ? That was the attractive part for me since I already have a pile brass and dies.