Thoughts on a 7x300 wm?

7x300 is probably a bit easier to make brass for than a 7stw. That said, and 375H@H brass is perfect for 7stw, as is any 8rem brass.
Personally, I can't believe Nos. thinks they can get 4 bucks a pop for 7stw brass. I have 75 of them sitting around as spares for when I wear out some of my other 7stw brass.
All the speed demons created by rl25 and rl26 are gonna start crying soon. I'm about out of rl25 myself but I have somewhere around 400 7stw loaded with 140 ab's and rl25. It'll last me a spell. I'll switch to aa8700 or wc872 when the rl25 is gone I suppose who knows, I might go to vit 565 or 570.
A 180 in a 7wsm is maxed out at 3K fps? I run my 7rum around start loads with a 175 eld-x at 2900 fps. I suppose I ought to work the pressure up a bit, but I don't really push my big 7's very hard; my 7stw is just below 3400 fps with a 140.
Lefty, when you start messing with the wc872 and 140’s let me know what you come up with.
I have a bunch of the discontinued Winchester magnum rifle (WMR) that I need to play with some more to see if I can find a magic charge for it.
I also picked up some Staball HD to see what it will be like.
I hate the fact that I can’t find any more 7828ssc which is my favorite.

I’m sure Remington will do more runs of 7STW brass, our importer here still has 7STW brass in stock. I bought 100 as soon as I re-chambered my 7RM barrel. May have to buy another 100, as I have another take-off 7RM barrel already chambered and ready to go.
Here’s the headstamp of the brass I got.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_2794.jpeg
    IMG_2794.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2793.jpeg
    IMG_2793.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2792.jpeg
    IMG_2792.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 16
I’m sure Remington will do more runs of 7STW brass, our importer here still has 7STW brass in stock. I bought 100 as soon as I re-chambered my 7RM barrel. May have to buy another 100, as I have another take-off 7RM barrel already chambered and ready to go.

Cheers.
I hope so. Remmy 7stw brass was actually decent for the most part.
I've got a bag or so from a buddy that wasn't annealed well. I'll have to play with it if I need it. I'm not popping every third case because of bad annealing. I've run hundreds of their casings to failure i n 7stw and have a few hundred loaded at present.

Winchester 7stw brass is actually great too but that hasn't been out for a long while. I suspect the Hornady stuff I have is about as good. Hornady has gotten their butts in gear rather well on brass the last few years. I wish Starline would make a run of 7stw brass or 405 win brass. I've pretty much gone to them for my revolver brass and 10mm auto brass. I hear their rifle brass is decent too, but I haven't bought any yet.
The only 7stw brass I've had issues with is Bertram. It's decent stuff, but small. I had to neck my brass up then back down again for a sub shoulder to keep from blowing the tail end off the first shot. It'll work well once it's blown out, but getting it there may kill a few casings.

Last edited:
Lefty, when you start messing with the wc872 and 140’s let me know what you come up with.
I have a bunch of the discontinued Winchester magnum rifle (WMR) that I need to play with some more to see if I can find a magic charge for it.
I also picked up some Staball HD to see what it will be like.
I hate the fact that I can’t find any more 7828ssc which is my favorite.
7828 was always a bit fast burning for the 7stw, but it worked. rl25 was better at keeping a lid on pressure while still having decent velocity.
The 872 I have is really close to aa8700. A lot of the 50 cal. stuff is really similar. Working up from 10% down will probably get you a decent shooting load with a really filthy burning powder.

Cheers.
I would sure love to find some

7rum is still the easy button for a really overbore 7mm. The brass is available, and it will beat the 7stw and 28nos with zero case forming. I haven't run the 7x300 though; do you have one that's running well?
This is very true, but the STW will/does get double the barrel life of the RUM even with really slow powders.
I had 1 when first released in the blued SPS equivalent back then as many were asking for custom builds and I knew nothing about them. We got all 3 power levels offered by Remington and no matter what we tried we couldn’t come close to duplicating them. By 600 rounds, the haze cracking was 4”+ passed the throat, at 800 the barrel was well and truly done, probably 100 rounds of wishful thinking there beyond 700 rounds.
The STW in a 3.7-3.85” mag just works, as does the RUM, but I prefer 1500 rounds of barrel life…

Cheers.

This is very true, but the STW will/does get double the barrel life of the RUM even with really slow powders.
I had 1 when first released in the blued SPS equivalent back then as many were asking for custom builds and I knew nothing about them. We got all 3 power levels offered by Remington and no matter what we tried we couldn’t come close to duplicating them. By 600 rounds, the haze cracking was 4”+ passed the throat, at 800 the barrel was well and truly done, probably 100 rounds of wishful thinking there beyond 700 rounds.
The STW in a 3.7-3.85” mag just works, as does the RUM, but I prefer 1500 rounds of barrel life…

Cheers.
I got around 1400 rounds out of the last 7mm stw barrel that was pretty much run to it's end, and it was still shooting. It was just about gone in the throat though, so I traded it for a lh 7mm stw. That's where the fun ended as someone had gun-plumbed it and that 7stw needed to be re-worked. The only things that are still on that rifle are the action itself and the bolt body. Everything else is gone. Rings, bases, firing pin assembly, trigger, stock, barrel; I tossed it all.
My current 7rum eats 175 eld-x pills with H50BMG under it with a mild load (she's a short throat rifle) and it isn't wearing any faster than my 7stw that eats rl25 and 140 ab's. 20% more case capacity does equal a good amount more bore wear. I'm not sure I could get 1,000 rounds from a 7rum run full throttle. I'd put it at somewhere between 20 and 40% more out of a 7stw when both are run full throttle with similar powders. Run a cooler burning single base in the 7rum and a hotter double base in the 7stw and it'll get a lot closer to parity as far as round count.