Thoughts on a 7x300 wm?

I can't remember. I'll have to look it up again. I was thinking it was just a 300winmag necked down to 7mm, making it more "practical"
Hmmm 🤔.
I know when I was trying to figure it all out I think I read that they offered two or three different shoulder angles.
What I was wanting is exactly like what you described, a 300wm brass necked down to 7mm with no other changes

The Mashburn has a long neck on a 300 Win mag case, sharper shoulder, not quite the case capacity of the 7 Practical. In the Mashburn, 24", 160-168 at 3200 and neck size only, 3350 is close to being maxed out. The beauty of both of the Practical and Mashburn is the availability of 300 Win Mag brass. Both of these cases have a CULT type of following from their users. I hunted with guys in Az who had both of these cases, we shot at the rifle range from time to time.

As a lifelong fan of the 7 Rem Mag, I recently built a slightly different rifle that I am in love with. The reason it works for me are all specific to mission and performance targets. I built a 7 WSM recently that I love. It pushes a 180 grain bullet right over 3000 fps and shoots like a dream. I would recommend if you want a 7/300. build it. The process is always fun and the reasons it seems right for you will be true to you alone.

I think it was in 1988 that Lane Simpson came out with an article in Shooting Times magazine about the 7 STW. I ordered a reamer that day. My gunsmith chambered a Hart 10Twist for a Savage long action for a friend with the reamer. While loading at the rifle range, We simply necked down Rem 8 Mag brass, then seated 215s. Not having any loading data, we started with a Max load of R#22 with 120g Nosler solid base, loading one round at a time. Accuracy started to be incredible when we hit 3700, and as the powder charges were increased .5g at a time, the groups turned into Dots. At 3850 fps, my friend got scared even though there was no pressure, he stopped there.

I put out 20 clay pigeons at the 500 Meter mark, and using the turrents on the Leupold 6.5x20, we started bushign them within 3 shots. He ran the whole bank of 20 without a miss! He ordered Hart barrel blanks for all of the brothers and cousins. That first rifle is still killing deer in Missouri, but these guys fire one shot per year to verify zero, then hunt.

My brother and I killed a lot of deer with the 120s in a 7 STW, and my brother killed a 360 lb whitetail in Kansas at 550 yards. The old buck took three slow steps after being hit, fell over. The 120s in a 7 stw are incredibly fast and unbelievably accurate, R#22 and IMR 7828, both with 215s. I bet the Hammer bullets in this weight range would also be impressive.