Savage 338 Edge, wow! does it shoot!

AJ, might be a dumb ?? but how were you able to have kirby put the brake on the barrel and have it be timed right without it in the action?

Actually, it's a good question. I received the barrel and installed it, headspaced etc. I marked it with a sharpie marker and sent it to Shawn, he installed the brake according to my mark. It is almost perfectly aligned, close enough you'd never see it in a picture.

AJ

Beautiful gun AJ. The fellas on here are definitely a great resource. One of these days I need to have Joel build a stock for me too.

Thanks guys,

Last night I decided to really clean the barrel down to bare metal, so I removed the carbon with Butches bore shine, then used wipeout until it was spotless, ran an oil patch and then a dry patch.

I went out today to do some testing and decided I'd shoot a group with the first 3 rounds, just to see how it behaved after a good cleaning. Just for reference, I had 1/4 down and 1/4 left in the scope compared to the other group. The first 3 shots went .196" Center to Center. The diamond bullseye is 1/2" on a side.

I did a brass life test over the next couple hours that I will post on a thread of it's own.

338EdgeGroup9-24-08.jpg

If I keep working on it, this gun might eventually be a shooter! :D

AJ

AJ is that a 3 grove barrel? i just ordered a 31" pac nor 3 grove for a edge on a savage action. What is the oal on your round and did you send them a dumby round
this post helped answer some ?? i had on it thanks. That is a great looking /shooting rifle you should enjoy it. grear job

AJ is that a 3 grove barrel? i just ordered a 31" pac nor 3 grove for a edge on a savage action. What is the oal on your round and did you send them a dumby round
this post helped answer some ?? i had on it thanks. That is a great looking /shooting rifle you should enjoy it. grear job

It's a 5 groove 10" twist super match SS barrel.

OAL is 3.820" and no I didn't send a dummy round.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,
AJ

2mq6nt4.gif

You'll never hit it if I'm the one holding it... :( You know what I mean?

ge( It's a shooter, I'm drooling.

Congrats!

AJ I did not think a Savage could look that good. It seemed like you just picked a load and went out and shot those groups. I wanted to ask, did you get those groups with the first load you tried? Or did you work up loads to get those results.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.