Ruger American G2 or Howa Mini for 223?

Which factory rifle?

• Ruger American Gen2

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Howa Mini

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

megastink

I'm wanting to acquire a lightweight .223 Rem hunting rifle and shoot the 77gr TMK based off of the success on big game of the guys over on Rokslide (link below). I've decided to buy a factory rifle that meets my needs. It will be unsuppressed, possibly suppressed in the future. I'm a huge savage fan, but all of their barrels are 9 twist, and you need a 1:8 to stabilize the heavier bullets. My search has brought me to two affordable options: The Ruger American Gen2 and the Howa Mini. I'm hoping SOMEONE on here has one of these rifles and shoot a similar load out of it. I'd love to hear from that person, but feel free to give me your recommendation and your justification for it.

This rifle also comes with a 1 in 8 twist in .223 if you are looking for another option.
Tikka T3x Super Varmint 223 Remington

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241026-184729_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20241026-184729_Samsung Internet.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20241026-184815_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20241026-184815_Samsung Internet.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I have a Howa in 223, it was my ex-wife's rifle. This one is 8" twist and has a Boyd's laminate stock on it, very accurate as it is, no mods other than stock. It was a 'Muddygirl' stock when acquired and was CHEAP!
I forget which model Boyd's it has, but it is a target model with beaver tail fore end.

I'm not a fan of the Ruger American, haven't handled one yet that felt 'good' in the hands, they just feel cheap and nasty to me.

Cheers.

I would get the Howa. At the same time I would rethink the 77 TMK, but hey, what does the manufacturer know. Ive seen how they act when hitting coyotes. Sometimes they work good, sometimes they explode.
If you look through that thread and you'll find a people saying they won't use them anymore after ..... or they worked great until.... but you can listen to the people hunting elk at 400 yards with a .223🤣🤣🤣🤣. I'm sure it's what most guides recommend for big game.......

I would get the Howa. At the same time I would rethink the 77 TMK, but hey, what does the manufacturer know. Ive seen how they act when hitting coyotes. Sometimes they work good, sometimes they explode.
If you look through that thread and you'll find a people saying they won't use them anymore after ..... or they worked great until.... but you can listen to the people hunting elk at 400 yards with a .223🤣🤣🤣🤣. I'm sure it's what most guides recommend for big game.......
I will listen to the people who actually killed big game with it and posted the results. Thank you for your contribution.

Recent Posts