Ruger American G2 or Howa Mini for 223?

Which factory rifle?

• Ruger American Gen2

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Howa Mini

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

megastink

I'm wanting to acquire a lightweight .223 Rem hunting rifle and shoot the 77gr TMK based off of the success on big game of the guys over on Rokslide (link below). I've decided to buy a factory rifle that meets my needs. It will be unsuppressed, possibly suppressed in the future. I'm a huge savage fan, but all of their barrels are 9 twist, and you need a 1:8 to stabilize the heavier bullets. My search has brought me to two affordable options: The Ruger American Gen2 and the Howa Mini. I'm hoping SOMEONE on here has one of these rifles and shoot a similar load out of it. I'd love to hear from that person, but feel free to give me your recommendation and your justification for it.

This rifle also comes with a 1 in 8 twist in .223 if you are looking for another option.
Tikka T3x Super Varmint 223 Remington

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241026-184729_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20241026-184729_Samsung Internet.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20241026-184815_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20241026-184815_Samsung Internet.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I have a Howa in 223, it was my ex-wife's rifle. This one is 8" twist and has a Boyd's laminate stock on it, very accurate as it is, no mods other than stock. It was a 'Muddygirl' stock when acquired and was CHEAP!
I forget which model Boyd's it has, but it is a target model with beaver tail fore end.

I'm not a fan of the Ruger American, haven't handled one yet that felt 'good' in the hands, they just feel cheap and nasty to me.

Cheers.

I just picked up a Ruger gen 2 in 300 BO. I was leaning towards a savage cause I have everything to work on them. I was impressed with new stock not a cheap plastic stock. It changed my mind

Thanks

Buck

Recent Posts