New to reloading

Just getting started reloading. I used a hornady manual to follow on 175 gr eld x for my 7 prc. H4831sc with 175 gr eld x . Max load shows 63.8 for 2950fps. My 62.3 gr loads were reading 3058fps. Shooting a CA 26 inch barrel. Is this normal to be that much higher on speed??

I completely agree with the barrel length comments and would also ask what Chronograph are you using ?? Are you able to compare your velocity reading with a friend's chronograph ????Also what powder scale are you using ! I always weigh the pan twice . Once when the powder dumps it and the RCBS 1500 beeps , the I gently remove the pan, shake it to level the powder , then re weigh it ! Extra step but it makes me comfortable! So in my mind 40 fps or more , is the barrel length, so now your looking for 60 fps (possibly). If your Chronograph is off by 1 percent that's another 30 fps. ( possibly )So now your looking to find where 30 FPS came from ! IMHO !!!!

Just getting started reloading. I used a hornady manual to follow on 175 gr eld x for my 7 prc. H4831sc with 175 gr eld x . Max load shows 63.8 for 2950fps. My 62.3 gr loads were reading 3058fps. Shooting a CA 26 inch barrel. Is this normal to be that much higher on speed??
Welcome to LRH, and enjoy! As with anything else, YMMV. The manual is simply a guide. Go with your chrono readings for actual velocity. Take your time and enjoy the learning process. Good luck!

A rough estimate for the gain/loss of velocity due to barrel length is 25fps per inch. Naturally, it depends on many variables but the 25fps is a good estimate.

In a 26" 7PRC barrel, I limit the 175/180gr bullets to 3,000fps. At that velocity, I see no signs of excess pressure except that I start to get clickers. I do have an 7PRC-AW chamber but clickers still do happen. FWIW - I'm using Peterson brass.

So I was using the Caldwell precision ballistics chrono. It seems accurate as my factory 175 eldx were shooing 2860 average and the lot is the slower powder from hornady. I double and triple checked my powder measures. My scale is cheap and I need a better one but it's the lyman pocket scale and I think it will work for now as long as I keep checking it. As for pressure signs I'm new and not sure what I'm looking for. Primers seem still flat to the case. Itching to get back out to the range to try some more, got the 300 wby brass in the tumbler. Also I weighed with the bullet on the scale, turning it on, dropping uniflow powder in then weighing, I usually got within .1 then I would trickle to get it where I wanted it. Is this accurate or something you guys don't recommend. I'll take the advice n info thanks.

Last edited:
I was taught from a DISTINGUISHED NRA High Power shooter. Accuracy over velocity was the goal. Proven personally to be true. Read Major Plaster books. Get yourself a good Chronograph. My personal handloads are as reliable as the federal match ammo used by the tactical shooters from law enforcement. Simply put by the officer "the reason we use commercially produced match ammunition" "LAWYERS". He was opening up a new 2,000 round lot for duty use. The remaining rounds of his current duty lot would be used for weekly practice. He was documenting velocity using a Chronograph to print 3 ten round strings for possible court testimony.

So I was using the Caldwell precision ballistics chrono. It seems accurate as my factory 175 eldx were shooing 2860 average and the lot is the slower powder from hornady. I double and triple checked my powder measures. My scale is cheap and I need a better one but it's the lyman pocket scale and I think it will work for now as long as I keep checking it. As for pressure signs I'm new and not sure what I'm looking for. Primers seem still flat to the case. Itching to get back out to the range to try some more, got the 300 wby brass in the tumbler
Most loads on reloading manuals have a built-in safety net, even at maximum. If you follow the manual recommendations, you should be safe, but always proceed with caution. Most reloading manuals (I have Hornady's 10th ed) briefly cover the basic pressure signs. As you gain experience, you will learn those not covered in your manual (i.e., bolt lift, etc.). This is why I noted that you should take your time and enjoy the learning process.

I see max load was 63.9 I topped out at 62.3. I checked the scale multiple times with the 100 gram weight. My Christensen bolt is slowly getting better but with factory loads I had 2 times it locked up from pressure build up I'm guessing. I clean it often now which seems to be helping. Gun has around 80 rounds thru it now.

Recent Posts