Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor Review

I have got 120 rnds thru my new RPR in 6.5 CM...it does shoot great 5/8 to 3/4 MOA w 140 Amax's....very well built and designed rifle..yes things were done to keep cost down...and for under $1000 you cant beat it. A side note...olesingleshot may want to reload for his 6.5.....7000 rnds of match ammo @ 1.25 (closer to $1.40) x 7000=$8750.00 WOW...my lot of Hornady Match ammo had an big extreme spread of 93fps...reload and get that down to 30 or less will make for some great shooting...just my 2 cents worth

Bartlein or 5R barrels are in great favor now. If I can chose I pick Bartlein. I am writing up the RPR in Creedmoor. It did well. You can get a lot of rounds out of any good barrel in Creedmoor if you clean and do not shoot it HOT. The 140 Amax cartridge is not a barrel burner. The rifle I shot with 7000+ rounds was shot using factory 140 Amax only.

I have a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor also as a hunting rifle.

I am messing around with a Weatherby vanguard s2 in 6.5 cm,I have bin playing with 140 gr bergers (vld hunting) &h4350,got them doing around 3/4" @ 100 and I am now trying the nosler 129 lrab,I have workrd it up to max with H4350 and its doing 1" groups @ 100 its good enough for hunting deer now I figure but going to start trying to lengthen them out to the lands and see if they tighten up a bit more.I have had a few vanguards and they all have shot very well.I have a 6.5 -06 that I use for long range targets but seen the van in the creedmoor and thought that it will make a very nice deer gun.

I shot it with all the factory ammunition available. Normally I would reload but the rifle has to go back. Contrary to popular belief I do not own all the rifles I T&E. I wish I could. What is great about the Creedmoor is a non-reloader can shoot match ammo fairly inexpensively. Hornady keeps the 140 AMAX prices down. Yes , it is slightly less expensive to reload.

Besides my extremely accurate 6.5 Creedmore Ruger Precision Rifle I also have a 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator.

The RAP shoots 1/2" groups with Hornady's ELD-X Precision Hunter factory ammo which as good as I get with my RPR shooting Hornady ELD-M match ammo. I'm very happy with my Predator and will use it this year (2016) for mule deer and antler-less elk in northern Nevada. I topped it with a SWFA 5-15 x 42 mil/mil, FFP scope. Like the rifle it is a lot for the money.

It appears Ruger has finally found the recipe for merging accuracy and low cost with these rifles. I am truly amazed that I can get such accuracy for the price.

I'll put a Timney trigger and a Boyd's laminated stock on my Predator because it is worth it on such a good shooting rifle.

Eric B.

UPDATE:
I now have both the Ruger Amer.Predator and the Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM

I've used the Predator for hunting(unsuccessfully,so far) and the RPR for competition.

Both are very accurate with Hornady 140 gr. ELD-M in the RPR and 143 ELD-X in the Predator.

I put a 5- 15 x 42 SWFA scope on the Predator and a Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 scope the RPR. Both are mil/mil turrets and reticle.

As you can see, I love the Rugers and 6.5CM.

Eric B.

yeah, me too.....RPR, RAP, RHP

IMG_0937_zpsrwvqmtbb.jpg

Last edited:
Huntsman22,

What chassis did you use to replace your stock on your Predator?

It looks really good and what is the weight on it by chance if you know or have that available?

Thanks much,
Cam

How about a review of the Ruger American or Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor?? My RAP shoots 34" Moa consistently in factory trim.

Now that I've got a Boyd's Classic laminated stock on it and a Timney trigger I'm expecting even better, especially when I start hand loading.

I'm sure a lot more folks have one of these American rifles than a Ruger No. 1.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts