Ruger #1 in 6.5-284 Review

I own a No.1 chambered 300 Wby Magnum and it took a lot of modification to get it to shoot consistently. I was suprised my shoulder withstood the trial period, it's a kicker.

I believe I'd choose another manufacturer over Ruger and the No.1 considering what I had to do to get a consistent group.

For me, it's more of a wall hanger than a viable hunting tool.

I am the author and there are three reasons I used lower velocities. I do not see the sense in shooting out a barrel in 800 rounds just for 100-200fps. I have had both shoulders operated on and I do not like recoil and since I do most of my shooting off a bench, lower velocity seems best so I can enjoy the rifle with the luxury to go faster, bigger if I want. I shot a nice buck with it and the deer went straight down. It is like having a finely tuned sports car. I don't see the need to keep it floored all the time. BUT I can if I want.

Well, I'm not a proponent of hyper muzzle velocity either because the higher the velocity the more frictional resistance, heat of combustion of propellant and resultant barrel wear takes place.

In fact, I tend to stay within the median velocity range (for any caliber) and compensate by sending a heavier pill, but then, my hunting consists mostly of less than 500 yards, oftentimes much less.

I've never shot out a barrel yet and don't plan to.

Probably why I like my 308. That barrel will outlast me.

I am the author and there are three reasons I used lower velocities. I do not see the sense in shooting out a barrel in 800 rounds just for 100-200fps. I have had both shoulders operated on and I do not like recoil and since I do most of my shooting off a bench, lower velocity seems best so I can enjoy the rifle with the luxury to go faster, bigger if I want. I shot a nice buck with it and the deer went straight down. It is like having a finely tuned sports car. I don't see the need to keep it floored all the time. BUT I can if I want.

Fine and dandy if shooting for your own purposes, but when done as part of a review, it doesn't tell anyone what the full capability of the rifle looks like. A few max loads for test will have little effect on ultimate barrel life and the 6.5-284 is not known for recoil even at max loads.

You may have a finely tuned sports car or you may not. Driving it around the block at 25 MPH isn't likely to tell anyone much about its capabilities. No one says you have to KEEP it floored. If you are not going to test it, you may as well be driving a Prius.

I once owned a Browning 1885 in 7MM Rem Mag and during one of my stupid spells let it slip out of my hands. I love single shots. I even had a Ruger NO.1 Varminter in .300 Win Mag that I never even shot that I sold to a fellow hunter up in Wyoming because he had his stolen out of his truck and I felt for him because he really was in love with his old rifle and seeing I didn't need the Ruger and being a "good" guy I sold him mine to replace his lost rifle. What are friends for right? I had stumbled across it at a steal price and sold it to him for what I paid for it. We fellow gun lovers and hunters have to take care of each other and I for one would never take advantage of a friend's misfortune. I have been looking for another one ever since with zero luck but that's ok as I was happy to help out a friend!

A good single shot is one of those guns I want...but don't need.

I ran across a great deal on a #1 in .458 Win Mag. Had it been chambered for .45/70 Gov't, I'd of bought it.

If you want a Ruger #1 it would be wise to buy one soon. They are going out of production. I have heard they will go out of production totally and that they may be made in a limited number for one supplier. Ruger has not made an official announcement. Either way existing #1 prices will start to rise.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.