Ruger #1 in 223 rem

Ross Seyfried wrote an article on shooting the #1 in fast twist 22-250 IIRC at 600-800 yards. He used Scenar or Sciracco 80 Grain bullets and was getting like a 3" group. If I can find it I'll let you know.

I have a Ruger #1 in 22-250. It is one of the most accurate rifles I own. It is a Laminated stock, Stainless steel receiver and Bull barrel. Will shoot 5 shot groups inside an inch @ 300 yards every time. Great for varmints and just an all around fun rifle. Probably would have never bought it but I won it at a sports dinner. Glad that I got it now.

I seldom have as good as groups from my #1's as I do from my 700's. Having said that, I LOVE the #1, and single shots in general. I am not crazy about operating a #1 from the bench. Lowering the lever usually entails more gun movement as you need to raise the gun higher for the lever to open. The bolt gun is more convenient.

I was a crazy collector of Ruger #1 rifles. I had every 1V except a 300WM and 7mmMAG. The 1V heavy barrel version can be very accurate. But its a gamble. Out of all the 1V rifles I had, only two would consistently shoot under 1".....a 6PPC and a 220Swift.....All the others were 2"+ guns.

The sporter barrel Ruger#1 are another story. In all my years I never actually saw a #1 Sporter that I would consider accurate. Some were horrible....Some were 2'+ guns. I never owned one that was under 2".

But they are so darn pretty and so well made. If only Ruger had figured out how to make good barrels, they would have been great!

I shoot a Ruger #1 in 6mm Remington. I have a very accurate rifle and will shoot submoa all day long. I use it mainly for hunting deer and have taken many whitetail and muleys with it. Even use it in the prarrie dog towns sometimes. Some shots close in and some out past 300 yards. But it is very finicy about the bullet/powder combo. I have tried all types of bullets, some fancy, some cheap. Mine seem to lihk flat based bullets and wont shoot boattails worth a darn.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dunning the Ruger #1. I'm a huge fan! I've shot a bunch of deer and a bear with my sporter in 270. Loved that gun!
But we are talking a 6" target at usually no further than 100yds. The Ruger #1 is more than capable at this task.
But now take it to a 200yd EGG shoot......Even the 6PPC and the 220Swift couldn't compete....Fliers would get you every time.
I wrote articles on www.rvbprecision.com about "Accurizing The Ruger #1"....Love trying to get them to shoot......No Joy!
I sold all of them and only kept a 22-250 simply because it has the most beautiful wood you ever saw on a factory rifle....Like I said, They SURE are pretty!

I was a crazy collector of Ruger #1 rifles. I had every 1V except a 300WM and 7mmMAG. The 1V heavy barrel version can be very accurate. But its a gamble. Out of all the 1V rifles I had, only two would consistently shoot under 1".....a 6PPC and a 220Swift.....All the others were 2"+ guns.

The sporter barrel Ruger#1 are another story. In all my years I never actually saw a #1 Sporter that I would consider accurate. Some were horrible....Some were 2'+ guns. I never owned one that was under 2".

But they are so darn pretty and so well made. If only Ruger had figured out how to make good barrels, they would have been great!

RoyB, Like the target I posted from my 300 WM, my brother has a 25-06 and my dad a 30-06, and those other two will almost shoot as well as my rifle, mine is a consistent 1/4 MOA rifle, and there's aren't far behind. I have another in 257 Roberts, that I have not done much load work up on, but it has shot everything so far at 1" or better, and I am sure I can better that. All of these rifles are 1-Bs with the 26" sporter barrel.

That's a nice looking rifle. I've never thought of the .223 as a "long range" round. That said I have a TAC chambered in .223 that drives tacks (no pun intended) at 300 yds. But I don't consider 300 yards to be long range. Maybe it's a perception problem on my part :)

I have the opportunity to buy a Ruger #1 in 223 with a 25" barrel which will mainly be used for target shooting out to 600 yards.
My question is is the #1 accurate enough for this?
If not I'll get a rem 700 bdl varmint which seems to be up for it.
I would check out the new 224 valkyrie. Has some pretty impressive ballistics.

Figuring to shoot at 600yds with some degree of precision?

Probably been said, but.... Unless you have a 1:7 or maybe 1:8 twist barrel you will NOT get the results you seek. The only factory barreled .223 with suitable barrel is the Tikka with 1:8 twist.

Most factory varmint .223rem chambered rifles were 1:12 twist, Rem used 1;14.... Works great for the light 40-52 match bullets, but for consistency at over 350yds, you need a 75-80gr bullet. talking BTHP design.

If you're buying used, then factor in a new custom barrel (about $600); Tikka Varmint with 1:8 twist would be the best new option. Could also go with an AR-15 with a varmint upper. White Oak makes one, has a 24" barrel. Got a decent AR in the rack already? Go with a varmint upper and buy the Giesele trigger you've been wanting...

Ruger #1 is a beautiful rifle, but not conducive to best accuracy due to 2pc stock. Of course, no limits on what you choose, but best to choose a Proven Performer so you have fewer variables to work with. Ruger has their tactical series with float-tube stock, if done in .223 w/fast twist barrel, it may be the best option for a bolt gun.

Any time you choose a falling or swinging (Peabody, Martini, etc.) action and fit it with a sporting barrel, you have to look at bedding, either to avoid mechanical interference due to barrel warming OR to dampen harmonics in a longish/lightish weight barrel.

Combustion heat does interesting things, excessive cleaning often requires one to three (1-3) shots to restore accuracy and all of these factors can then cause other factors to come into play, i.e. partial bearing of breechblock against rear of receiver and an angled firing pin travel. I understand that the Ruger is the least affected by a firing-pin-travel that is off-angle to the bore. Some people claim that the off-axis travel is an issue with the Ruger No. 1 and No. 3 rifles BUT i suspect, given the number of extant, truly accurate No. 1 and No. 3 rifles with factory barrels, that:

it only becomes a sisgnificant factor when their are other issues to be dealt with on a particular rifle.

@johngibbs222 I wish you the best of luck with your rifle. It is a beauty. I may be biased because I have long considered the No. 3 to be the better looking action.

680A4C0E-7D0A-454D-A0A8-2B1A82D87B9C.jpeg
56A0A7DE-2E42-495E-88D4-A653CD54E6B0.jpeg

Top is 25-06 under minute of angle and a joy to shoot,bottom is 375 H&H over minute of angle and a terror to shoot could be why it doesn't show its potential

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts