Note keeping Tips?

Every rifle has its own book. I keep everything that I measure, load, shoot, try, want to try, don't want to try (you get the point) written down in the book. Everything is dated and documented. Each page is a new date so as not to confuse myself. I try to get the little books with small grid paper so I can record my range session hits as to be able to recall them without having to dig through my targets. I also keep my targets. It would drive me nuts if I didn't do this. Life is so hectic as is, I cannot imagine trying to remember specifics for load development from day to day without notes.

I recently got a 3 ring binder for each rifle. Serial number and modifications are listed on the inside cover. Loads are listed with all pertinent data such as recipe, velocity, COAL, jump to rifling etc. Document protectors hold targets for future reference. I should just enter all of this into a computer.
Yeah that's where I'm getting clustered, trying to have 1 small notebook for multiple rifles. That's a good idea to have 1 for each rifle. I don't think I'd use a computer as much as a notebook so I'd probably miss a few things or wouldn't grab it as often to look up things. Unless 1 had a desktop in their reloading room, then that would be nice.

1 notebook for all rifles or 1 for each?
1 for each rifle.

I have a set of 18 school lockers in my reloading room that I have labeled by cartridge. I keep my ammo in a specific locker, and the data notebooks all stay in the locker with the ammo as well as targets from load development. I have numerous lockers that share between two rifles, but most are similar or duplicate cartridges.

Last edited:
Yeah that's where I'm getting clustered, trying to have 1 small notebook for multiple rifles. That's a good idea to have 1 for each rifle. I don't think I'd use a computer as much as a notebook so I'd probably miss a few things or wouldn't grab it as often to look up things. Unless 1 had a desktop in their reloading room, then that would be nice.
50+ of hard copy tracking log is too much for me to manage. I have a spreadsheet with multiple tabs.

1716175729771.png

1716175819752.png

Regardless of what system is used to track, one must have the discipline to record what is needed to track. I do not have my laptop in my reloading room.

1 notebook for all rifles or 1 for each?
I use the 1 book per rifle too.
Of all the bs on my reloading bench, a stack of log books really isn't in the way of anything for me, but full discloser, it's a a big bench, and I have a whole dedicated room for it.

1 3-ring binder for each rifle. Load development targets and most other shooting out to 300yds are shot on 8 1/2 x 11 targets which have 1, 2, or 4 target spots on them depending on how uncertain I am about where the shots will land. Each shot is spotted from the bench and noted on a sketch of the target. After returning from the range, all the relevant data is transferred by hand from the sketch to the target which is then filed in that rifle's binder. Before-hunt sight checks are also shot this way. Managing the data on the actual target gives me a "close" connection to what's happening. Reviewing targets and the details of the load for is an excellent way to let my wife watch what she wants on the telly while I'm still, technically, there.

This is what I used for lots of years:

1716214522283.png

Usage often led to the holes in the pages tearing and needing reinforcement. PIA!

Now I use the computer and a generic library program.

😁

My question to all the computer guys is how do you get all the info from the field, or the reloading bench to your computer? You must take notes then transfer them? Computers are great backup for sure but most days i feel like using computers as targets!! Hahaha

Recent Posts