Ruger #1 in 223 rem

johngibbs222

I have the opportunity to buy a Ruger #1 in 223 with a 25" barrel which will mainly be used for target shooting out to 600 yards.
My question is is the #1 accurate enough for this?
If not I'll get a rem 700 bdl varmint which seems to be up for it.

You got to ask the question "how many folks out there using a Ruger #1 for accuracy or long range shooting; competition or otherwise" I would bet not many and the why? I think I would pass on this a take a chance on a Remington. Get yourself a 5 R and chances you will have an accurate rifle. Just my opinion.

I don't do competitions, simply shoot to get the best out of my gun. As it happens I just bought a ruger #3 in 223 and, if it doesn't shoot good, have it rebarreled so it can handle 5.56 as well.
FWIW I gave the UK equivalent of $260 for the rifle including scope, mount, hard case and shipping.
As it's in the uk rebarreling is not as cheap as it is in the US due to so little competition, the gun also has to be shipped to a proof house after the work and that normally adds $200 in proof costs and shipping as it either has to be done face to face or via a registered firearms dealer. (it's illegal to sell an unproofed gun in the UK, this dates back to the 1800s when a lot of guns burst).
Good thing is the work includes threading the muzzle for a moderator so I can attach my 22 cal moderator straight on.

You got to ask the question "how many folks out there using a Ruger #1 for accuracy or long range shooting; competition or otherwise" I would bet not many and the why? I think I would pass on this a take a chance on a Remington. Get yourself a 5 R and chances you will have an accurate rifle. Just my opinion.

My 300 WM Ruger No 1 is pretty dang accurate. It will hang with most customs. It's a consistent 1/4 MOA gun. When I say consistent, I don't mean that I shot one 1/4 MOA group. I mean, if I do my part, it shoots 1/4 MOA or less, and has done it many times.

Last edited:
.....You got to ask the question "how many folks out there using a Ruger #1 for accuracy or long range shooting; competition or otherwise" I would bet not many and the why? I think I would pass on this a take a chance on a Remington. Get yourself a 5 R and chances you will have an accurate rifle. Just my opinion......

I don't disagree with the conclusion, but once one understand the issues, and fixes the No. 1's can deliver the kind of day in day out accuracy required. Good barrels mated with good stocks, properly bedded, and a good trigger are essential to both.

I don't disagree with the conclusion, but once one understand the issues, and fixes the No. 1's can deliver the kind of day in day out accuracy required. Good barrels mated with good stocks, properly bedded, and a good trigger are essential to both.

Mine has never had any issues to fix, it is 100% stock from the factory, and does this consistently. That's 5 shots out of my Ruger No 1 300 WM at 100 yds, those are 1" blocks.

fe6d82f7d1abaf571c2d464c7899fcae.jpg

I had a #3 that shot similarly, nice to have everything you need from the factory. I just meant both bolt, and falling block, need good barrels, stocks, and triggers to perform. Comparing good rifles, to good rifles the difference can be very small.

I had a #3 that shot similarly, nice to have everything you need from the factory. I just meant both bolt, and falling block, need good barrels, stocks, and triggers to perform. Comparing good rifles, to good rifles the difference can be very small.

Very true! I agree, it's nice to find that special rifle that needs nothing but to be shot.

I shoot in competition matches out to 500 meters. A that distance, you need the heaviest bullets you can get, and shoot them in a fast twist barrel. A good example might be: 75 grain bulletts in a 7.5 or 8 twist barrel. My guess is that the Ruger#1 is a 12 or 14 twist, limiting your bullet selection to 55 grains. Not good for extreme long range use.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts