Ruger #1 in 223 rem

Yes it is, as I said in post #5. It is cheap enough to rebarrel together with screw cutting for a moderator and the new barrel will be 26" and 5.56 nato, 8" twist to handle the 62 grain bullets.

NO and NO

5R is a good one. I hat Tikkas but their accuracy is there.

I had a BEAUTIFUL #1 in 6.5 Creedmoor, wouldnt shoot better than 1.5" at 100

600 yards is a LONG way

Look at the Bergara rifles VERY accurate

I would go custom though

I have had a lot of #1's, still have one in a 30/40 Kraig.

Shot p.dogs and chucks with them for years.

I also shot benchrest for years, and serious accuracy freek.

Ruger #1's have a couple of issues to deal with. First, they are never inexpensive. You are dealing with a stock, action, and forearm all separate from each other and harmonics can be terrible between the three.

A few gunsmiths know how to deal with #1's, not many. Knowing how to bed the forearm correctly is a work of art.

Second is the trigger.

I ended up with a lot of early #1's, and Bill Ruger put some very sorry barrels on some of the first ones with the very beautiful wood, however their stock were to die for.

By the time you get a gunsmith to three point bed the forearm, tune the trigger, you are into some serious cash.

The Remington Stainless bull barrel in a boyd's stock shoots bug holes with many loads. The 5 R version is accurate also and is twisted tighter.

Just a thought, and best wishes!

Have a #1 in .220 swift - bone stock. Shoots 1/2 MOA 200YD groups with 45gr. Viht N160, 50gr HNDY V-Max, CCI 200, Win brass, .005 off lands seating. The .223 version should be able to run similar groups, its just a matter of finding ammo it really likes or hand loading until you get a recipe it really really likes. Obviously, the .223 won't even come close to touching the ballistics performances I'm getting on the .220 so I won't bother typing that out.

Good looking #1. I just picked up one in 375 H&H. Not a rifle to just plink with but have always been a fan of the falling block action.

Thanks for the posts, both positive and one v. negative.
I just love s/s rifles and this itch had to be scratched.
The range I go to has several ranges, it's actually a military range and, as they don't work the squaddies over the weekend it's out for hire.
I don't have to shoot at 600 yds, there's 400,300,200 and 100 opportunities too.

I have had a lot of #1's, still have one in a 30/40 Kraig.

Shot p.dogs and chucks with them for years.

I also shot benchrest for years, and serious accuracy freek.

Ruger #1's have a couple of issues to deal with. First, they are never inexpensive. You are dealing with a stock, action, and forearm all separate from each other and harmonics can be terrible between the three.

A few gunsmiths know how to deal with #1's, not many. Knowing how to bed the forearm correctly is a work of art.

Second is the trigger.

I ended up with a lot of early #1's, and Bill Ruger put some very sorry barrels on some of the first ones with the very beautiful wood, however their stock were to die for.

By the time you get a gunsmith to three point bed the forearm, tune the trigger, you are into some serious cash.

The Remington Stainless bull barrel in a boyd's stock shoots bug holes with many loads. The 5 R version is accurate also and is twisted tighter.

Just a thought, and best wishes!
How do you 3 point bed them?

The Ruger #1 is a fun rifle to shoot and looks very good. If accuracy is not up to what you need, there is a cheap fix that floats the forearm. It's called a "forearm hanger" and is available online at several places. Even that liberal California Communist auction place.

So if you like the rifle, go for it and you'l be glad you did.

its HE77 to mount a high magnification scope on one too. I had to have a custom Cantilever mount made by a guy in Las Vegas. Found him on EBAY.

thought i saved pictures. It had an exhibition grade stock, thats the reason I bought it. Then sold it and got my money back

I really love how #1's look and feel. I've owned 2, accuracy was certainly minute of deer out to a few hundred yards. That's a small sample size, certainly many folks have gotten good or even great accuracy form their #1's. I know there are different eras where Ruger made their own, vs having someone else make barrels for them. Could be one or the other tends to have better accuracy? All that said, even among casual target shooters at 600 yards, you don't see a ton of #1's on the firing line, let alone the winner's circle.

Mine required some work, had to float and bed forearm. And trigger job! Originally would be accurate but as temp and humidity changed it wiuld change impact point but stay accurate! The pressure point on forearm in changing weather caused group movements! Floating and bedding fixed it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts