RL-16 for 280 Ackley?

I've been using the RL26 in my 280AI with 160 accubonds, 25in 9 twist, kept adding 1 grain till started seeing pressure signs. Got to over 3k started seeing extractor marks, but at 2992 fps they look good, 61gr RL26 160 Accubond ( moly coated) with G210m primers, and always start lower and work up, Stay safe!

I'm on my second AI. I've shot 140 grain BT's most the time the last 30 years, but switched last year to 150 grain LRAB's and Ballistic Tips. The LRAB's were real ticky about seating depth and I was able to get better groupings with the 150 grain BT's (.081" three shot group!). My rifle prefers RL-19 in both 140 and 150 grain loadings. In the past, I've used IMR-4831 as my go-to powder, as well as RL-22, with excellent results. I shot out three barrels in my first Jarrett AI culling does (legally). Each new barrel preferred 4831 or 22, with one barrel preferring RL-15...I'm not kidding. My new Jarrett is RL-19 all the way. Have not had a single AI rifle show a preference for either 4350, which I always thought was strange.

I've been using the RL26 in my 280AI with 160 accubonds, 25in 9 twist, kept adding 1 grain till started seeing pressure signs. Got to over 3k started seeing extractor marks, but at 2992 fps they look good, 61gr RL26 160 Accubond ( moly coated) with G210m primers, and always start lower and work up, Stay safe!

This is exactly where I was at last weekend. 61/26. Pressure up and accuracy was down. My barrel is shorter so I'm sure its little slower..

Ok we got to the range yesterday finally. Like all range sessions, it seems, some good work and some not as hoped.

Good was that I got to shoot my personal 280ai. So on recommendations from other guys with the 280ai and the 143g Hammer Hunter, I decided to give rl26 a go. I was pretty convinced that there was no way I would be able to get enough into the case to ever reach pressure. Particularly with the 22" barrel. Pleasantly I was right and wrong. I have this rifle throated long to run the 177g Hammer Hunters if I ever want to, so I am able to seat the 143's out so that the bt is at the neck shoulder junction. This gives an over all length of a bit over 3.5" instead of the saami 3.3". We started with rl26 at 58g for a loafing 2682fps. At this point I was pretty sure there was no way to get enough powder in the case to reach the hoped for 3100fps. We took a 3g jump in the load to 61g for a vel of 2880fps. With a nice, nearly, 70fps per grain increase in vel it was starting to look promising and thinking we might just get some great results. So we took another 3g jump to 64g for a vel of 3111fps. Still showing a very mild load. With room to go up in charge weight I was starting to think that I was going to easily top my 3100fps hope for this rifle. Tried one more g at 65g and the vel was flat at 3113fps. Same pressure signs showing that we had run out of barrel to burn all the rl26. Seeing this we decided that we should give rl23 a go thinking that we should be able to find pressure as well as maybe some higher vel. As it turns out we were able to find mildly firm pressure at 63g and 3146fps. So both powders topped out at 3100fps but the rl26 load was much more mild. Also the rl23 was starting to compress a bit. Hadn't realized it before, but rl23 takes up more case volume than rl26. Interesting... Went back to the rl26 load and loaded a few to check es. Came up with 18fps es, which is acceptable for an accurate load. Will need a little more time to confirm the load is good as it sits, but looks to be about 1.5" at 200y.

So for more normal barrel lengths I think rl26 is a great bet, particularly if you are not limited to a 3.3" coal.

On a side note the old Win model 70 action mated up with the 22" Proof sendero light, mounted in a Boyd's laminated stock, with a small Pain Killer brake, is an absolute pleasure to shoot! Almost no recoil. I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5-20 on it temporarily until I settle on a scope. Thinking I would like to lose some size and weight here.

Ok we got to the range yesterday finally. Like all range sessions, it seems, some good work and some not as hoped.

Good was that I got to shoot my personal 280ai. So on recommendations from other guys with the 280ai and the 143g Hammer Hunter, I decided to give rl26 a go. I was pretty convinced that there was no way I would be able to get enough into the case to ever reach pressure. Particularly with the 22" barrel. Pleasantly I was right and wrong. I have this rifle throated long to run the 177g Hammer Hunters if I ever want to, so I am able to seat the 143's out so that the bt is at the neck shoulder junction. This gives an over all length of a bit over 3.5" instead of the saami 3.3". We started with rl26 at 58g for a loafing 2682fps. At this point I was pretty sure there was no way to get enough powder in the case to reach the hoped for 3100fps. We took a 3g jump in the load to 61g for a vel of 2880fps. With a nice, nearly, 70fps per grain increase in vel it was starting to look promising and thinking we might just get some great results. So we took another 3g jump to 64g for a vel of 3111fps. Still showing a very mild load. With room to go up in charge weight I was starting to think that I was going to easily top my 3100fps hope for this rifle. Tried one more g at 65g and the vel was flat at 3113fps. Same pressure signs showing that we had run out of barrel to burn all the rl26. Seeing this we decided that we should give rl23 a go thinking that we should be able to find pressure as well as maybe some higher vel. As it turns out we were able to find mildly firm pressure at 63g and 3146fps. So both powders topped out at 3100fps but the rl26 load was much more mild. Also the rl23 was starting to compress a bit. Hadn't realized it before, but rl23 takes up more case volume than rl26. Interesting... Went back to the rl26 load and loaded a few to check es. Came up with 18fps es, which is acceptable for an accurate load. Will need a little more time to confirm the load is good as it sits, but looks to be about 1.5" at 200y.

So for more normal barrel lengths I think rl26 is a great bet, particularly if you are not limited to a 3.3" coal.

On a side note the old Win model 70 action mated up with the 22" Proof sendero light, mounted in a Boyd's laminated stock, with a small Pain Killer brake, is an absolute pleasure to shoot! Almost no recoil. I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5-20 on it temporarily until I settle on a scope. Thinking I would like to lose some size and weight here.
Sounds like you are leaning more towards the RL23 for your shorter barrel load correct? Are you planning to experiment with RL-16 or have you ruled that out for now? If you're still planning to experiment with it I think I will too and pick some up today. My rifle should be here any week now and I'm ready to start breaking it in and testing loads.

I'm stuck with the 3.3 range OAL. I am liking the 131 HH makes room for a bit more powder "lost" it my standard length...I have to reorder too and try some with mag primers. Didn't come close to pressure with the hammers yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.