RL-16 for 280 Ackley?

My 22" Proof 280ai just got done. Hoping to get out and shoot it this weekend. Looking for 3100 ish with the 143g Hammer Hunter. We get 3200 fps with 27" barrel and rl16.

I'd be interested in your results after the weekend if you get a chance to shoot it. You going to use RL-16 in your 22" barrel too?
Will start there. If not stellar then will try others. With the shorter barrel I don't think slower powder will be better.

Hammer Bullets with PDR (our patented drive band) will typically produce higher vel than conventional bullets. Particularly when compared to other mono no lead bullets that are grooved or flat baring surface.

My 22" Proof 280ai just got done. Hoping to get out and shoot it this weekend. Looking for 3100 ish with the 143g Hammer Hunter. We get 3200 fps with 27" barrel and rl16.
Shouldn't be a problem....I'm getting 3111 with your 143s out of my 24" bbl 280 Rem with RL26 with .5-.6" accuracy.

Last edited:
May have to re visit rl26.
Thats what my son is building load around right now in 27" barrel 280AI using RL26, 143 Hammer and 215GM primers. I will let you know what accuracy and speed does with this for him. But's way fast so far.......... too fast to talk about til we verify pressures. The 280AI can really hide pressures.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts