RL-16 for 280 Ackley?

Rl26 seems to work well in a lot of different case sizes. If you want to wake up a .243 try it. I shoot a slr which is a 243 pith the shoulder pushed back to 30 degrees. Hold less powder than a 243 and you can push 105 class bullets over 3300 no problem. I also use a 243AI with 115 dtacs and also can run them at 3300. These are 1000 yard rifles with 28 inch barrels. I would also try rl23 in your 280AI. Both powders are very stable and give great es/SD numbers.
Shep

By the way I do believe that the 280AI is probably the best all around do everything hunting round out there. Hear that sound? It's a pot of worms being opened. For sure the best round you can use is the one you feel confident in. But really what in the lower 48 can the 280AI not do and do it well? But not if you don't reload but how many guys on this sight don't reload?
Shep

By the way I do believe that the 280AI is probably the best all around do everything hunting round out there. Hear that sound? It's a pot of worms being opened. For sure the best round you can use is the one you feel confident in. But really what in the lower 48 can the 280AI not do and do it well? But not if you don't reload but how many guys on this sight don't reload?
Shep
That is exactly why I'm building my hunting rifle in that caliber. I can do anything in North America except the big bears and moose (I hear the 6.5x55 Swede shooters disagreeing already) and I have my 338 Lapua for them

Last edited:
I would do bigger for moose but most any stout bullet like a Barnes or nosler partitions or accubonds will do. These are just a few of the great bullets available today. I love the Barnes for hunting. Zero failure on this bullet. I like the ttsx.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.