Rifle advice

So what's your story where a bigger bullet allowed you to make a kill that couldn't have been made with a smaller one?

22 rimfire doesn't have enough velocity for bullet upset or fragmentation, so it is not adequate. 22 centerfires on the other hand, different story.
It's a known fact that the cranium can't put up with additional materials inside it. 40 grain 22LR to the head works in all situations.

So what's your story where a bigger bullet allowed you to make a kill that couldn't have been made with a smaller one?

22 rimfire doesn't have enough velocity for bullet upset or fragmentation, so it is not adequate. 22 centerfires on the other hand, different story.

The 22 rimfire: if you read my post….. I stated "under perfect conditions". Obviously the qualifications would be to place the bullet into the brain! "Fragmentation" not necessary! Thousands of domestic hogs and cattle are put down every year with a 22 rimfire. When I was a kid, I killed a pretty big hog for my grandfather to be processed!

The bigger bullet: I'm not gonna suggest that this couldn't be accomplished by a smaller bullet…..but it would have to have a pretty darn good sectional density and maintain nearly 100% of it's weight!

A shot on a running rag-horn bull elk, at about 80 yards……the bullet entered just left of center, shattering the pelvis, continued forward through the elk taking out the diaphram the left lung, exited at the foreleg pit, re entered the upper foreleg missing the bone while passing through the large upper foreleg muscle, stopping beneath the hide of the outside foreleg!

If you're keeping score…. That's 3 hide penetrations, destruction of a heavy bone (pelvis), traveled the entirety of the elk, while also passing through 2 pretty large muscles!

You make the determination as to what you would prefer to use given these circumstances and the bullet performance! memtb

Last edited:
It's a known fact that the cranium can't put up with additional materials inside it. 40 grain 22LR to the head works in all situations.
I've watched a deer with half its cranium blown off and 1 eye ball dangling below its chin run around, break a leg on a dead tree, and sit there, head up and alert for several minutes. This was with a mighty 300 mag using Barnes 165 tsx at <20 yards.

Depending on the type of boar hunting you're doing it might not be feasible to do both with one gun. If you're talking eradication style boar hunting you're probably going to want a semi auto and don't need as much gun as you'll want for elk. A big boomer elk gun will do just fine if you're killing a couple for meat, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

I'd do an AR15 in 300Blk, 6.5 Grendel, or a similar cartridge for boar. For running shots where hitting the shoulder is a concern I like something more than 5.56, but 5.56 will definitely work especially on small-mid size pigs.

For elk I'd go with a bolt gun in something between 308 and the popular magnums. Your skill as a hunter and shooter is the biggest factor here. If you're not comfortable shooting past a couple hundred yards you don't need more than a 308. If you're comfortable taking longer shots a different cartridge might be wise. Take ammo/component availability into consideration too.

If you're dead set on 1 gun a 308 bolt action or AR with a 18-20" barrel would do it. You're making compromises that can be avoided by getting 2 guns, but it'll do the job.

The 22 rimfire: if you read my post….. I stated "under perfect conditions". Obviously the qualifications would be to place the bullet into the brain! "Fragmentation" not necessary! Thousands of domestic hogs and cattle are put down every year with a 22 rimfir. When I was a kid, I killed a pretty big hog for my grandfather to be processed!

The bigger bullet: I'm not gonna suggest that this couldn't be accomplished by a smaller bullet…..but it would have to have a pretty darn sectional density and maintain nearly 100% of it's weight!

A shot on a running rag-horn bull elk, at about 80 yards……the bullet entered just left of center, shattering the pelvis, continued forward through the elk taking out the diaphrag, the left lung, exited at the foreleg pit, re entered the upper foreleg missing the bone while passing through the large upper foreleg muscle, stopping beneath the hide of the outside foreleg!

If you're keeping score…. That's 3 hide penetrations, destruction of a heavy bone (pelvis), traveled the entirety of the elk, while also passing through 2 pretty large muscles!

You make the determination as to what you would prefer to use given these circumstances and the bullet performance! memtb
Knew I'd get some replies from that!

I've watched a deer with half its cranium blown off and 1 eye ball dangling below its chin run around, break a leg on a dead tree, and sit there, head up and alert for several minutes. This was with a mighty 300 mag using Barnes 165 tsx at <20 yards.

Yep….a good long range squirrel cartridge! 😉😂 memtb

I always get a kick out of the responses to what rifle cartridge should someone buy. It is especially amusing to read comments regarding what would be inappropriate in my mind justified with if you can place the bullet in the right place it will work. I'm a decent shot with my rifles, but I also have been in situations where difficult angles or positions were encountered while hunting. Many times you only get one trigger pull on a quality game animal. Use enough gun to increase your odds of harvesting that animal JMHO.