Remington Alpha 1 revisited

It was a chamber issue, it wouldn't chamber factory ammo by like an 1/8th of an inch. It wasn't exactly close šŸ¤£ Purchased retail.
That can happen from a bad extractor. Or even a froze up ejector won't allow for the bolt to close like that.

LOL ok. Well all I know is when I did it every rifle I cleared was personally test fired by me. Just in the manner I described. I even had a check list that I marked and signed. I'm not sure who you spoke with at Remington. You can post the paper trail on here if you wish.
Probably after you left unless you JUST left. We all know quality went downhill more towards the bankruptcy.šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

At any rate, regardless of who got what from the old manufacturing, the NEW manufacturing chamber seems to be on the less sloppy side. I could BARELY get a Hornady modified case in there to check headspace. That's a very good thing!

And now before someone attacks me for using a Hornady OAL gauge (formerly Stoney Point), because I read many folks' opinions on that system awhile back in another thread, I have used these since WAY back in the Stoney Point days. The system is a tool. Like any tool, it has its limitations. If you know what those limitations are, you can still use the tool to large degree of success under the correct set of conditions within the limitations of the tool. I know you can take 3 different measurements and get 3 different overall lengths. There are a few factors that influence it's ability to accurately tell actual OAL with a given projectile. Doesn't really matter as long as I'm in the infield of the ballpark because guess what??! After I go break in the barrel, the value obtained with the OAL gauge will have increased. Seating depth generally has to be played with anyway. As long as the number (or aggregate) is reasonably close, only minor tweaking will need to be done. It also guarantees exactly how much magazine length I will need. The length of the magazine well is known (2.950"). The longest OAL I have so far is from a Hammer HHT sitting at 2.868" to lands. Even if that's .020" off, as long as I've set the OAL there, I know I have .088" left in my magazine.

That's all I'm going to say about that topic. Using the modified cases also gives me an idea of how much slop is in the chamber. In this one, it ain't much! I thought I had some 103gr Hornady ELD-Xs, but they and my Barnes LRX 95gr are missing. I think they were victims of my last loading room clearance sale. I had given up on high powered 6mms at the time and was playing with a .24 Nosler (still am) with 1:9 twist.

Overall length I'm officially using for the 100 grain ProHunter is 2.718" (yes tip length may be more than .005" different on any bullet within a box - this is just my "official" starting number...because I must have one). The GameKing BTSP is 2.706".
The 95gr Ballistic Tip is 2.780", and the Hammer HHT 90gr is, once again, 2.868".

I will probably go buy more 103 ELD-Xs or maybe some Berger 105 VLD Hunters. I will be running Ramshot Grand or N565 in the GameKing, RL26 in the ProHunter, MRP in the 95gr, and StaBall 6.5, N555, and 204 in the 90gr. I wanted to try the Grand in the 103 grainers, but will have to wait. These are starting points. Many ways to go. This is just me where I'm starting. The Peterson brass is pretty good. Very little trimming needed. Runout good to acceptable in every case so far. Further sorted by primer pocket depth and weight. Not fooling with water capacity. If a gun is going to "shoot," it will do so with decent quality brass with minimal runout. Neck tension was pretty even. I will crimp and mechanically straighten (align with bore) as the final steps (not in that order).

Again, this is not to debate my loading process or techniques, rather to assess THIS new sample rifle of the next generation of Remington Arms. I'm personally very excited!

Stay tuned for a range report.

At any rate, regardless of who got what from the old manufacturing, the NEW manufacturing chamber seems to be on the less sloppy side. I could BARELY get a Hornady modified case in there to check headspace. That's a very good thing!

And now before someone attacks me for using a Hornady OAL gauge (formerly Stoney Point), because I read many folks' opinions on that system awhile back in another thread, I have used these since WAY back in the Stoney Point days. The system is a tool. Like any tool, it has its limitations. If you know what those limitations are, you can still use the tool to large degree of success under the correct set of conditions within the limitations of the tool. I know you can take 3 different measurements and get 3 different overall lengths. There are a few factors that influence it's ability to accurately tell actual OAL with a given projectile. Doesn't really matter as long as I'm in the infield of the ballpark because guess what??! After I go break in the barrel, the value obtained with the OAL gauge will have increased. Seating depth generally has to be played with anyway. As long as the number (or aggregate) is reasonably close, only minor tweaking will need to be done. It also guarantees exactly how much magazine length I will need. The length of the magazine well is known (2.950"). The longest OAL I have so far is from a Hammer HHT sitting at 2.868" to lands. Even if that's .020" off, as long as I've set the OAL there, I know I have .088" left in my magazine.

That's all I'm going to say about that topic. Using the modified cases also gives me an idea of how much slop is in the chamber. In this one, it ain't much! I thought I had some 103gr Hornady ELD-Xs, but they and my Barnes LRX 95gr are missing. I think they were victims of my last loading room clearance sale. I had given up on high powered 6mms at the time and was playing with a .24 Nosler (still am) with 1:9 twist.

Overall length I'm officially using for the 100 grain ProHunter is 2.718" (yes tip length may be more than .005" different on any bullet within a box - this is just my "official" starting number...because I must have one). The GameKing BTSP is 2.706".
The 95gr Ballistic Tip is 2.780", and the Hammer HHT 90gr is, once again, 2.868".

I will probably go buy more 103 ELD-Xs or maybe some Berger 105 VLD Hunters. I will be running Ramshot Grand or N565 in the GameKing, RL26 in the ProHunter, MRP in the 95gr, and StaBall 6.5, N555, and 204 in the 90gr. I wanted to try the Grand in the 103 grainers, but will have to wait. These are starting points. Many ways to go. This is just me where I'm starting. The Peterson brass is pretty good. Very little trimming needed. Runout good to acceptable in every case so far. Further sorted by primer pocket depth and weight. Not fooling with water capacity. If a gun is going to "shoot," it will do so with decent quality brass with minimal runout. Neck tension was pretty even. I will crimp and mechanically straighten (align with bore) as the final steps (not in that order).

Again, this is not to debate my loading process or techniques, rather to assess THIS new sample rifle of the next generation of Remington Arms. I'm personally very excited!

Stay tuned for a range report.
You have a plan for loading. I like it. Certainly want to hear your progress during break in and load development.