Release trigger?

I get why you're curious about release triggers. I've had my fair share of experiences with them, and they can make a significant difference depending on what you're aiming for.
A good release trigger can enhance your control and accuracy. It might take some time to get used to, but it's a game-changer once you do. If you're looking for something top-notch, check out rare breed trigger. They're known for their reliability and precision. I've found them a solid choice for anyone serious about improving their shooting experience.

A good release trigger can enhance your control and accuracy. It might take some time to get used to, but it's a game-changer once you do. If you're looking for something top-notch, check out rare breed trigger. They're known for their reliability and precision. I've found them a solid choice for anyone serious about improving their shooting experience.
Rare breed may be a good trigger but it is not what I was inquiring about. A release trigger doesn't fire when pulled, it fires when it is released only. Shotgunners use them alot, but I have never seen one for a rifle.

My experience with a release trigger (shotgun) is that it seems to go off quicker than a pull trigger. It's not for me.
Agree with this ^^^
I HAD Extensive experience for 15 YEARS on, the Competitive, Trap Field and IT Stop's, your "Flinching",.. BEST !
Our Shotguns were, ALWAYS Pointed Down Range, so that, IF it went Off,.. No One,.. got Shot !!!
They would have, NO Use, for Me,.. on a Rifle ! ( Just, a "Good", Light, Crisp, Trigger Pull,. seems Best, for Rifles ! ).
My .338 Win Mag FLINCH is, Finally,.. going AWAY !
Light crisp Triggers, Light weight, Fast Bullets and,.. BRAKES are, the Ticket for,. Me !!

Last edited:
On My Perazzi's, Keieghoff's and Winchester M-12's,. You had to Open, the Action, WHILE "Holding" the Trigger Back,.. to "Re-Set" !
And, Once in a While, they Do,.. Go Off,. IF NOT,. Extremely, Careful !

I've heard of a set trigger.
Taking the slack out of the primary trigger to make it lighter.

What you are talking about is new to me.
And quite frankly, terrifying.

I know in shotguns some use a release trigger. I'm sure that after the trigger is pulled there is a way to make it safe. Is there a release trigger for rifles? Seems that the idea would help shooters not flinch or jerk the trigger.
Yes, they Do seriously, HELP on "Flinching" with, a Shotgun, in Competitive, Clay Bird Shooting.
It was, Give Up, the Sport of, Trap Shooting or, Change to a Release Trigger for Me, in the late 1970's with, a Model 12 Winch.
What "happens" IS, If you are "Off the Clay Target" Your Mind says DON'T Shoot, therefore, you'd, Flinch ! ( I Don't Believe, Flinch was From Recoil )
After a Few Months of, Learning How to Use, ( Control ) a Release Trigger I became a much Better Shot ( Picking Up the 2-3 Birds, that I would Lose / miss with,.. a Pull Trigger, by Flinching !
I Sold my, Un-Braked, .338 Win Mag Rifle and went to, a .270 WSM ( 1 1/2 Lb Trigger ) shooting, 140 gr Bergers at, 3,200 FPS ( My Field Rifle, "Shooting accuracy",. Improved, greatly ! ) and the Elk Died,.. just as Fast as with, the .338 W M. ! ( The .338 WM "Flinch",.. WAS from, Recoil ! )
Now, I shoot, a 6.5 Creedmoor, Tikka, w/ an, Elay Prec. 1.25 Lb Trigger with, 130 gr ELD- M's @ 2,800 FPS,. Braked ! ( REAL Pleasant, to Shoot !! ).
I HAVEN'T, "Flinched",.. SINCE !

Last edited:
Yes, they Do seriously, HELP on "Flinching" with, a Shotgun, in Competitive, Clay Bird Shooting.
It was, Give Up, the Sport of, Trap Shooting or, Change to a Release Trigger for Me, in the late 1970's with, a Model 12 Winch.
What "happens" IS, If you are "Off the Clay Target" Your Mind says DON'T Shoot, therefore, you'd, Flinch ! ( I Don't Believe, Flinch was From Recoil )
After a Few Months of, Learning How to Use, ( Control ) a Release Trigger I became a much Better Shot ( Picking Up the 2-3 Birds, that I would Lose / miss with,.. a Pull Trigger, by Flinching !
I Sold my, Un-Braked, .338 Win Mag Rifle and went to, a .270 WSM ( 1 1/2 Lb Trigger ) shooting, 140 gr Bergers at, 3,200 FPS ( My Field Rifle, "Shooting accuracy",. Improved, greatly ! ) and the Elk Died,.. just as Fast as with, the .338 W M. ! ( The .338 WM "Flinch",.. WAS from, Recoil ! )
Now, I shoot, a 6.5 Creedmoor, Tikka, w/ an, Elay Prec. 1.25 Lb Trigger with, 130 gr ELD- M's @ 2,800 FPS,. Braked ! ( REAL Pleasant, to Shoot !! ).
I HAVEN'T, "Flinched",.. SINCE !
I definitely agree that there would be some huge changes to the way we think. I at this time don't have an issue with recoil but I keep getting older and the build ideas keep getting large cartridges. Just seems like a release trigger would remove most of the bad things that happen during the trigger pull

I have to, THINK ( Brain Wash myself, before pulling ANY,. Triggers ! ) THAT, my Rifle is,.. NOT,. gonna, hurt Me !
I shoot, a .22-250 w/ 50 gr V-Maxes @ 3,550 FPS for, Varmints and, I can see, Body Parts of, Sage Rats, when Hit ( No Muzzle "Jump"/ recoil ).
A 10.5 lb. 6 XC for Target ( 80 gr / 95 gr to, 108 gr. ) and the 6.5 Creed with, 130 gr. Eld-M's for,.. LR Steel / Antelope / Deer.
( All 3 Rifles ARE, Braked ) Muzzle Blast, at the Shooter is, LOW and, has been well thought Out by, My choice of, Brakes.
NONE of these, have enough Recoil, to "Hurt" me and I've fairly "talked" ( Psyched ) Myself,. into,.. "it" ! ( All really Do have, Light Recoil ! )
All 3 Rifles have, a crisp, light, Max Trigger Pull of,. 1. 25 lbs. so, I'm at, the Point of saying that, My .338 Mag "Flinch" IS, finally,.. Gone !
I'd Re-think "Needing" Large Calibers,. the 6.5 Creed Kills Elk, out to, 600 yards. I'm a Better Shot Today, than when, I was 30 and Had, the .338 Mag !
A 7 mm-08 with a good, 140 or, 150 grain Bullet, would Kill, ANYTHING on the Planet with,. a Well Placed, shot ( at, Reasonable Ranges ).

Last edited:
I thought someone made one for rifles-- it was marketed as some sort of varmint or match trigger iirc- --- but that was a long time ago -- I can't remember the brand and haven't seen any in quite some time

Typically shotgun release triggers could be negated by flipping the safety on if you elected not to shoot. You aren't committed to burning that shell if you decide not to fire that round.

To answer your question directly, no one makes a release trigger for a bolt gun. Whether it's safety or logistics, it's simply not available.