Recoil yes or no!!!

I shoot 9.3x74R, dangerous game cartridge in a 7 pound drilling, double rifle. (Lower Pic). No way to have a muzzle brake. Recoil is noticeable but not punishing to me. I do use a "Limbsaver" recoil pad. I hold tight against my shoulder and point my right elbow down. This bunches my muscles where the butt stock fits like in a socket. Works for me and I am 80 years old.

However I am loading reduced loads for my 500 S&W Magnum. 12.5gr Unique with a 350gr Blue Bullet. No punishing either, but I have not tried full house loads. Probably never will!

Attachments

• Waffen-Krausser-Munchen.jpg
    Waffen-Krausser-Munchen.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I have muzzle brakes on most of my guns over 30 cals as it makes them easier to shoot, but have really found suppressors so the absolute best job--with new shooters, kids, heck me--taking the bark out does more for me than the bite-just does--the only fun I have ever shot that "hurt" was a 500 nitro double that was too short for me--it slapped my cheek and rolled hard into me--not fun.

To a degree... I am a firm believer in muzzle blast causes flinch as much as recoil does. I have taught 2 women to shoot "normal weight" 300 Win Mags with full loads, no brakes. Neither of them weigh over 120 lbs. Practice with lighter rounds was the key. Started with a 22 then 243 then 270 then the 300. The one still practices shooting before hunting season with what I taught her... shoot some 22 then a 243... back to the 22 then throw in a 270... back to 22 then throw in the 300. etc. It's all about trigger control and acceptance of the recoil. She shoots anything she sees (dead) out to 500 yards only because she has no interest in going further.

I think 4 of my guns are threaded, but I don't shoot a muzzle brake on any. 30-378, 9.3x74, 338s, 300 RUM, 300 WBYs and hot loads in my 325 WSM and that gun is 6.5 lbs all in. The only gun that I have a brake on is a 257 WBY with a 26" barrel that the previous owner 6 ports cut into the top. I HATE them and have talked to a gunsmith about cutting that 1.5" of barrel off. Just ruins the look of the barrel and it's LOUD. I view it as incentive to make my first shot count as my ears are ringing after that.

That being said... recoil affects me too. For a friend... he somehow naturally let's his body rock and shoots super accurately with his full house 416 Rigby and hot 338 WM loads. As someone noted... how the stock fits you can turn any cartridge into a nightmare to shoot and this can have huge effects on whether you see bullet impact or not. Technique is huge. I have limb saver recoil pads on a number of guns. I even put one on a 25-06. Why? Because it grips/fits my shoulder better, and you can set the gun down without it wanting to slide away because of the hard plastic end pad. I didn't realize it would make it even more gentler to shoot. Ironically... my group sizing stayed exactly the same.

Knowing how to pull a trigger. positioning... EVERY cartridge has recoil to some degree. If you go off you dont accept some recoil than we should all be shooting BB guns. We have all seen idiots who buy and try to shoot 300 mags, but I bet you have all seen idiots who do the same with 308s and 270s. I've also watched an 82 year old man shoot little groups in his model 70 in 300 Wby with full loads behind 180 grain Corelock (been his load for 40 years) that weighs 8.5 lbs. While he has a cabinet full of guns... that's his hunting rifle.

Personally... I'm accepting some recoil until it physically impacts me. Never felt recoil EVER when shooting at an animal. I can honestly say that there are times I don't recall even pulling trigger. In the same breath... I am NOT carrying a 12 lb rifle anywhere. Not even from the garage to the basement. I am more worried about a heartattack from carrying the weight of a gun then fear of recoil and yes I had scope bite once (elk at 40 yards, swung the rifle straight sideways without turning the body and the 338 WM drew blood both ways). I would love to mount a can on a gun but that's big time illegal up here in Canada.

That all being said... learn properly... practice often... learn your limits and what you need to do to improve them... then truthfully REALIZE what your limits are. Once you do... you'll have the confidence to shoot anything to a distance you know. When someone asks you about recoil, I suspect you'll say something similar. AND... I bet you'll be that person who when some loud mouth shows up at the range with some gun he can't sight in... you'll walk over and prove that's its not the gun regardless of recoil.

It's interesting that these discussion on recoil seem to conflate different things that I personally think should be separate.
For the sake of discussion here are my "definitions"

Handling recoil: This is defined as a tolerance level. How much recoil can you tolerant without developing a flinch. Or from getting injured by the scope or the butt. Or how long you can practice with a given rifle before you're "done".

Managing recoil: This is defined as a level of precision. How well you can manage the recoil from every position such that precision doesn't suffer and point of impact is consistent across all positions.

Many times these are very dependent on application. For example if your application is short range/low precision you might just push the first criteria higher and not emphasize the second. Dangerous game is a good example of this.

Stock design matters a lot too. I know a lot of older designs that were designed around shooting with iron sights seem to kick way harder because the position of the bore relative to the buttstock and shoulder is notably higher. So it doesn't just come straight back, it jumps up. This makes for flinching. I am convinced flinch has very very little to do with "recoil" objectively speaking in terms of how hard a hit to the shoulder one takes, as much as it has to do with our natural reflex to flinch with something flies at our face, especially our eyes, quickly. "Jumpy" rifles feel like they're trying to punch you in the face!
You are absolutely right. That's why a model 94 seems to kick more than a .300 win mag. I'd rather have a root canal than shoot a model 94 (especially in .30-30) more than a few rounds. I have a newer Model 70 in .458 Win Mag that was built by the Browning Arms Company. Says so right on the barrel. Browning redesigned that stock with a larger "foot print" and a straighter comb than the older rifles. They also put a decent pad on it. It is surprising how much diff those changes made in felt recoil.

To a degree... I am a firm believer in muzzle blast causes flinch as much as recoil does.
Brother, you are absolutely correct on this point. Muzzle blast is a big factor. We have an almost instinctual reaction to loud noises. I'm convinced that high pressure cartridges with more severe muzzle blast are much harder for folks to deal with.

You are absolutely right. That's why a model 94 seems to kick more than a .300 win mag. I'd rather have a root canal than shoot a model 94 (especially in .30-30) more than a few rounds. I have a newer Model 70 in .458 Win Mag that was built by the Browning Arms Company. Says so right on the barrel. Browning redesigned that stock with a larger "foot print" and a straighter comb than the older rifles. They also put a decent pad on it. It is surprising how much diff those changes made in felt recoil.

Oh good grief now I'm going back full circle on myself but….really!?!? I've never found a 30-30 levergun unpleasant to shoot haha.

Oh good grief now I'm going back full circle on myself but….really!?!? I've never found a 30-30 levergun unpleasant to shoot haha.
Calvin, maybe . I have several in other calibers like .38-55 and none seem to kick like the .30-30. I started hunting with one when my grandfather gave it to me at skinny age of 14. Steel butt plate and all and I remember that darned thing kicking the snot out of me. They are a fairly light little rifle and the recoil has always seemed, at least to me, to out weight the power of the rifle. I'd rather shoot my .300 RUM or my .458 than a .30-30 model 94. ;)

Calvin, maybe . I have several in other calibers like .38-55 and none seem to kick like the .30-30. I started hunting with one when my grandfather gave it to me at skinny age of 14. Steel butt plate and all and I remember that darned thing kicking the snot out of me. They are a fairly light little rifle and the recoil has always seemed, at least to me, to out weight the power of the rifle. I'd rather shoot my .300 RUM or my .458 than a .30-30 model 94. ;)
I do believe you but it's just so dang hard to believe! 🤣

I have a 450 Ackley…it is not even remotely in the same universe as a 94 30-30. Heck on occasion I've held a marlin 336 or a Winchester 94 (done it with both) out away from my body with one arm, like a huge awkward handgun, and tried to see if I can hit like a cinder block or something with one arm and no shoulder contact. I have done no shortage of this tomfoolery in my youth with 12 guage slugs as well, they do kick but I can hang on no problem.

If I tried that with the 450 Ackley I think it'd teach me a lesson. 🥴

I've never heard anyone say they like recoil, but people sure notice it different. I've got a buddy who dislikes shooti ng a remmy 270 with a hard buttpad, but shots some of my bigger rifles just fine and owns/shoots a 300roy Accumark without issues.

A pic of my kid running my 375 H@H from sitting with full throttle stuff.
View attachment 587557
I feel that way about my 3030, of all the calibers I shoot, the 3030 irks me.