Recoil yes or no!!!

Interesting. Both my son-in-law and I thought the .460 and the .454 were more severe.
I believe it all depends on how you load them. I've mostly use Lil Gun and 350 gr. Hornady for fun at the range. However, running 500 gr with a stiff dose of Lil Gun will make my elbow hurt after a few shots.

90% of the "magic" of 6.5's is that magnum-itis people could finally put bullets where they were supposed to go. Some people shoot magnums well. Honestly, most don't. I didn't for many years. Eventually, I worked at it and figured it out.

I'm surprised so many like brakes. I can't stand them. The blast is more bothersome than the shove, usually. Suppressors - that's another story. After trying them in Africa, I don't shoot or hunt much without them now. I feel sorry for people who live in places where they're too dangerous to trust to citizens.

Sure, you don't feel it or hear it when you're hunting, but muscle memory is a thing, and you're likely to play the same way you practice. Once developed, flinches are soooooo very hard to get rid of. Get scope cut, and it might take months. Have a rifle blow up in your hands and it might not ever go away. The brain doesn't like to be hurt, and it sometimes copes with situations in ways that don't help.

As for myself, light rifles don't work well for me. Fast magnums aren't fun to shoot (.340 Wby, etc.), but I can do it. Big bores aren't so bad. 400 grain bullets out of a .416 Rigby is my usual. I'd much rather shoot it, or the .375 H&H than any big fast magnum. Big bores have plenty of energy, but it comes slowly instead of like a jab. .460 Wby? No thanks!

My two cents: if the recoil of a rifle causes a person to develop a flinch, it is too much.
This. Recoil doesn't cause you to miss, the flinch does. You can flinch whether there is significant recoil or not. Different people have different natural tolerances and tolerance can be increased with practice. That being said the effects are cumulative so if you shoot a bunch at once it will still wear on you even if ok for some number of shots.

Lou

This. Recoil doesn't cause you to miss, the flinch does. You can flinch whether there is significant recoil or not. Different people have different natural tolerances and tolerance can be increased with practice. That being said the effects are cumulative so if you shoot a bunch at once it will still wear on you even if ok for some number of shots.

Lou
Recoil can absolutely cause you to miss! The rifle is moving before the bullet exits the muzzle. The more recoil, the more movement. At the range, prone or on a bench, you can get the perfect shooting position and help mitigate some of the movement (it's still there). While hunting in a field expedient position, you will have even more movement.

I was taught to respect the rifle I was shooting regardless of caliber, develop a good tight comfortable grip with both arms/hands, and proper squeezing of the trigger. The gun whether a shotgun or rifle is going to do what it does, so be ready. The next shot I was taught to be prepared and adjust my style to that particular gun's "attitude" shall we call it. Recoil is like getting kicked by a horse, "the closer you are to it, the less it hurts." No one is immune from recoil, and I don't know anyone who likes getting kicked by a horse, hold the gun right, be prepared and it's like ripping a bandage from a wound. Boom, it's over!

In the recent article on what's wrong with hunting, many people write about rifle recoil. I think if you write one way or another regarding recoil you must state whether this is from a bench or while hunting in the field (offhand or off of sticks). I've really never heard from someone that they got hit hard by recoil when taking game, they more typically talk about the great shot they made and other details of the kill (yardage, windage, meat loss etc.). I'm not a tough young guy and I shoot big bores in Africa each year (and never from a truck) using a thoroughly worn/beat-up body. As I have noted before I never feel the recoil when taking game but a 30-06 and above from the bench with only a recoil pad definitely limits my shooting.
duckklr

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a

Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,

Totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy ****... What a Ride!!' "!
Managing recoil is a key element to shooting well....as is position building, trigger control, et el. Individuals tolerate recoil in different manners, impacted by their skill in managing same. Position building is critical for managing recoil...it's a system. Once one poorly manages recoil, the adverse affects build, causing poor impact placement.

I was taught to respect the rifle I was shooting regardless of caliber, develop a good tight comfortable grip with both arms/hands, and proper squeezing of the trigger. The gun whether a shotgun or rifle is going to do what it does, so be ready. The next shot I was taught to be prepared and adjust my style to that particular gun's "attitude" shall we call it. Recoil is like getting kicked by a horse, "the closer you are to it, the less it hurts." No one is immune from recoil, and I don't know anyone who likes getting kicked by a horse, hold the gun right, be prepared and it's like ripping a bandage from a wound. Boom, it's over!
The funny thing is holding a braked rifle tight actually increases felt recoil IME. Holding it loose gives the brake time to work!

The funny thing is holding a braked rifle tight actually increases felt recoil IME. Holding it loose gives the brake time to work!
....and slap the **** out of ya'. Yeah, that works.....if you're into that fetish....

The most accurate rifles are shot free recoil and you touch a 2 ounce trigger.
The less you need to manage recoil the less interaction with the rifle better the shooting. I remove as much human element as possible to let the gun run as close to its build potential as possible.

Of all the very serious long range shooters I know, I don't think a single one of them grips the rifle, man handling a rifle is anti accuracy and precision!

Last edited:
Recoil can absolutely cause you to miss! The rifle is moving before the bullet exits the muzzle. The more recoil, the more movement. At the range, prone or on a bench, you can get the perfect shooting position and help mitigate some of the movement (it's still there). While hunting in a field expedient position, you will have even more movement.
Agreed. Far easier to print a tiny group with a 6.5PRC than a 300 RUM even though higher B.C. with the RUM.

I used to be a recoil junky, hunted deer with 3" pumpkin slugs for a decade before centerfires were legal here then my first centerfire was a 300 RUM, second was a 204 Ruger, LOL...

Recoil is one thing but muzzle jump is another. You really cannot tame one with out effect on the other. I can tolerate recoil but I can not tolerate muzzle jump to where I cannot see the impact of my shot on (or off) target.

Many years ago, before muzzle brakes I used to have my rifles Magnaported. This did little to help recoil, but it helped tremulously for muzzle jump. From that I graduated to muzzle brakes and then to suppressors. Muzzle brakes not only virtually eliminated muzzle jump but they tamed felt recoil and I thought they were the best thing in the world until I shot suppressed.

With the advent of suppressors, you get an added bonus to less felt recoil and very little to no muzzle jump (depending on caliber), you get sound suppression too.

The first time you shoot an animal with a gun whose muzzle jump is tame enough to see the impact, you will never want to go back to not being able to see that no matter what you shoot.

I also shoot a lot of metal in competitions and for fun at long distance. Being able to see where you missed or hit allows you to make corrections,

If you are shooting a heavy recoiling rifle, you are also experiencing muzzle jump and you do not know what you are missing!