Ramshot Grand on quick load?

What really troubles me is that Hodgdon/Winchester/IMR/Ramshot puts out a new product, but FAILS to provide any guidance regarding load data. I have paid the $$ for Hornady load data -- no load data there for Ramshot Grand or Stabill HD. Nothing on Hodgdon site either.

But the product is on shelves. I have 8 lb of Staball HD. And then to insult the end user by saying they do not divulge "proprietary information" about their product.

You sold me the darn stuff. But you cannot provide load data, nor specs so that 3rd parties can make a guess. Just how the HELL am I supposed to use this FERTILIZER......

Internet is hell for companies, I am sure. Back in the day, they probably provided sample powder to the usual suspects and hoped it would arrive in books someday. Now we have ^^this^^ where we talk and roast them. BUT they need to adapt and be honest or their reputation is MUD.
I guess that depends on what you are looking for. Yes, it is limited at this time, but some are available.

1718936287934.png

1718936359463.png

1718936709788.png

1718936762591.png

1718936844340.png

1718936876470.png

They do not have information for my .338 NMI, but I will use the .338 RUM for my baseline.

Last edited:
They do not support the QL, but they still support the reloading community via their website and all the reloading manuals that uses/tests their powders.
How did QL get information on all of the Hodgdon powders they currently have?

And Hodgdon’s reloading data is garbage. I suppose if you want to shoot anemic SAAMI only loads it’s probably great. I don’t. I only shoot 2 SAAMI cartridges.

How did QL get information on all of the Hodgdon powders they currently have?
You have to ask QL directly.
And Hodgdon’s reloading data is garbage. I suppose if you want to shoot anemic SAAMI only loads it’s probably great. I don’t. I only shoot 2 SAAMI cartridges.
I, too, load SAAMI and wildcat cartridges, and I have no problem using those garbage reloading data as a baseline. I have used plenty of powders from various manufacturers, but no load data is available for my intended purposes. I often benchmark with other reputable LRH members who have the same mindset and interests as I do. Most recently, @Bghunter338 and I have shared load information in our .25 cals using 145 Black Hole and 163 Chinchaga. Bullets There is no loading information in any reloading manuals or websites. I doubt GRT, QL, or similar has any data either. But it never stopped us from exploring other avenues.

QL takes tweaking with 2 or 3 points to make data reliable for your loads.

adjusting for case volume,
cc powder volume,
start pressure,
and everything in "selected propellant" area/section
to meet/coincide with real data (or close to) chrono'd speeds.

problem is, how to add powder info w/o enough info for it? I know you can add new powder info, but never tried to.

say if you add a name, cc's and heat of explosion would it change/add to the unfilled area if you fill in velocity, % of case fill and other known data?

I haven't fully figured out ql as of yet, but does "shot start/ignition" change with primer type or just unrelated?

It was directed to you. You may view my response as bashing them, but its not. Im simply stating market realities specifically to highlight the fact that no badgering will ever get them to play nice with QL. Its not in their business interest.

It's not a show stopper for me either. Only because it can't be though. Nor do I know anyone who shoots only Hodgdon powder. Nor do I personally know anyone who has the ability to shoot only non-Hodgdon powder. And therein lies my issue.

I've been beating this drum since they bought the Winchester powder brand years ago. People called me crazy then. "There is no way they will be able to monopolize gun powder in the US"... Well, guess what, neither they or Winchester were manufacturers. There was no reason to buy the brand besides market share. It's simple business. Take a look at the snipet I took from their website minutes ago. Every time one of those brands was purchased, price went up and the next brand aquisition was targeted.

I didn't start this thread, nor do I believe it was started to bash the brand. I'm simply participating in the discussion. But I do believe that my participation has run its course. I'll keep banging my drum every time something that sniffs of anti-trust comes along with Hogdons name on it, but for now my point has been made. We can all pretend it's not happening, but it is.
Since monopolies are against the law (reasoning for ma bell to disband, but walmart exist as they are a monopoly) should be THE reason for hodgdon to be able to acquire more other branded powders (just like western). If they were sister companies started by the same owner(s), then it's not a monopoly (not saying this is the case). If the foreign company buys vista outdoors it can't be on the stock market (although there is a way, it can be as british petroleum has done). price being more of the concern than availability, powders in loaded/factory ammo isn't available (as far as I know) to be purchased by us normal folk? not sure about hsm, blackhills and similar manufacturers?

I guess that depends on what you are looking for. Yes, it is limited at this time, but some are available.

View attachment 580433
View attachment 580434
View attachment 580435
View attachment 580436
View attachment 580438
View attachment 580439

They do not have information for my .338 NMI, but I will use the .338 RUM for my baseline.
I'm not sure when match, hd and grand became available to the public in conjunction of when hodgdon gave info on their site, but at least there's something to go by. Hopefully I can get some data figured out for bullets NOT listed with certain cartridges? When I got a 6.5prc I checked sierra #5 and coal for 2 of their bullets were way off (charge weights I don't know). As many reloaders have known for decades, you can't use published data at 100% value. Some max charges will be OP'd and others not.

I'm not sure when match, hd and grand became available to the public in conjunction of when hodgdon gave info on their site, but at least there's something to go by. Hopefully I can get some data figured out for bullets NOT listed with certain cartridges? When I got a 6.5prc I checked sierra #5 and coal for 2 of their bullets were way off (charge weights I don't know). As many reloaders have known for decades, you can't use published data at 100% value. Some max charges will be OP'd and others not.
Yes, Sir

Meanwhile, Alliant stops selling powder to the public and everyone here is wanting to lynch Hodgdon because some powders aren’t in QL..yet. Weird.

BTW, if you’re a wildcatter, isn’t that part of it…figuring out what you can do with said experiment load? Whatever happened to start low and work up?

I find their website and load data totally helpful.

Maybe instead of continued negativity on this thread, someone should start a Ramshot Grand load thread to help others. I’d do it if I were using said powder. But I’m flush with traditional powders in that burn rate at the moment.

Meanwhile, Alliant stops selling powder to the public and everyone here is wanting to lynch Hodgdon because some powders aren’t in QL..yet. Weird.

BTW, if you’re a wildcatter, isn’t that part of it…figuring out what you can do with said experiment load? Whatever happened to start low and work up?

I find their website and load data totally helpful.

Maybe instead of continued negativity on this thread, someone should start a Ramshot Grand load thread to help others. I’d do it if I were using said powder. But I’m flush with traditional powders in that burn rate at the moment.
This!

You have to ask QL directly.

I, too, load SAAMI and wildcat cartridges, and I have no problem using those garbage reloading data as a baseline. I have used plenty of powders from various manufacturers, but no load data is available for my intended purposes. I often benchmark with other reputable LRH members who have the same mindset and interests as I do. Most recently, @Bghunter338 and I have shared load information in our .25 cals using 145 Black Hole and 163 Chinchaga. Bullets There is no loading information in any reloading manuals or websites. I doubt GRT, QL, or similar has any data either. But it never stopped us from exploring other avenues.
Just like what I'm going to be doing with those Matrix 175gr .277s for my 27 Sherman mag.