Purchasing Proof Barrel Re-chamber 7rm to 28?

How much are you figuring it will cost to put the barrel on and true up the action?
You will never be able to build a complete custom rifle from the ground up, on an aftermarket action with a Proof barrel, for even TWICE what it will cost you to simply have your current action blueprinted and a Proof barrel screwed onto it. The aftermarket action itself will cost you more than your Proof barrel blank. Plus, the Proof barrel. And you'll still need to buy a bottom metal/mag assembly, a stock, and a trigger...AND you still have to pay someone to put it all together... So gunsmithing fees are going to happen either way.

Your cheapest route is to keep your Sendero, and just have it rebarreled with a Proof barrel, and the action blueprinted.

Last edited:
How much are you figuring it will cost to put the barrel on and true up the action?
These are SWAG prices. No gunsmith is going to quote you what I say.

Proof Barrel: $800
Action truing, barrel install and chambering: $500
Cost to rebarrel $1300 +- $900 (hehe).
It does not matter what chambering.
New 28-Nosler dies $40 and up.

A custom action will cost $1100 and up.

I'm getting the Proof Barrel for 30% off.
So $620ish for barrel, $500 to true and install.
Still seems ALOT cheaper then selling and buying parts for a custom.
(What exactly is SWAG?)
These are SWAG prices. No gunsmith is going to quote you what I say.

Proof Barrel: $800
Action truing, barrel install and chambering: $500
Cost to rebarrel $1300 +- $900 (hehe).
It does not matter what chambering.
New 28-Nosler dies $40 and up.

A custom action will cost $1100 and up.

I'm getting the Proof Barrel for 30% off.
So $620ish for barrel, $500 to true and install.
Still seems ALOT cheaper then selling and buying parts for a custom.
(What exactly is SWAG?)
SWAG is Army slang. It stands for Sophisticated Wild-*** Guess. Snipers use the term alot when referring to engaging targets of unknown exact distance, but between known distances and quadrants. ;)

Blueprinting a 700 correctly will cost $250-300. Chamber and thread is $250. So $500 or so if you already have the barrel and rifle. Most will change the stock and trigger on their 700 also and so you may not do that right now but so many do so I would look at if you plan on doing that in the future.

If we do some math you can get: stockeys stock for $200-550
bld bottom metal for $90
Triggertech trigger for $170
Curtis action $750 or My choice pierce action for $980
So if you went this way (not counting the barrel that you already have and chambering which you will have to do anyway) it would cost between $1210 and $1790
So if you sold your SENDERO for $750 it would be $460-1040 of new money. So if you compare the lower end $460 to the $250 you will have to pay for the blueprint job. And one thing to think about is that your trued Remington is just a Remington and will not hold it's value like a custom action.

So if you are going to do anything else to your SENDERO you are better off just getting exactly what you want and go the custom route.

Blueprinting a 700 correctly will cost $250-300. Chamber and thread is $250. So $500 or so if you already have the barrel and rifle. Most will change the stock and trigger on their 700 also and so you may not do that right now but so many do so I would look at if you plan on doing that in the future.

If we do some math you can get: stockeys stock for $200-550
bld bottom metal for $90
Triggertech trigger for $170
Curtis action $750 or My choice pierce action for $980
So if you went this way (not counting the barrel that you already have and chambering which you will have to do anyway) it would cost between $1210 and $1790
So if you sold your SENDERO for $750 it would be $460-1040 of new money. So if you compare the lower end $460 to the $250 you will have to pay for the blueprint job. And one thing to think about is that your trued Remington is just a Remington and will not hold it's value like a custom action.

So if you are going to do anything else to your SENDERO you are better off just getting exactly what you want and go the custom route.
Already did the trigger, action is bedded and I don't plan on changing the stock or bottom metal. Im also not one to sell any of the guns I get.
The Proof Barrel will cost me $620 or so.

Ok then with that just pay to have it blueprinted and chambered and your good. Would love to see it when it's done.

Ok then with that just pay to have it blueprinted and chambered and your good. Would love to see it when it's done.

If I was a die hard rifle Hunter I would definitely go the custom route. Where it's going to be just a bear gun that really won't get hunted with but maybe once a few years, (except when I decide to do some long range coyote hunting) I can't see spending the extra coin.
Who do you recommend?
I have a quote for $350 to blue print, + $250 to chamber and another $250 to add a brake.

If I was a die hard rifle Hunter I would definitely go the custom route. Where it's going to be just a bear gun that really won't get hunted with but maybe once a few years, (except when I decide to do some long range coyote hunting) I can't see spending the extra coin.
Who do you recommend?
I have a quote for $350 to blue print, + $250 to chamber and another $250 to add a brake.

I would try Pierce Engineering but others have had good luck with a multitude of other smiths also. I spoke with Shawn at defensive edge and he has always come with a very high recommendation. Rbros is supposed to be good also.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.