.260 Rem Re-Chamber ?

If you are worried about being able to get the most out of a 6.5PRC in a short action (read heavier bullets loaded long to maximize powder capacity), then take a look at the 6.5 Sherman Short. I am not a Sherman fanboi, but the design of his cases does allow for the best use of the case in a short action.

That being said, I would go the .260AI route if it were mine. You already have the brass, powders, and bullets for it. I have a Remage 260 that will get a .260AI barrel when this current barrel is done.

"I'd just like a little more oomph out beyond 600 yards. Not a hunting arm, just ring and punch. Thoughts?"

I have three 260s - a vintage 26 inch barreled custom Rem 700 and two Tikkas with CTR 260 Barrels - a 16 inch cut and threaded and an OEM 20 inch. 260 has plenty of punch for ringing steel at 1000+ yards.

I recently pulled the custom 260 out of the safe and used for a NRL Hunter one day event (current PRS rigs way too heavy). I would definitely hunt with that 260 if I did not have to walk far!

I set up the short 260s for hunting with suppressors and carrying.

If you want to be different, I would try a 25 Creedmoor with 134 ELDMs. I ran my 25x47 (less case capacity than CM) and the difference in impacts with 25s vs 6s on steel at 1000 yards is noticeable.

260 AI, I can not run Lapua brass with my SAAMI spec reamer, I have to run Winchester brass formed from 243.

Some barrel analysis should be done before a re-chamber, which is much more complicated than chambering a new barrel IF done correctly. Many factory chambers are very crooked, how much has to be cut off with the old chamber bored out should be determined. Otherwise, the new 260 AI reamer will just follow the old chamber.

260 AI dies are very expensive, and Redding dies can be very difficult to find.

If you are running a std long action, consider a 6.5/06 where 147s run at 2940 fps with H1000, 140s at 3000.

Contact JGS, ask for a CIP reamer print for the 260 AI that is meant for use with the European Norma and Lapua brass, and then match the Freebore you want with the bullet you intend to use. Long actions work best for this application.
Already ran the 6.5-06 gamut. Anybody looking for a Douglas Premium 25" 1-9" I took off my Pre-64? Less than a thousand rounds through it. Barrel weighs 3.25 pounds.

Need some input on possible re-chamber of my Savage LRH in .260. I'm looking at 6.5x284 or 6.5 PRC. The .260 is very accurate, and I can make brass in a SHTF situation out of any .308 cases available. Also a pleasure to shoot. I'm set up for .6.5x284, but not concerned about a switch to the PRC. I'd just like a little more oomph out beyond 600 yards. Not a hunting arm, just ring and punch. Thoughts?
Panhandle Precision did a video/ article on that model. He said you could seat out the bullets quite a ways due to the stock magazines. I think I'd play with reloading it with the bullets seated out. Maybe even try some srp cases through it.

I have a Bartlein .264 gain twist, 9-8 medium Palma chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, 25", 5/8-24 muzzle and threaded for Curtis Axiom. 200 rds. Cerakoted Sniper Gray. On the rifle in my picture left. I rebarreled to a Bartlein #5 1-7.5 twist to shoot heavier bullets. I'll post it in classifieds, I know this is not the place to sell things.