.260 Rem Re-Chamber ?

I have 6.5x47 (2), 260AI, 264WM (4) & 6.5-300 Weatherby that started life as a rough chambered 6.5-284 barrel blank 32" long 8" twist.
My 260AI is more precise than when standard and even the same loads that I fire formed were more accurate in the AI chamber. Mine is on a switch barrel REM 700 VSSF II.
I would go 6.5-284 just because…

Cheers.

I went the opposite direction. I had a Savage LRH chambered in .308 and had it rebarreled to a .260. I really like the .260 plus I already have 3 other .308s.

..WHY..All the everything you'll need to do and buy is not worth the gain. The .260 will handle everything all the other cartridges you mentioned will no problem, it's another of those ho-hum plain Jane cartridges that have stood the test of time. You can always give it a little extra zip if that 150fps is needed...stay the course, it's safe.

260 AI, I can not run Lapua brass with my SAAMI spec reamer, I have to run Winchester brass formed from 243.

Some barrel analysis should be done before a re-chamber, which is much more complicated than chambering a new barrel IF done correctly. Many factory chambers are very crooked, how much has to be cut off with the old chamber bored out should be determined. Otherwise, the new 260 AI reamer will just follow the old chamber.

260 AI dies are very expensive, and Redding dies can be very difficult to find.

If you are running a std long action, consider a 6.5/06 where 147s run at 2940 fps with H1000, 140s at 3000.

Contact JGS, ask for a CIP reamer print for the 260 AI that is meant for use with the European Norma and Lapua brass, and then match the Freebore you want with the bullet you intend to use. Long actions work best for this application.

Last edited: