Purchasing Proof Barrel Re-chamber 7rm to 28?

Mxracer532

So I have a 1st Gen Sendero in 7RM but plan on purchasing a Proof Research Barrel. I have RCBS comp die's for the 7rm. Is the 28's 2-300fps worth the added cost? Should I just stick to 7rm and get a 1-8.5 and run 180's? 195's? Also what should I expect to pay to have this done with truing Rem action, minus the cost of the Proof Barrel?
I'd like to hear recommendations from anyone else that has done this or is planning on it. Thanks.

That's up to you. If you like hitting harder further out then yes, it would be worth it.

One caveat, if you're going to shoot a lot then the difference in throat erosion should be considered because the life of the barrel will be considerably shorter.

If it's just a hunting rig you're probably not going to put fifty rounds a year through it will make no practical difference in the LR.

I shot the 7mm RM for a couple of decades before stepping up to the STW and it was worth every penny.

Yes this will be a hunting rifle, it's currently a Gen 1 Sendero 7mm that I bought strictly for a bear gun for when I draw a spring bear tag. I enjoy shooting steel at long range (for me 1000) but the Sendero is too heavy for my bear hunts. (All back country in steep and deep holes) most shots are 400-1000 yards as everything is across canyons.

That's up to you. If you like hitting harder further out then yes, it would be worth it.

One caveat, if you're going to shoot a lot then the difference in throat erosion should be considered because the life of the barrel will be considerably shorter.

If it's just a hunting rig you're probably not going to put fifty rounds a year through it will make no practical difference in the LR.

I shot the 7mm RM for a couple of decades before stepping up to the STW and it was worth every penny.

So I have a 1st Gen Sendero in 7RM but plan on purchasing a Proof Research Barrel. I have RCBS comp die's for the 7rm. Is the 28's 2-300fps worth the added cost? Should I just stick to 7rm and get a 1-8.5 and run 180's? 195's? Also what should I expect to pay to have this done with truing Rem action, minus the cost of the Proof Barrel?
I'd like to hear recommendations from anyone else that has done this or is planning on it. Thanks.
It's not a direct swap, as so many think. You'll have to have the feed rails opened up on the bottom of your action (RUM and RUM-based cartridges are fatter than standard magnum cartridges), and you'll also need to have a RUM follower and mag box installed.

Another option to avoid all the extra work, would be to order your Proof barrel with a 8" twist, have it chambered in 7mm RemMag, and shoot the Berger 195 Elite Hunters, which will extend your range somewhat, thanks to the higher BC and heavier weight it will retain more energy down range, thereby extending your range a little bit. And if you limit yourself to 1000 yards, and compare your current ballistics to the 195's ballistics, you'll be hitting harder with more energy.

Last edited:
I rebuilt my late father-in-law's R700 7RM with a Bartlein #3 fluted, but kept it as a 7RM in his honor. 1:8.5" twist, and shoot the 180 Hybrid @ 2996fps. Finished it up @ 10.4# with a Manners EH-2 & S&B PMII 3-20x50. In the 2 years since he passed, it has killed 3 elk by myself and my two daughters (his granddaughters). From 75, 221 & 662 yards. I think it is plenty for elk out to 1K. Shot a 2.25" 5 shot group @ 806 yards.

I have loaded for a few different 28 Noslers with the 195 Berger Elite Hunters @ 3100+fps. That is elk magic. Should be plenty for elk out to 1400 in perfect conditions and proper shot placement.

My criteria for elk is 1500 ft/lbs & 1800fps minimum. So it depends on how far you are willing to shoot at a live elk. For me, even though my .300RUM and myself are fully capable of making the shot, and keeping to my criteria out to 1400+, I would not take that shot. I think my personally set limit is 1000.......until that monster bull steps out and feeds at 1100+ across a canyon.....then we will see how my resolve is.

I'm an avid archery hunter so this gun is strictly a black bear/steel gun. Chances of me ever using it for elk is very slim. Eventually my kids might use it for deer.

I rebuilt my late father-in-law's R700 7RM with a Bartlein #3 fluted, but kept it as a 7RM in his honor. 1:8.5" twist, and shoot the 180 Hybrid @ 2996fps. Finished it up @ 10.4# with a Manners EH-2 & S&B PMII 3-20x50. In the 2 years since he passed, it has killed 3 elk by myself and my two daughters (his granddaughters). From 75, 221 & 662 yards. I think it is plenty for elk out to 1K. Shot a 2.25" 5 shot group @ 806 yards.

I have loaded for a few different 28 Noslers with the 195 Berger Elite Hunters @ 3100+fps. That is elk magic. Should be plenty for elk out to 1400 in perfect conditions and proper shot placement.

My criteria for elk is 1500 ft/lbs & 1800fps minimum. So it depends on how far you are willing to shoot at a live elk. For me, even though my .300RUM and myself are fully capable of making the shot, and keeping to my criteria out to 1400+, I would not take that shot. I think my personally set limit is 1000.......until that monster bull steps out and feeds at 1100+ across a canyon.....then we will see how my resolve is.

Whats your load? 195's? Velocity? Thanks for the info. What should I expect to pay to have the Barrel installed and action trued?
I'd contact Proof Research. They might offer the service of blueprinting your action, and chambering and installing your barrel for you, if you send them your action or barreled action. If they don't I'm sure they can recommend a good smith who can help you out.

Rem R-P brass (I had 450 pieces, so used that rather than buying new Nosler)
CCI250M primer
69.0 H1000
180 Berger Hybrid
2996fps
I do not remember my CBTO, but I am running a .0500" jump.
Shoots in the .1-.3s depending on my ability for the day.

As for cost for the gunsmith work, I would think about $500-700ish to true the action, and thread, chamber, time and install the barrel. Totally depends on the smith.

I have a Proof on my .280AI, and I love it. 26" 1:9" twist Sendero Light. Shoots lights out too. Comes pretty close to rivalling my 7RM performance-wise.
175 Berger Elite Hunter @ 2975fps.

I will have to do that. I wasn't sure if they offered that service or not.Thanks for the info.
I'd contact Proof Research. They might offer the service of blueprinting your action, and chambering and installing your barrel for you, if you send them your action or barreled action. If they don't I'm sure they can recommend a good smith who can help you out.

After doing the math on what you are looking to do I would simply sell your SENDERO and use the money to build a new rifle as by the time you get done doing all that it's virtual the same price to just build a new one and get what you want.

After doing the math on what you are looking to do I would simply sell your SENDERO and use the money to build a new rifle as by the time you get done doing all that it's virtual the same price to just build a new one and get what you want.
How much are you figuring it will cost to put the barrel on and true up the action?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.