Pulled the trigger a Tarptent Notch Li

Litehiker

I have a very nice Tarptent Moment DW 4 season solo tent but as I age further into geezerhood I wanted something a bit lighter (1/2 the weight) so I got the very spendy Notch Li. Li= Lithium or "Tarptent-speak" for light weight Dyneema non-woven fabric reinforced with Kevlar or Spectra fibers. Like the less expensive silnylon Notch the Notch Li uses your hiking poles (or optional carbon fiber sectional poles) to support the tent, saving weight.

The Notch is even narrower inside than the Moment DW but still wide enough to lay your rifle alongside your mattress to keep it safe and out of the weather.

The problem with the white and translucent Dyneema used by Tarptent is that it offers no shade. Due to that I'm dyeing my inner tent fabric with "Peacock Green" RIT DyeMore, a dye made for synthetic fabrics. Also I have added 4 fly hem stake loops with both Dyneema repair tape and Tenacious Tape circles for double reinforcement where the nylon loops are sewn. Works well.

BUT... I will not use this tent where snow may be possible. In that situation I'll use the Moment DW which can easily handle snow loads with the optional Crossing Pole which I shortened 6" and ran under the fly.

Eric B.

Congrats on the purchase! Keep us posted on how the fabric preforms. Tarptents are quality products and I currently use an older Rainshadow 3 for when my girlfriend goes with me.
For now I'm using an Etowah Silnylon tarp for solo trips but have been eyeballing Henry's new lightweight offerings. Give us a review after you've had time to use it.

That's awesome. I've been looking at the Hilleberg Nallo GT, the Tarptent Stratospire Li and the ZPacks Free Duo. Want the all season capability. Let us know how the tent works out for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.