Pulled pork from a wild hog... your experience?

Don't overcomplicate it. Smoke it uncovered in a pan and cook it with its natural juices to maintain moisture until the desired smokiness, i.e., 325 °F for 2 hours, baste as required, and monitor moisture level. Cover with foil and cook slowly, i.e., 4-6 hours or until fork-tender. Shred meat with its natural juice and enjoy it with your favorite condiments, wine, beer, or spirit pairing. Cheers!

Ed
This is how I've done it. Still had trouble keeping moisture in it. Just make sandwiches slathered in you favorite sauce and it is fine.

Cook at no higher than 250F until meat temperature near doneness usually 3-hours for modest-size cut. Then put it in large restaurant style aluminum pan with 1/8 apple juice and tent for 1-2 hours with foil to final temp. Check frequently to make sure apple juice has not dired-up.

I would not hesitate to eat a 150 plus pound sow especially if its killed off of agriculture. Using a charcoal grill, I would smoke it (heavy smoke) at as low a temp as you can for 3 to 4 hours then wrap up tightly in foil, place on some kind or pan that can catch any juices, and finish off in the oven at 250, probably overnight if its a big shoulder and you want to pull it. Make sure the foil is as air sealed as possible. You want to seal in juices as best you can. When you open it up, catch the juices in the pan. You can pull it and then add the juices back in or you can make bbq sauce out of the juices and mix that back in or serve on the side. Thats what I do with venison when I smoke a shoulder.

Last edited:
I have eaten hogs bigger than 150 pounds and they tasted great. Lots more meat for the same amount of work field dressing and butchering. Never understood the disregard folks had for eating hogs over a certain size.

As others have mentioned, wild hog is lean, so as long as you account for the lack of fat content, all will be well.

For pulled pork smoke it low and slow at about 250 until you have a good smoke ring. Put it in the fridge over night for the juices to do their thing and then finish it in a pressure cooker until it's falling off of the bone.

100% apple cider is a great idea and makes for a mild, sweet taste when added in the pressure cooker.

Internal temp of 202 is plenty. Get there slowly. Hogs out of orange groves are awesome. Added fat or oil and apple or citrus juice and possibly some vinegar all help with moisture. As does sauce.

The two issues with wild pork are:
1. Low fat content
2. Wild flavor issues.

The methods you described above wouldn't help either of those issues much. Here is my suggestion:
I haven't cooked a wild pig like that, but your temp scares me. I smoke domestic pork at way lower temps. Pork fat becomes soluble at about 130°. In other words, by the time your internals hit 160° when cooking with a temp of 325°, you're going to have drained all of the fat out of the outer layers of the meat. They are already lean anyways. I wouldn't get my cooking temp above about 225°, and I'd be looking at 8-10 hours. In fact, to aid in time and prep, what I would do is vaccum seal them individually with an aggressive brine, then drop them into a big vat and sous vide them for probably 24 hours at 140°. That will get 90% of the cooking done, and the brine would be deep into the meat. Then, I'd pull them out, drain them, wipe them dry, add a coat of mustard and then a dry spice rub. Then I'd smoke them open (not in foil) for 4-6 hours at about 200°, maybe 225°.
Outstanding plan!

Because of the lack of fat I would cook even lower, 225 degrees and brine first…..depends on what you are looking to do with it but I like to make a standard brine, throw in some containers of pickling spice while making the brine and after it comes off the stove cut the cold water added in half and dump in some cheap Riesling wine and let it sit for 48 hours take it out and pay it dry, use a nice salt, pepper and brown sugar rub, then put it in the smoker low and slow…I used to be a chef and people tend to love the brining then smoke method with a simple dry rub….tons of flavor.

My friend's mom just called us and said there are hogs running/ruttin in her yard and wants us to come over an shoot them. Coyotes are howling also. I'll need to fill up our inground feeders up that we have in place by some tree stands and start shooting them. Weather is getting cooler now so sitting in a stand is OK without the bugs. Just wish my neck could get fixed soon.

My friend's mom just called us and said there are hogs running/ruttin in her yard and wants us to come over an shoot them. Coyotes are howling also. I'll need to fill up our inground feeders up that we have in place by some tree stands and start shooting them. Weather is getting cooler now so sitting in a stand is OK without the bugs. Just wish my neck could get fixed soon.
You get a fusion and you won't be shooting for a while if that's the issue, I just had one done.