Planning a 250 Savage Build - Two Barrels, Many Questions

I'd stay away from the axis personally it's a throw away gun, if u use a better platform u get what u mentioned above but u also get quality so when u can't find brass or get bored with the 250 u have a good platform to do something else if u dig around u can find those 110 trail hunters pretty cheap the 250sav it a fine cartridge I've shot several guns in that caliber I currently have a a ruger m77 and a custom made off a rem 700

I've had a couple of guys chime saying they've built on the Axis with good luck. Just looking an Axis II over in the gun shop I couldn't see anything that looked low quality. But I'm certainly no expert and I asked for opinions.

I do like that 110 trail hunter a lot. It's almost too nice to be a donor gun!

I've had a couple of guys chime saying they've built on the Axis with good luck. Just looking an Axis II over in the gun shop I couldn't see anything that looked low quality. But I'm certainly no expert and I asked for opinions.

I do like that 110 trail hunter a lot. It's almost too nice to be a donor gun!
You might try looking at Estate sales. I have bought a couple older 110 for 2 to 3 hundred dollars. One in 7 Mag with low mileage. Also used gun racks you find some good bargains.

I'm planning to build a budget 250 Savage rifle for a fun and shootable project with my young grandsons. I believe I have a barrel lined up from another LRH member. It's Shilen small ring in 250 Savage, 26" heavy varmint. Too heavy to be a practical hunter, but it would be great fun at the local range or hunting from a blind. It should also be a fairly simple project, I think. So now I'm looking at everything from the barrel back.

Action: 110 or Axis II? I can pick up a new/take-off Axis II action for $200 to $300, but would still need to buy various parts and pieces such as action bolts, barrel nut, magazine, scope mounts and rings, etc. I've been seeing 110 actions for the $400 and up range but would still have all the same parts and pieces to buy as with Axis II. I'm not sure the 110 gives me much advantage over the Axis II.

I'm looking around for used versions of these, but I could also buy a new gun to use for a donor. Right now, I can get a Savage Axis II in 22-250 on gunbroker for $285 with no CC fees, and Savage has a $75 rebate for that gun. So, I'd have a new action, barrel nut, action bolts, and possibly other useable stuff for cheap. And I'd have a take-off barrel and stock to keep or sell. There are also pretty good deals on new 110 models if I decide that's the action I want.

I'm inclined to buy the new Axis II donor rifle and have the bulk rifle's mechanicals solved. I guess I'm looking for feedback or suggestions on this project.
I have made 1 1/2 pound triggers from a standard Axis I without buying anything else.
All of the Axis rifles I've owned, I & II's, were shooters & without a ridiculous price.

I'm planning to build a budget 250 Savage rifle for a fun and shootable project with my young grandsons. I believe I have a barrel lined up from another LRH member. It's Shilen small ring in 250 Savage, 26" heavy varmint. Too heavy to be a practical hunter, but it would be great fun at the local range or hunting from a blind. It should also be a fairly simple project, I think. So now I'm looking at everything from the barrel back.

Action: 110 or Axis II? I can pick up a new/take-off Axis II action for $200 to $300, but would still need to buy various parts and pieces such as action bolts, barrel nut, magazine, scope mounts and rings, etc. I've been seeing 110 actions for the $400 and up range but would still have all the same parts and pieces to buy as with Axis II. I'm not sure the 110 gives me much advantage over the Axis II.

I'm looking around for used versions of these, but I could also buy a new gun to use for a donor. Right now, I can get a Savage Axis II in 22-250 on gunbroker for $285 with no CC fees, and Savage has a $75 rebate for that gun. So, I'd have a new action, barrel nut, action bolts, and possibly other useable stuff for cheap. And I'd have a take-off barrel and stock to keep or sell. There are also pretty good deals on new 110 models if I decide that's the action I want.

I'm inclined to buy the new Axis II donor rifle and have the bulk rifle's mechanicals solved. I guess I'm looking for feedback or suggestions on this project.
I've read on this forum about some forming a 250 Creedmoor from the 6mm Creedmoor case and getting good results. Maybe that's another option?

My wife's rifle is a stainless Model 16 that is VERY accurate. You might look for one, but I don't think many were made in .250. I have a switch-barrel Axis, but I like the basic 110 better. Good luck with your project. The Shilen should treat you well. The .250 Savage is my all-time favorite cartridge.

My wife's rifle is a stainless Model 16 that is VERY accurate. You might look for one, but I don't think many were made in .250. I have a switch-barrel Axis, but I like the basic 110 better. Good luck with your project. The Shilen should treat you well. The .250 Savage is my all-time favorite cartridge.
Thank you!

Thanks for the warning! I'm not a reloader yet. If the rifle build works out, I will have incentive to start. But there is still some 250 ammo out there if one is willing to pay for it. I could buy several boxes of factory ammo and keep the brass to speed that process.
Get Lapua .22-250 brass and neck up when you get into reloading.

Not to try to talk you out of buying the barrel.
But...

There's a reason I don't get rifles chambered in 243 Win for donors.
Actually several.

First, it's a good versatile round that's easy to load for.
Everything from paper punching, to varmints, coyote, deer.
Even a few elk have been taken with the 243 Win.

Second would be the much better selection of really good bullets.

If I got a 243Win as a donor rifle, i'd still be looking for a donor rifle.

Not to try to talk you out of buying the barrel.
But...

There's a reason I don't get rifles chambered in 243 Win for donors.
Actually several.

First, it's a good versatile round that's easy to load for.
Everything from paper punching, to varmints, coyote, deer.
Even a few elk have been taken with the 243 Win.

Second would be the much better selection of really good bullets.

If I got a 243Win as a donor rifle, i'd still be looking for a donor rifle.
I haven't taken it apart yet. I got that gun because it was available locally at a good price. I'm still open to other donor options.