Planning a 250 Savage Build - Two Barrels, Many Questions

OutsideBill

I'm planning to build a budget 250 Savage rifle for a fun and shootable project with my young grandsons. I believe I have a barrel lined up from another LRH member. It's Shilen small ring in 250 Savage, 26" heavy varmint. Too heavy to be a practical hunter, but it would be great fun at the local range or hunting from a blind. It should also be a fairly simple project, I think. So now I'm looking at everything from the barrel back.

Action: 110 or Axis II? I can pick up a new/take-off Axis II action for $200 to $300, but would still need to buy various parts and pieces such as action bolts, barrel nut, magazine, scope mounts and rings, etc. I've been seeing 110 actions for the $400 and up range but would still have all the same parts and pieces to buy as with Axis II. I'm not sure the 110 gives me much advantage over the Axis II.

I'm looking around for used versions of these, but I could also buy a new gun to use for a donor. Right now, I can get a Savage Axis II in 22-250 on gunbroker for $285 with no CC fees, and Savage has a $75 rebate for that gun. So, I'd have a new action, barrel nut, action bolts, and possibly other useable stuff for cheap. And I'd have a take-off barrel and stock to keep or sell. There are also pretty good deals on new 110 models if I decide that's the action I want.

I'm inclined to buy the new Axis II donor rifle and have the bulk rifle's mechanicals solved. I guess I'm looking for feedback or suggestions on this project.

I made one of my grandsons a 250 savage rifle on a mauser and would prefer a modern action, they are smoother and better machined, a savage should be great. My grandson likes his rifle and I like the 250 better than a 243 as I believe the bore life will be double

If you go with the axis go with the standard access and then get a spring kit in the shims also get a bolt lift kit look it up on eBay it makes a humongous difference in the smoothness of the bolt opening and closing you can pick up a youth stock from Savage or you could go with a Boyd's at one that's adjustable. For the spring kit and the lift kit I think it's but 25 bucks a piece the stocks are about 90 bucks or 260 for a boyds

I made one of my grandsons a 250 savage rifle on a mauser and would prefer a modern action, they are smoother and better machined, a savage should be great. My grandson likes his rifle and I like the 250 better than a 243 as I believe the bore life will be double
Nice. Did the rifle work out for your grandson? I loved the 250 Savage I grew up shooting, and a nephew still has the gun. But my son was never a fan, and has gravitated to the .243 and newer rounds.

If you go with the axis go with the standard access and then get a spring kit in the shims also get a bolt lift kit look it up on eBay it makes a humongous difference in the smoothness of the bolt opening and closing you can pick up a youth stock from Savage or you could go with a Boyd's at one that's adjustable. For the spring kit and the lift kit I think it's but 25 bucks a piece the stocks are about 90 bucks or 260 for a boyds

That's Greek to me. What is the "standard access" and what are the shims?

I have cycled an Axis in the gun shop and found the bolt lift a bit stiff. I figured that would smooth out with use, and it wouldn't be hard to adjust to. But I can see where that could be improved. I'lll definitely check that out.

I'm a fan of wood, and the Boyd's stocks are nice. But with a heavy varmint barrel, I would either need a special order or some modifications to a normal stock. I'm already leaning toward modifying a Boyd's wood stock as a relatively low cost solution.

Thanks for the tips!

A Boyds stock would work nicely for what you have planned.
Barrel is currently on a Savage Axis action, so I can say for certain that it will fit.

My other barrel, E.R. Shaw, 24" sporter in 250 Savage is on a Savage Axis II action.
Currently my coyote rifle.

I'm planning to build a budget 250 Savage rifle for a fun and shootable project with my young grandsons. I believe I have a barrel lined up from another LRH member. It's Shilen small ring in 250 Savage, 26" heavy varmint. Too heavy to be a practical hunter, but it would be great fun at the local range or hunting from a blind. It should also be a fairly simple project, I think. So now I'm looking at everything from the barrel back.

Action: 110 or Axis II? I can pick up a new/take-off Axis II action for $200 to $300, but would still need to buy various parts and pieces such as action bolts, barrel nut, magazine, scope mounts and rings, etc. I've been seeing 110 actions for the $400 and up range but would still have all the same parts and pieces to buy as with Axis II. I'm not sure the 110 gives me much advantage over the Axis II.

I'm looking around for used versions of these, but I could also buy a new gun to use for a donor. Right now, I can get a Savage Axis II in 22-250 on gunbroker for $285 with no CC fees, and Savage has a $75 rebate for that gun. So, I'd have a new action, barrel nut, action bolts, and possibly other useable stuff for cheap. And I'd have a take-off barrel and stock to keep or sell. There are also pretty good deals on new 110 models if I decide that's the action I want.

I'm inclined to buy the new Axis II donor rifle and have the bulk rifle's mechanicals solved. I guess I'm looking for feedback or suggestions on this project.
The 250 Savage is one of the "most want to shoot" and forgiving cartridges I have found. However, if you start to push the pressures to the max then you will need better brass. I use Remington 22-250 brass sized up to 25 caliber.

The 250 Savage is one of the "most want to shoot" and forgiving cartridges I have found. However, if you start to push the pressures to the max you will need better brass. I use Remington 22-250 brass sized up to 25 caliber.

I believe parts will be easier to get for the Savage 110. Especially a stock will offer cheaper options. And I would want a top bolt release. If it was me. I have a few and looking at stocks. Boyds seems to have more of them for sale in their Rapid fire sales. This is where you can get a stock with a slight cosmetic defect. Or possibly there's nothing wrong with it at all. The GUN SHACK also carries some decent priced parts for both. But it does seem they carry more for the 110 than the Axis. Just something to think about.

A Boyds stock would work nicely for what you have planned.
Barrel is currently on a Savage Axis action, so I can say for certain that it will fit.

My other barrel, E.R. Shaw, 24" sporter in 250 Savage is on a Savage Axis II action.
Currently my coyote rifle.
That's good to hear std7mag. I'm not a very experienced builder, and I've never had an Axis. I've only stocked and blued one old Mauser sporter and built one muzzle loader from a raw barrel and blank. I In order to make this simple and keep costs down, I'm leaning toward using a new wood-stocked Axis II and doing a simple re-barrel (with the necessary barrel channel widening). If I'm happy with the outcome and decide I need a stock better suited for bench work, I can then go with a Boyds.

Last edited:
That's Greek to me. What is the "standard access"
I could be wrong; my best WAG is that he meant standard shank, as in small shank (at least in the 110s/111s). I built a few DIYs with110s/111s but not Axis. IIRC, they are all small shanks.

BTW, I do not recommend bottom-bolt release due to limited stock options.

I could be wrong; my best WAG is that he meant standard shank, as in small shank (at least in the 110s/111s). I built a few DIYs with110s/111s but not Axis. IIRC, they are all small shanks.
Maybe that's what he meant. I believe you're right that Axis/Axis IIs are all small shank, and the seller of the barrel, std7mag, has just confirmed they will fit together!