Over/Unders

Franchi SL Instincts (weighs around 5 pounds or so). Can walk all day without my arms getting tired. Skeet bottom barrel and light modified up top. Fiocchi Golden pheasant #6 bottom and #5 up top.

I've been interesting in getting an SL instinct....I love the idea of the weight and I like the feel of the gun. Just worried about sand galling the aluminum action. Have you had any issues along those lines with yours?

I've been interesting in getting an SL instinct....I love the idea of the weight and I like the feel of the gun. Just worried about sand galling the aluminum action. Have you had any issues along those lines with yours?
None at all, 3 seasons on it now and no signs of any abnormal wear. One of the nicest upland guns around.

Very much like rifle selection for intended use, I select my shotguns similarly. For sporting clays, trap, and skeet, my preference is for the longer, single sighting plane, balance, and choke versatility of a well made over/under. I like an autoloader for Waterfowl which has similar attributes, but with the extra shot and fast reloading capability, and perhaps the added durability under very harsh conditions. For upland game and very fast shooting(quail, partridge, woodcock, etc), my shotgun of choice is a SxS Double with the balance, light weight, and wider sighting plane that lends itself to fast instinctive shooting. Personal preference plays a big role with shotgunning. Once upon a time, many decades ago, I used my beloved Winchester Model 12 pumpgun for everything.

I'm so used to my Citori's that I find it hard to use anything but nowadays. I tried using my 20 gauge BPS last season and found myself fumbling with the darn thing, wondering why it wasn't breaking open ;)

I run a pair of Browning citori 12ga for bigger birds or short walks. A 20ga white lightning if I'm chasing quail or long walks are in store. I've got both Briley and Carlson chokes whichever I got the best deal on at the time. Normally run IC/Mod in both for hunting and if shooting skeet or sporting clay I run skeet choke. Dove and quail in 7-1/2 or 8, game loads for chukar and pheasant 6 or 7-1/2. I've found the Ic/Mod works for me running either gun or load and I like the extra reach I sometimes need after a bird has been missed or flushed out a ways. I've hunted with guys who swear by the newest wiz bang shells and pay way 2-3x more than normal lead shells but aren't increasing their hits. I fail to see what the big deal is with these new fancy shells we aren't turkey hunting where super tight hard hitting patterns need to be. Maybe late season pheasant flushing at 40-50 yard and steady 30+ mph wind they'd be advantageous but I haven't seen enough difference in performance for me to buy them. Anyone have info on this phenomenon?

Last edited:
Yes. I took experienced upland (not pheasant hunters) to S.D. on a trip... both experienced wing shots. They laughed at the ammo I bought, which was Prairie Storm. When they saw how effective they were, they made me take them to the store to find some. The following seasons they would order cases of P.S. before going. Huge difference in kills.

I run a pair of Browning citori 12ga for bigger birds or short walks. A 20ga white lightning if I'm chasing quail or long walks are in store. I've got both Briley and Carlson chokes whichever I got the best deal on at the time. Normally run IC/Mod in both for hunting and if shooting skeet or sporting clay I run skeet choke. Dove and quail in 7-1/2 or 8, game loads for chukar and pheasant 6 or 7-1/2. I've found the Ic/Mod works for me running either gun or load and I like the extra reach I sometimes need after a bird has been missed or flushed out a ways. I've hunted with guys who swear by the newest wiz bang shells and pay way 2-3x more than normal lead shells but aren't increasing their hits. I fail to see what the big deal is with these new fancy shells we aren't turkey hunting where super tight hard hitting patterns need to be. Maybe late season pheasant flushing at 40-50 yard and steady 30+ mph wind they'd be advantageous but I haven't seen enough difference in performance for me to buy them. Anyone have info on this phenomenon?

Very well saId, how many have actually taken the time to pattern the "wiz bang" shells. If they do not pattern well and shoot to point they will not kill. These new hyper velocity shells (over 1,300 FPS). Are a joke. Patterns spread to the point you must choke down one or two constrictions for comparable pattens at shooting average distances. Hit the pattern board. Goes to show, people buy Marketing.

If you plan to reload and perfect your shot loads.....28 gauge...
I have a tristars 28 o/u....4.8#.....barely notice it in your hands and a couple boxes of shells weighs nothing and other than less bulky hardly notice you have them with you....
I have a load that uses 7/8oz shot of 5 or 6 and can bust clays at 50 yards almost as often as my kid.....i guess i taught him right....he also shoots a tristars o/u.....also have two tristars s/a 28s and never a jam.......5.4#...
Beware.....28s shoot so nice...you can shoot up a box really fast...you think a rifle barrel can get hot.........hahahaaaat

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.