Ordering a custom barrel, what do I need to know?

I might take a look at them if I build another Savage, I can't imagine it would hard to get a part like a barrel in but I might be very wrong on that too.
I contacted him a year ago about a 6.5twist 22-250ai for the 95smk, he said that's no problem and he would even throat it for that bullet. Never went any further with the project though

Very interesting discussions. I have been looking to rebarrel my 22-250 from a 1:14 to a 1:8 twist barrels. Live in CA and from July '19 I can only use copper bullets to hunt coyotes and with a 1:8 twist I can use 55 to 62gr copper bullets. I shoot coyotes between 300 and 600 yards, mostly about 450 yards.

I originally looking at Shaw Custom barrels, sending my receiver and barrel off and let them do everything. What is your guys experience of Shaw barrels?

I really like the NSS Criterion remage barrels for the Rem 700, as mentioned above, and may consider this.

I've had 7 McGowen barrels and they've all been great shooters (sub .5 MOA) with a couple which were exceptional. Buy with confidence.

For your reamer specs, McGowen uses SAAMI spec reamers for almost everything which means your 280 AI should have a .180" or so freebore. That should be a perfect fit in a standard Rem 700 LA mag box with most bullets you'd want to shoot.

I would check with Patriot Valley Arms or either Bugholes. Either one of them can set you up with what you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.