Open sights. yes or no

I have 2 rifles with Iron sights. A rem. 78 with front and rear sights Zeroed in place and 1.5X5 scope added.
To me the old Sako setup is great. If the scope goes bad, Just loosen 2 screws and remove the scope. Pull the Zeroed in rear peep site out of your pack and slide it on the rear scope dovetail. Back to hunting.
Everybody should learn how to use open sights long before a scope

I believe the apeture sights are more accurate and faster. The key to this is having the hole large enough for speed. Also I've seen some shooters wanting to get their heads too far away from the aperture, when closer is better.

Frankly, I like the looks of open sights and think they add to the rifle. Their utility is hard to beat when it gets down and dirty. Just my shower thoughts

I love long range shooting but also have a love affair with iron sights, peeps in particular. I scooped up a Ruger 44 carbine with rare factory peeps for this reason.

When I hunt out West I do a lot of long range shooting and those guns have big scopes. Often locally I am hunting where no shot can conceivably be >150yds. In that situation MOST of my guns have iron sights. I did put a scout scope on my 458 SOCOM as a fun experiment but if I end up not liking it an aperture sight will go on....

Iron sight shooters give up the first half-hour and last half-hour of their hunting day.
I use leupold 1.5x5 on my slug-gun which have accounted for over 35 deer. Used the same scope on my .375 H&H on lion and Cape buffalo. I used a 2.5x8 on a .30-06 to kill a Impala at 10 yards without difficulty.

None of my hunting rifles have iron sights.

Good luck

Jerry

Iron sights, every shooter should be able to use them.

Advantages of iron sights:
light weight and low profile
maintain zero very well
reliable, iron sights don't break

Advantages of an optic sight
faster target acquisition (if the magnification isn´t too big)
very precise crosshair, good for small targets or longer range.
you don't have to worry about sight picture, getting your front sight and rear sight alligned
better in a low light situation (depending on the kind of scope)

My early years of hunting in the heavily wooded Eastern part of the country was done almost exclusively with open sights. Shots beyond 150 yards were rare and considering the optics technology(that I could afford) at the time, one did not feel disadvantaged using iron sights. Eventually, most all my hunting rifles were scoped, w/o iron sights. IMO, they do have a place in certain situations. Shot this guy in Botwanna about 30 years ago at 20 paces in the long grass using open express sights. I'd choose the same rifle today.
E5AA5F95-160E-477A-887D-F05CDAFDCF2F.jpeg

Stuff happens. Same thing happened to me but my pretty Weatherby MK V stock broke into two pieces. The scope was fine.

I still hunt some with my 30-30 open sight and no scoped pistols, just don't have one. I take a back up rifle on all hunts that are a long way from home, those are usually West Texas and longer shots happen often so the scope is nearly a must. Turtle gun Nylon 66 no scope just fun.

If we have a few deer in the freezer by the last weekend of rifle season we started doing what we call the "old school weekend". Everyone has to hunt with iron sighted rifles except the old guys who are allowed to use an old scoped rifle. For example I carried my 1873 last year, my brother carried his 1895 in .405 and my dad used his Savage 99 with a 2-7 Redfield. We started this because my after the first two weekends we shot 10 deer dad was tired of cleaning them and figured he needed to handicap to make us earn it.

This embargo resulted in our buddy making a 200 yard offhand shot on a big 8 point with his grandfather's 1894 in 30-30, his first ever buck with a rifle.

For me it depends on the type of hunt. I used to insist on open sights as a backup on all my rifles. If you damage the scope you still have an option. This is even more important if hunting bear, close quarters game, etc. For long distance hunts, I've become partial to no open sights.

I set up a 17HMR for the little kids. 10.5" LOP, and a Burris fast fire 2. A lot more fun, and the kids are busting balloons in a few shots.
Not sure if this is the topic, but I like your train of thought on bringing kids into the game, Success is the key. Some kids are naturals, because they want to imitate their fathers or grandfathers, maybe mother.
I have stories, but sometimes just the manipulation needed, target acquisition, iron sights become overwhelming for kids 5 and under. Where a low power scope or red dot simplifies matters. They have the rest of their lives to master irons if they choose.
My little buddy next door will be 4 next yr, and I know we will try get him out in the spring, most likely an oversize older inherited 22 with irons, and knowing the dexterity and temperament of the boy, I doubt the first outings will go well unless he is extremely happy. I think I will go to sportsmans warehouse, buy a 10-22, lop the stock off and install a red dot.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.