Ok I am not a big fan of the 6.5 Creedmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think people really want to see the 6.5 Creedmoor fail or fall on its face. I totally agree with Bigeclipse. He hit it right on the head. All fact. The .260 IMO IS superior ballistically BUT hardly any good ammo is offered and limited rifles are built from the factory. Any educated shooter or hunter knows this. Makes the 6.5 Creedmoor a valuable rifle to non-reloaders. My beef mostly is with the false claims Hornady makes about the 6.5 CM out performing the .260. There are many, many shooters shooting that cartridge that are also brainwashed into thinking along those lines. It's not. It's designed to shoot long heavy bullets at long ranges. Also from ARs. The long neck allows a full case of powder while seating bullets way out in the neck. Something the .260 can't do. Case capacity is still short of the .260 and so is performance but accuracy is what counts and it does shoot. Can't take away that fact.
Many of us are just sick of all of the over-hyping of the 6.5CM and all of the mystical magical claims that go therewith.

INMO (that is clearly unwarranted) the best use for a 6.5CM is in LR308/AR10 rifles. Its about the longest range setup you can make out of a AR platform short of getting one of those insanely expensive and proprietary Noreen bad news rifles in .300 WM. But, if you believe everything you have been told- the 6.5 creedmoor is just as good :D

I would rather use a 243 Win.
or a 270 Win. for shooting targets or hunting, for me they do everything I need them to do and are great for reloading a variety of bullets .
I just don't feel the need to add a
6.5 Creed. to my assortments of great bolt action Rifles.
On the other hand I have been looking closely at the 25-06 in a Remington 700 Long Range , .for a Varminter Rifle

I would rather use a 243 Win.
or a 270 Win. for shooting targets or hunting, for me they do everything I need them to do and are great for reloading a variety of bullets .
I just don't feel the need to add a
6.5 Creed. to my assortments of great bolt action Rifles.
On the other hand I have been looking closely at the 25-06 in a Remington 700 Long Range , .for a Varminter Rifle
No doubt the 6.5 bullet excels in LR shooting. Just don't see a need for one if you already have a 6.5-47, 260 or 6.5-06. I built a 6.5 Creedmoor for a buddy who wound up leaving the state and couldn't afford the purchase in the end. I decided to keep it and if my son wanted to use it, it's in the safe. It doesn't do anything as good as my 260 or a 6.5-47 can do. It's the new kid on the block and Hornady did a wonderful job anchoring it's future with loading for it. Something Remington didn't do very well for the .260. Can't fault Hornady for doing what they do best.

No doubt the 6.5 bullet excels in LR shooting. Just don't see a need for one if you already have a 6.5-47, 260 or 6.5-06. I built a 6.5 Creedmoor for a buddy who wound up leaving the state and couldn't afford the purchase in the end. I decided to keep it and if my son wanted to use it, it's in the safe. It doesn't do anything as good as my 260 or a 6.5-47 can do. It's the new kid on the block and Hornady did a wonderful job anchoring it's future with loading for it. Something Remington didn't do very well for the .260. Can't fault Hornady for doing what they do best.
If you already have a good 6.5 there's no reason to buy another.

It's real easy and real expensive to get hooked on jumping on the latest, greatest, newest whatever that hits the market.

If you have a 6.5cm, great, shoot it to your hearts content. If you have a PRC, Lapua, 6.5x55, 260 Rem, or .264wm enjoy them.

To me the only justification for going to something like the 6.5Cm or .260 Rem is if you want to shoot a 6.5 in an AR platform or are doing a lot of high volume shooting.

I have the .260's for high volume shooting and a .260 AR, a .264wm for everything from coyotes to African game and a 6.5LRM just because love to scream it out over long distances.

A man however could limit himself to a single 6.5 in any production round and have all the gun necessary for 90% of the world's game.

None of them have any magic over the others.

Unfortunately over hype can push a lot of people away.

But there's always those that gotta have the latest new thing.

The big Sporting goods stores that sell these give points to their employees that sell the most to use towards getting themselves one.

Yes, the 6.5 craze is some times to much,,, of course I'm going this route for a few reasons only...

Loooooong booltiz just off the lands,,, and lighter grains to prevent more brain damage... Ha

Other than that,,, its all the same...

The nut behind the wheel is the key element that makes it happen,,, from 22 on up to the 50 cal's,,, it really depends on what package a person wants to deliver down range... LOL...

Critters don't like cruise missiles you know...

Yes I understand that. I was just say for finding the space I only need 300 more yards. Furthest spot I can find is 1450-1500 yards. Alot changes when you hit transonic.

Yes, my mid case build will send the boolitz further then that,,, paper and gongs of course.

I'm doing the mid size cartridges in 30 cal right now,,, hopefully my 65 will cut the wind a bit better.

I won't know this till I get there.

I'm going to add though that if your looking for your first target 6.5 and dont already own the 6.5x47 or 260 then the 6.5 CM is probably the way to go. The brass availability is among the best as well as rifle selections if your not planning to build.
Maybe... But IMO, only if you don't reload.

Maybe... But IMO, only if you don't reload.
It doesnt matter if you reload or not. The availability it much better than the x47 or 260 rem. Everyone and their brother makes rifles, brass and ammo for it. Not true for the others. The x47 has nothing on the creed and the 260 rem has maybe 50 fps on the creed. I'll take availability over 50fps any day of the week. That's just me though and everyone is different which is ok. Some people just have issues with more options I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts