Newer Truck vs. Low Mileage Old Truck

It's far cheaper to rebuild with a new motor and transmission 👍
No way I can afford a new one at today's prices. To replace the one I drive now would cost me more than what I paid for my house
The pick up I am driving now is a 2001 it’s stickered at $14,000 more than I paid for my house but I put a ton of money into my house after purchasing it

I got a 23 GMC 3.0 Diesel and am experiencing the same mpg as you. So far I am well pleased with it…sure are pricey though.
I have the first year 3.0l from 2020, so far 54000 miles and no issues. Just came in the door from a trip to Washington, made it from Tacoma to Helena on 1 tank (22-23 gallons) averaging 70-80 mph.

My work truck is a 1994 f250 super cab long bed bought it 11 years ago for $1,500.00 put a clutch in it and have been driving it ever since. Don’t put a lot of miles on it a year but it has 282,479 miles on it, don’t remember how many it had when I bought it but I’ve got another 5.8 Windsor, 4” stroke crank, brodix heads, 4.04” forged pistons need the rods and it will get a 410 stroker with a 6r80 transmission I hope soon.

Trucks not the prettiest but I’ll just keep rebuilding it for a lot less than buying a new one.

I have two Tundras (2011 Crew Cab = 96K miles and 2015 TRD Crew Max = 36K miles). They have had no issues thus far. I wish they had better gas mileage, but I did not buy them for their fuel efficiency.

Tundras.jpg

I think oil prices are being manipulated due to this being an election year. I think if you wait until end of year oil prices will shoot up slowing truck sales, maybe a chance to get a good deal on a new truck.

I am just about done buying new vehicles. Prices have gotten out of control and I am ready to buy an old truck I can work on. I’m not even hesitant to buy a carbureted truck.

I think oil prices are being manipulated due to this being an election year. I think if you wait until end of year oil prices will shoot up slowing truck sales, maybe a chance to get a good deal on a new truck.

I am just about done buying new vehicles. Prices have gotten out of control and I am ready to buy an old truck I can work on. I'm not even hesitant to buy a carbureted truck.
That leaves the door open for headers, intake, double pumper etc.
What could possibly go wrong?

We either need to hit the LOTO or start a "Go Fund Me" to get a new Truck for me. (Jill always got a newer SUV every couple of years)
Years ago, I would buy/build a new house every 3-4 years along with a new vehicle every 2 years. Never had to worry about repairing much.
Now 16 years later in the same home.
We are investing back into the home right now with new Heat/Air, Water Well, Water Heater, Property Fencing/Staining, Tractor rebuild and refinishing the Hardwood floors and maybe a Bathroom upgrade.
Then still investing into the Business to turn out top grade Builds.

DON'T have any relatives to leave us a small or even little fortune. 🤣

Here in California you will pay an additional $5,000 tax on a new $50K truck and your annual registration will be $657(yes, $56a month every year) so I will never buy a new car here. My hunt rig is a 1998 4runner I bought for $1,300 with 140K miles and I dumped ~$6,000 rebuilding it to perfection, mechanically speaking. I could gold plate the thing for the price of a new one.

Yep, they were never known as ECONOMICAL. Good truck though.
Yes, Sir, they are. The battery on my 2011 lasted just shy of 11 years. I had the timing belt, brakes worked on, transmission serviced, and alternator replaced at 90K since I will keep and milk as much mileage as I can throughout its life span. It was basically maintenance-free for 90K miles. I keep regular oil changes (every 6 months) for both vehicles.

Here in California you will pay an additional $5,000 tax on a new $50K truck and your annual registration will be $657(yes, $56a month every year) so I will never buy a new car here. My hunt rig is a 1998 4runner I bought for $1,300 with 140K miles and I dumped ~$6,000 rebuilding it to perfection, mechanically speaking. I could gold plate the thing for the price of a new one.
Why live in CA????
I know probably for family, a job, lived there for ever or can't sell your home where you live.
The people in CA deserve who they vote in, but the few like you are stuck with liberal idiots that can't see what they ARE DOING WHEN VOTING.
Those 4 Runners 4x4 are GREAT especially if re-built. Great job!!! Wish y'all had better leadership there.
When I was in business in HI I would travel to Salt Lake City, UT then Seattle, WA, then San Fran, then LA, then back to HI. Didn't care for LA, but San Fran was a really nice place to go and then upper NAPA valley.
THAT WAS BACK IN 1993-1996.
We almost moved from HI to North San Fran in 1997, but the highest cost of living in the USA was San Fran #1 and Honolulu, #2 where we were moving from. We ended moving to Marietta, GA just north of Atlanta. Could not imagine when I went to the grocery store. A full shopping cart of food was 1/4 the price of when I bought a shopping cart in HI.

HOW THING HAVE CHANGED IN CA since I was there in the late 90s!!!

Last edited:

Recent Posts