Newer Truck vs. Low Mileage Old Truck

I’ve had 4 GMC Duramax diesels, 2500HD.
It’s a lot of truck, and not cheap, but they have been dependable and consistent.
I usually put 100-150k on them myself then they go on the farm.
By the time we call them “done” it’s usually about the 300,000 mark. And these are hard, rough and dirty miles.
1/2 ton gas trucks need not apply.
The resale has been awesome when I’ve checked into it, just seems like we need another farm truck every 3yrs or so.

The Gen 2 GM 3.0 liter diesel is no joke if you're in the market for a 1/2 ton. Get one quick, once they figure out how reliable, powerful, and efficient they are they (the folks pulling Joes strings) will find a reason to make GM change em.

These are pretty good trucks, my Dad put 8ply tires on his and beefed up the shocks. Doesn't 'feel' like a half ton anymore.

Pretty cool motor, but one interetesting quirk; the timing belt tensioner is hydraulic (not mechanical) and needs OIL PRESSURE to work. So keep an eye on that dipstick 👀

Here's an idea. How bad is the body on your current truck ? Is it worth a motor & trans ? Possibly a paint job ? You would be surprised by the warranty on a new long block. Or go to your local dealer. And ask to see the trade ins that have not been run through the shop yet. You may not see what you want one week but in a month from now you may find the deal for you. Buy it AS-IS. I got lucky on a 2012 Chevy Silverado w/ less than 16,000 miles for a little over $22,000.00. I got almost 100,000 miles on it now, within 3 years. But it has been trouble free.

I grew up with old trucks. Engines were worn out at 100,000 miles or less. Adjust the points weekly- kept a paper match book in the glove box for that. They got better as they got newer, but still averaged five miles to the gallon. Around 2000 they started to tighten the tolerances in the engines and transmissions and lasted a lot longer. My daily driver is a 1998 Gen 2 Ram. It will turn 300,000 miles in the next two weeks. I will probably rebuild everything on it as it breaks and keep driving it for quite a while. I just can't cough up what they are asking for a new truck, and many parts are on back order if they break. If only the seats were not punishing to sit in for long drives. edit- seats bad on Gen 2 Ram.

Last edited:
Have a 04 Chevy Duramax LLY with 110K miles. Bought new for about 30K back 04. Drives great. Replaced the tie rods and steering box at around 60k. I will probably have to replace then again soon. I see these on the road a lot with 300K miles on them. Gonna keep it. Kinda attached to it like a favorite hunting rifle.

Chris Ledoux probably said it best in his song Cadillac Cowboy,10-4 buddy come on back, a horse trailer on a Cadillac, yeah we're talkin to the cowboy in the Coupe Deville. No doubt one of the best cheap pickups ever owned was a 1970 Lincoln Town Car with a 460 V-8 and 500ftlb torque. Bought it in town for $1,500 bucks, from an old widow woman who only put 40,000 miles on it, had to drag their boat to Florida. Frikn thing it'd haul anything that'd fit in the trunk or pull any trailer ya put on the boat hitch.That old rig had tough rearend tall Talladega gearing, US 20 at nite, buck 20 all the way across NE. Still had high compression pistons on em back then and if ya kept er under 75mph it'd get 15-17mpg.

I’m going to try and one up you 3chester, my dad was pulling his camper back and forth from Pa. to Canada every summer with his 70’s 455 Pontiac bonneville, he would put those big mirrors on each side of the front end, it sat real low on the rear end with that all steel camp trailer attached, he swore that car could pull anything that had wheels under it. He eventually traded it in for an international travel all with a 392.

Adjust the points weekly- kept a paper match book in the glove box for that.
We must be pretty old cause I remember doing the same. Maybe I’ll change my handle to ol’ Birddog. 😁
As far as new vs used, I’d have a hard time paying top dollar for a used truck not knowing how it was maintained by the previous owner. Believe it or not some people refuse to change fluids in a timely manner so it’s kind of a crap shoot if you ask me. Brand spanking new is crazy expensive now but you should have peace of mind along with the gigantic payment.
I purchased my 2014 Nissan Frontier from the dealership and they were using it as a demonstration, driving it around. It had under 4k miles but they knocked a large chunk off the new price tag and included the new factory warranty so this may be a option for you.

Here's an idea. How bad is the body on your current truck ? Is it worth a motor & trans ? Possibly a paint job ? You would be surprised by the warranty on a new long block. Or go to your local dealer. And ask to see the trade ins that have not been run through the shop yet. You may not see what you want one week but in a month from now you may find the deal for you. Buy it AS-IS. I got lucky on a 2012 Chevy Silverado w/ less than 16,000 miles for a little over $22,000.00. I got almost 100,000 miles on it now, within 3 years. But it has been trouble free.
Keep the oil changed, AT serviced, brakes are replaced the truck lasts. My ‘05 King Ranch, acquired in ‘10, still works fine.

In the 80s and before a truck was pretty much worn out at 100k miles. Not so today
It is difficult to find one without the tech goodies
Today 100k miles is not even half of its life expectancy
I honestly believe you can blame UAW for the ridiculous price of new vehicles, forcing auto makers to pay ridiculous wages and protecting lazy workers
The alternative is to take a 80’s model truck and put in a new style motor in it 😁

We must be pretty old cause I remember doing the same. Maybe I'll change my handle to ol' Birddog. 😁
As far as new vs used, I'd have a hard time paying top dollar for a used truck not knowing how it was maintained by the previous owner. Believe it or not some people refuse to change fluids in a timely manner so it's kind of a crap shoot if you ask me. Brand spanking new is crazy expensive now but you should have peace of mind along with the gigantic payment.
I purchased my 2014 Nissan Frontier from the dealership and they were using it as a demonstration, driving it around. It had under 4k miles but they knocked a large chunk off the new price tag and included the new factory warranty so this may be a option for you.
You defiantly have to pick and choose. I have people come into the shop for the first transmission service at 120,000 miles. The fluid is black, and it has two out of four gears operating. Demo models are a good choice. As far as being old... My brain thinks I'm 25, but my body thinks I'm an idiot. I tried to convince a cow that I could make her turn around in the chute yesterday. I'll bet she is not a sore as I am today.

Last edited:
my 02 F250 has 428K I think...when I saw that the same truck today was between $85-95K I thought I would ride it a little longer and I pull a 14' cargo trailer behind it most of the time. I'd get it it and ride to CA in the morning...it might leave me in LA, but I'd still go in it. Unhooked and on the highway it gets between 20-22 depending on wind direction 12 in town with the trailer on it.

Trucks have always been drive till they die for me. I’ve only bought new trucks. The 1995 Chevy was given to one of daughters in 2009. She had it for many years, but wanted something to drive across the country so she sold it to my mechanic. He still has it with a complete overhaul. He has for sale for $25k. My latest truck is a 2009 GMC Denali. It sucks the gas with that 6.2L, but (knock on wood) it has been extremely reliable for 170k. For a full time AWD it is very easy on tires averaging 60k. Pulled heavy boats and has been deep in hunting woods many times. I’m blown away by the new prices on trucks.