New Wincester XR turkey loads

Here's a pattern from 25 yards my buddy shot with 3in #6 long beard. Winchester sxp long beard edition with a pattern master choke
I have tried many, many different loads, when I first got my 835 Mossy, including Heavy's but the best that I found for my combination has been the Federal 3&1/2" 2oz of #5 shot. I can consistently get over 7 hits in the areas of the brain & vertebrate area of the turkey targets out to 60 yards and many times to 70. You also need a heavy enough shot to penetrate at this distance and do damage to the boney areas. To check this I like to see shot go through both sides of an aluminum can at 70 yards or farther, if they don't then they should not be used past the distance that they will, this is just my standards that I use to get an Idea if the load is capable of killing at that distance. Some of the other loads I tried will go through the can easy enough but the pattern has too many holes in it! Each gun & chock combination shoots different, what shot poorly in my gun may be excellent in yours. Good luck!

I have tried many, many different loads, when I first got my 835 Mossy, including Heavy's but the best that I found for my combination has been the Federal 3&1/2" 2oz of #5 shot. I can consistently get over 7 hits in the areas of the brain & vertebrate area of the turkey targets out to 60 yards and many times to 70. You also need a heavy enough shot to penetrate at this distance and do damage to the boney areas. To check this I like to see shot go through both sides of an aluminum can at 70 yards or farther, if they don't then they should not be used past the distance that they will, this is just my standards that I use to get an Idea if the load is capable of killing at that distance. Some of the other loads I tried will go through the can easy enough but the pattern has too many holes in it! Each gun & chock combination shoots different, what shot poorly in my gun may be excellent in yours. Good luck!
I used to be a heavi shot guy until I shot longbeard. I've shot turkeys at 70 but I'm not proud of it. That's not my style . I like them up in my face. Generally my shots a are 30 yards or under and that long beard just pummels them. I've shot the 5s and 6s and the 5s are clumpy in my choke but 6s are nice and even with no holes. I wouldn't have a problem shooting a bird with it at 60.

I used to be a heavi shot guy until I shot longbeard. I've shot turkeys at 70 but I'm not proud of it. That's not my style . I like them up in my face. Generally my shots a are 30 yards or under and that long beard just pummels them. I've shot the 5s and 6s and the 5s are clumpy in my choke but 6s are nice and even with no holes. I wouldn't have a problem shooting a bird with it at 60.
I have not, nor tried to kill a gobbler that I thought was over 50 yards, but misjudged one about 5 years ago, it ended up 62 big steps. This is the farthest that I ever shot at one and he did the top spin and flopped about 5 yards and then feet slowly raking the sky. I just check patterns and penetration out past the distance I plan to shot to be on the safe side. I have not tried or tested some of the newer shells and probably won't because of the way my setup shoots now. I also use a red dot scope so I can center my pattern where I want it. They are nice, you just put the dot on their head and pull the trigger, smoked turkey! One shot one kill, unless it's your fault by pulling or the bird doesn't allow you that good first shot. Good luck and be safe out there everyone.

I have not, nor tried to kill a gobbler that I thought was over 50 yards, but misjudged one about 5 years ago, it ended up 62 big steps. This is the farthest that I ever shot at one and he did the top spin and flopped about 5 yards and then feet slowly raking the sky. I just check patterns and penetration out past the distance I plan to shot to be on the safe side. I have not tried or tested some of the newer shells and probably won't because of the way my setup shoots now. I also use a red dot scope so I can center my pattern where I want it. They are nice, you just put the dot on their head and pull the trigger, smoked turkey! One shot one kill, unless it's your fault by pulling or the bird doesn't allow you that good first shot. Good luck and be safe out there everyone.
I love red dots for turkey hunting. I used one for the first time last year and the bird I shot got absolutely pummeled at 35 yards. I see what your saying about misjudgung range. The one bird I killed at 70 was misjudged big time. I was trying to put a sneak on him and he busted me just before I made it to where I needed to be. I judged it to be about 50 which was in range of my magnum blend. It's definitely handy to have some forgiveness. I'm not hunting with a red dot this year since I got my new sx3. I plan on getting one on it next year though.

If you're referring to the new long beards, I'd recommend contacting sumtoy chokes. Little pricier than your typical choke tube sitting on a dealers shelf but worth the money. Bought one last year and it'll never leave the gun. Thing to remember though is that the energy of your lead shot will dissipate before the pattern does. Try the #4's to keep the energy up.
If you're referring to the new long beards, I'd recommend contacting sumtoy chokes. Little pricier than your typical choke tube sitting on a dealers shelf but worth the money. Bought one last year and it'll never leave the gun. Thing to remember though is that the energy of your lead shot will dissipate before the pattern does. Try the #4's to keep the energy up.
I agree with wvmountainhick, Sumtoy chokes and #4's are a great combination. Call William at Sumtoy Chokes and he will hook you up.

C98934E1-8617-44DF-B522-FB15F4477DC1.jpeg
252E0BCB-5DBB-4515-87D1-9B9C0663BB3A.jpeg
3DE117BA-2D72-45CB-B876-8A450FF26F82.jpeg
These birds here all died from a dose of 3" #6 long beards this spring. I was a die hard hevi shot guy but longbeards rule. Winchester SX2 and Indian creek choke.

Last edited:
I got a nice bird today in PA. Called three long beards in at 9:10 22lbs 10" beard 1&1/8" spurs. I have pics on my laptop but don't know how to put them on the forum.

My set up is a Remington 12ga 3.5" Supermag 24" long with Remington A/M Extra full turkey choke shooting 12ga 3.5" Winchester LB/XR either #4's or #5's the fives actually pattern better so much that they are my load of choice, but I only have a picture of a 50 yard target using #4 shot. IIRC at 50 yards the Winchester LB/XR's put about 15-20 pellets on average in the turkeys head. The #5 put again IIRC at least 25. That's why I went with the #5's.
With this level of performance I just don't see how the IMHO, outrageously expensive heavy shot turkey shells are worth it. I am of the opinion you need at least 10 pellets CONSISTANTLY in a turkeys head/neck area to ensure a quick kill, I'm getting at least 2x that at 50 yards with the#4's and over 2x that with the #5 W/LB/XR's.
20170511_104127.jpg

My set up is a Remington 12ga 3.5" Supermag 24" long with Remington A/M Extra full turkey choke shooting 12ga 3.5" Winchester LB/XR either #4's or #5's the fives actually pattern better so much that they are my load of choice, but I only have a picture of a 50 yard target using #4 shot. IIRC at 50 yards the Winchester LB/XR's put about 15-20 pellets on average in the turkeys head. The #5 put again IIRC at least 25. That's why I went with the #5's.
With this level of performance I just don't see how the IMHO, outrageously expensive heavy shot turkey shells are worth it. I am of the opinion you need at least 10 pellets CONSISTANTLY in a turkeys head/neck area to ensure a quick kill, I'm getting at least 2x that at 50 yards with the#4's and over 2x that with the #5 W/LB/XR's.View attachment 97246
I do see several holes in this pic, but not in the head and neck area, and with the 5's you have a little more shot and that could fill the holes. 5's are what I found gave me the best overall pattern. I use the Federal 3&1/2 inch 2oz - #5 shot with a trueglo tube in my 835 mossy and have killed a bird that I misjudged the distance on a few years back at 62 steps, I try not to shoot over 50 yards and usually wait till they are much closer, but sometimes they don't come quit as close as I would like. I also tried the same shell in the 2&1/4 oz but got holes as in your pic. Too much shot can deform the shot and cause holes in your pattern, this is why you have to try different brands and loads till you get the right combination. Good luck hunting and be safe.

I do see several holes in this pic, but not in the head and neck area, and with the 5's you have a little more shot and that could fill the holes. 5's are what I found gave me the best overall pattern. I use the

Not trying to be argumentative, but I count at least 12 pellet holes in the head of the turkey, 8 alone in the orange stick on target, which without doubt would kill any turkey cleanly if not instantly. I am a self admitted computer novice, so I don't know if this function is unique to my computer because I posted the pic or can be done by any computer, but if I click on the picture it increases in size and you can much more clearly see the pellet holes and then count up the at least 12 pellets in the turkeys head area.

And yes your correct about #5 shot my 50 yard targets showed at least 50% more pellets in the target than #4's which I found surprising, and I feel are because #5 pattern better out of my gun more than the fact there are more #5's in a shell VS #4's.

I love the XR's. I wish they made them in BB for coyotes. What an awesome load that would be. I tried the 3.5" #4's in my Versa Max with a Remington .660 choke. It put 112 hits in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards. Totally devastating. I also added an E O Tech. Love it. It is a HAMMER!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.