Tss turkey loads

I use them in a 20 gauge. 3" #9. Simply lethal. I have taken gobblers out to 52 yds and it's just bang flop. I shot them through a standard turkey choke on a Stoeger M3020 with a 28" barrel. They hit hard and pattern great. I used hand loads a friend made me first but now shoot the Federal Premium heavyweight TSS.

Figunner how are the patterns at 52 are you putting a lot of pellets in the breast and do they just go through? 9 seems very small to me gonna try the 7tss this year. There a bit expensive but I imagine 40 yards with all those pellets.

Larry what are you shooting 12 or 20 ga?

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

I don't have a picture of the pattern with the TSS but I'll show you how mine does with a couple other loads that in my opinion were good but nothing like the #9.

IMG_20190305_174725501.jpg

Hevi-Shot Magnum blend at 50 yds, that's a 2" circle

To answer your question, yes they're are small shot but they are very hard and heavy for their size so they hit hard. The pattern is open about at much as and other load as far as diameter but the coverage is so much better because of the higher pellet count. They do seem to pass through the breast. My son killed his first birthday this past Saturday at 35 yds and I only had about 5 in the breast. Only one recovered, the rest passed through.

There is a good video on you tube with a guy comparing turkey loads. He shoots the TSS out to 73 yards it is very impressive. Personally I have tried a lot of choke tubes and turkey loads and long beard xr 3.5 6s out of a Carlson's xr tube patterns the best for me out of my benelli. I haven't tried the TSS yet but it looks promising. I'm not sure i will even try them as I'm very happy with my current setup.

TSS is in a whole different league than anything you have ever shot. Another member drops sandhill cranes at over 100 yards with #5 TSS, and #4 buck for brown bears in AK if that gives you an idea of the effectiveness. I am dropping down to my 20 gauge with #9's this year as I almost feel over gunned with the 12 gauge(and the 20 is so much lighter). On some of the turkey forums guys are even shooting 410's on turkeys. I'm working on #2 loads for coyotes as we are lead free now. No particular choke works with every gun so try different ones, yes it's expensive but like I said TSS is in a different league.
https://www.tungstensupershots.com/viewforum.php?f=3

Correct me if I'm wrong but does not the TSS shells sell for about $50 W/tax for five?
$10 bucks a shell VS $2.30 for WW LB/XR is quite pricey IMHO.
For ME PERSONALLY 90-95% of my enjoyment I get from turkey hunting is calling them into gun range and getting to watch them do their awesome displays of going into full strut and gobbling prior to shooting them.
Again for me turkey hunting is so enjoyable because unlike deer that I usually only see for a few moments, sometime seconds prior to having to take my shot, with turkeys I have had them displaying in front of my decoys for as long as 10 to even 15 minuets of gobbling and displaying before I or one of my sons took their Tom.

In the last 20+ turkey seasons I have never not had a solid opportunity to kill a mature Tom I called into gun range. Granted it often took more than one hunt, but save for two years in which I just flat out screwed up I have always been able to get a Tom within my effective gun range. Now a days if I don't take a Tom it will be due to me having screwed up and not because I couldn't get a Tom into range.

Besides I find it a bit cost prohibitive to spend $75-$100 if not more to pattern and sight in my gun, and yes I do so before every turkey season, granted once sighted in the fallowing seasons it's only a few shots at 40 and then 50 yards, but what happens if as I am considering I go to Vortex red dot sights for mine and my sons guns? Even if I'm the only one using TSS it still would be very expensive to sight in a red dot out to 50 let alone 70 yards with TSS. But we are all free to spend our $$$ how ever we choose to. I'm more than happy with my effective range and rate of success using WW/LB/XRs.

Just my thoughts.

Correct me if I'm wrong but does not the TSS shells sell for about $50 W/tax for five?
$10 bucks a shell VS $2.30 for WW LB/XR is quite pricey IMHO.
For ME PERSONALLY 90-95% of my enjoyment I get from turkey hunting is calling them into gun range and getting to watch them do their awesome displays of going into full strut and gobbling prior to shooting them.
Again for me turkey hunting is so enjoyable because unlike deer that I usually only see for a few moments, sometime seconds prior to having to take my shot, with turkeys I have had them displaying in front of my decoys for as long as 10 to even 15 minuets of gobbling and displaying before I or one of my sons took their Tom.

In the last 20+ turkey seasons I have never not had a solid opportunity to kill a mature Tom I called into gun range. Granted it often took more than one hunt, but save for two years in which I just flat out screwed up I have always been able to get a Tom within my effective gun range. Now a days if I don't take a Tom it will be due to me having screwed up and not because I couldn't get a Tom into range.

Besides I find it a bit cost prohibitive to spend $75-$100 if not more to pattern and sight in my gun, and yes I do so before every turkey season, granted once sighted in the fallowing seasons it's only a few shots at 40 and then 50 yards, but what happens if as I am considering I go to Vortex red dot sights for mine and my sons guns? Even if I'm the only one using TSS it still would be very expensive to sight in a red dot out to 50 let alone 70 yards with TSS. But we are all free to spend our $$$ how ever we choose to. I'm more than happy with my effective range and rate of success using WW/LB/XRs.

Just my thoughts.
I wish I were as fortunate as you to have so much land/resources near where I live but being near Southern CA that is not the case. Most the good land is private and the public land that holds birds is saturated with "hunters" with no etiquette who will charge into your setup as you are calling in a bird, seriously. Gas here is $3.75 a gallon right now so driving 300 miles a couple days of scouting and a couple days of hunting gets expensive compared to ammo. Back when i had access to a private ranch I would get my 3 turkeys a season and help my buddies too but after the drought things are much tougher and the birds moved to mostly private land and I have to hunt public now. A guided hunt gets $750 and up which is too much for my budget. I have a dedicated turkey/coyote gun that I don't mind spending the money on the TSS as I spend way more on gas, food, etc than on ammo, I just want to stack the deck in my favor as my chances are much fewer these days.
We can't shoot lead shot at coyotes either so it's rifle or non-tox shot.

A local store has the Federal TSS 3" #9 for 20 ga for $26.99 for a 5 she'll box. There more companies get to producing them, the more likely they'll come down on the prices. Competition in the hunting world is a good thing to make things more affordable. As long as the quality is there. We can only kill 2 here so it's not a bad cost to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.