New Hornady ELD-M bullets for 2017!!!!

I looked up Hornady's website, and it seems that their BCs are revised again. It definitely explains why my dope doesn't work... I updated it in my calculator, I'm going to see if it helps this weekend...

it looks like they are listing it just like Sierra does their bullets..

That's a stretch at best, and that is obvious from what guys earlier in this thread, as well as many other places on the internet have posted.

Sierra posts the BC's averaged over the velocity ranges on each bullets page. You don't see just one number by itself. And that has caused enough confusion and the spread of inaccurate information over the years as is. Also you could use those BCs (assuming they are correct) to plug in the numbers into a ballistics calculator that will take BCs over velocity ranges and get a good trajectory out of it.

Hornady, on the other hand, shows a given bullet and say's this is the BC... Oh, but if you click over here to "learn more", you will find out that that is actually not the BC. And if you find it, Hornady lists BC's At 3 different exact points. They are not averaged over velocity ranges. Looking at their chart, you would have to guess, at best, as to what velocity range, up or down, that BC covered; but event then it would be wrong because it is only the BC for one point. And not the BC over a velocity range.

Most guys haven't clicked to "learn more", in order to realize that there is a major technicality there. And is why all over the internet guys have gotten super excited about the BC's.

Like I said, its a marketing twist. And it fooled a lot of guys all over the internet who are getting excited and posting about the high BC's and running to buy bullets, only to find out the truth later, like the above poster who's excitement was "deflated" when he found out the reality. Guys did exactly what Hornady wanted them to do. Compare the big awesome high velocity BC numbers to the real BC numbers of other bullets.

You can keep trying to defend it, all I'm saying is, they have good data and could have published it so the guys who need it can use it, but won't publish it (aside from in a purposefully somewhat hidden location) because it is not in their best interest from a marketing stand point. As a company, they choose to post misleading info to sell more bullets, unfortunately most of the market is not as demanding or critical as the guys on these forums.

Im not defending it, I'm saying they are listing three different BCs over three different velocities. It's not that difficult to determine trajectory with that data.. They also say to use the Mach 1.75 for dope past 600 yards.... If someone doesn't click over and read it then their data is off...
I go off of data, NOT supporter biased..... If I can get accurate data and it shoots well, then I'll use it, I DONT care what name is on the box.... I will say this.... Hornady is stepping up their game, they are on the cutting edge of bullet tech and there seems to be some cranky people form other companies calling out their very fault...
It speaks volumes of the character...

I'll do my own test and determine my data... I always do...

It speaks volumes of the character...

Agreed, a company distorting the data their customers depend on definitely does speak volumes...

Trying to keep the truth and reality at the fore front of the conversation will help us all in the end. If Hornady just posted the correct data and information to begin with, there wouldn't be an issue, its pretty simple really.

It's funny how when you are trying to help shooters get on target at long range with accurate data and solid information, while also trying to keep guys aware of inaccurate data and misleading information, that you are the cranky one. Most would disagree.

I'm going to leave it at that.

Agreed, a company distorting the data their customers depend on definitely does speak volumes...

Trying to keep the truth and reality at the fore front of the conversation will help us all in the end. If Hornady just posted the correct data and information to begin with, there wouldn't be an issue, its pretty simple really.

It's funny how when you are trying to help shooters get on target at long range with accurate data and solid information, while also trying to keep guys aware of inaccurate data and misleading information, that you are the cranky one. Most would disagree.

I'm going to leave it at that.
Ok, thanks for your input....

The 80 ELD looks pretty good, especially for folks who have struggled with the 90 grain bullets and/or just don't want to buy new brass after 2-3 firings. One can easily launch an 80 grain bullet at 2850ish and get 10 firings out of Lapua brass, and these guys will do OK at 1000 yards.

I'm not gonna sweat how the different companies represent their BCs differently. There won't be a big difference in trajectories out to 1000 yards. Pretty soon, Hornady will likely have the custom drag curves for all the ELDs in their 4 DOF ballistic calculator.

The 208 ELD also looks awesome. A buddy has shot it, and we've also found somewhere in cyberspace that the BCs have been independently confirmed down to M1.2.

That 147 ELD may just bring me back into the Hornady fold for 6.5 bullets.

The 80 ELD looks pretty good, especially for folks who have struggled with the 90 grain bullets and/or just don't want to buy new brass after 2-3 firings. One can easily launch an 80 grain bullet at 2850ish and get 10 firings out of Lapua brass, and these guys will do OK at 1000 yards.

I'm not gonna sweat how the different companies represent their BCs differently. There won't be a big difference in trajectories out to 1000 yards. Pretty soon, Hornady will likely have the custom drag curves for all the ELDs in their 4 DOF ballistic calculator.

The 208 ELD also looks awesome. A buddy has shot it, and we've also found somewhere in cyberspace that the BCs have been independently confirmed down to M1.2.

That 147 ELD may just bring me back into the Hornady fold for 6.5 bullets.
I agree about the 208, I never realized the BC was revised for this bullet... I was having to input something like 2740-2750 fps can't remember which to get hits at 600. This was out of 30-06!! My Chrony was telling me 2650fps. So the .690 BC explains a lot... Lol

I went thru my ballistic calculator and revised all of the BCs, I will verifi drop this weekend... I'm stoked we are getting more detailed data.. They are sure slippery bullets..

I went thru my ballistic calculator and revised all of the BCs, I will verifi drop this weekend... I'm stoked we are getting more detailed data.. They are sure slippery bullets..

I agree. Regardless of what the naysayers have to say about what's published on the box and their reasoning behind it, they are among the best in their class for low drag. They're also an extremely consistent manufacture. I've always had great success with Hornaday and have been my favorite for years. Now they're even better for us long range guys. It's also great to know they are publishing full disclosures on their website as well as offering the real world data. All the information we need is on their website.

Slippery is an understatement.

Well using my RUM and the data (BC) listed on the box I had to decrease the dope I had at 1000 yards. This was for a 220 grain bullet. I made a 760 yard shot on a deer during the season and if I would of held for the wind It would of been right behind the shoulder. I think my chrono is actually the liar in this one since it was saying I was only getting 3020 out of the them. I don't remember the corrected velocity but I think is up above 3100fps. A little BC change is not going to kill me.

The big 30s (225 ELD M) were delivered today....
From left to right,
225 BTHP
225 ELD M
215 Berger Hybrid
208 ELD M.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 95
Gohring3006, out of what rifle are you going to shoot the 225gr ELD M? Will you please keep us updated on the BC and if the advertised one is correct?

Would like to see a comparison between 230gr Berger and 225gr ELD M with regards to loads and BC.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.