New Hornady ELD-M bullets for 2017!!!!

Yeah, and it looks like they're doing a 150gr 7mm ELD-X bullet, too. Wish they'd do a 168 .308 with the same BC as their ELD-M. Pushed at 2800-2900 from a 30-06 would breathe new life into that round (in my opinion, anyways.)

If they played around and did a .277 140-150gr ELD-X, imagine what you could do with the standard 270 Win!

Hornady needs to catch up with some more calibers and weights for the ELD-X. Want to see .257 and .277.

Yeah, and it looks like they're doing a 150gr 7mm ELD-X bullet, too. Wish they'd do a 168 .308 with the same BC as their ELD-M. Pushed at 2800-2900 from a 30-06 would breathe new life into that round (in my opinion, anyways.)

If they played around and did a .277 140-150gr ELD-X, imagine what you could do with the standard 270 Win!

This is fantastic news! I'll be excited to try the 7mm 150's. Currently have some 162's to use in my 280, havent shot them yet but they are potentially in the marginal stability range given the factory barrel's 1:10 twist.

Their website actually does list a .277 cal ELD-X at 145 gr
http://http://m.hornady.com/store/270-cal-277-145-gr-ELDX/

Last edited:
Wow that 145gr .270 bullet is a disappointment with a .536 BC. Not much better than the 150gr SST that has a .525 G1 BC. Well at least they recognized the .270 for a change. That new 147gr 6.5 bullet looks amazing and will be great in the magnum 6.5 cartridges with that huge .697 BC! And that 225gr ELD-M for the .30cal will be an awesome bullet as well! That .777 BC is incredible!

Wow that 145gr .270 bullet is a disappointment with a .536 BC. Not much better than the 150gr SST that has a .525 G1 BC. Well at least they recognized the .270 for a change. That new 147gr 6.5 bullet looks amazing and will be great in the magnum 6.5 cartridges with that huge .697 BC! And that 225gr ELD-M for the .30cal will be an awesome bullet as well! That .777 BC is incredible!

I wonder if it's because of the constraints on existing barrel twists?

Well to deflate my excitement, I found out all of Hornady's BCs they currently list for the ELD-X and ELD-M are the values at 200 yards. I guess most bullet companies test their bullets only at 200 yards and this is the BC they list. So to prove how well their bullets compare to others as far as ballistics, Hornady changed all of their BCs to the value at 200 yards. Previously all the ELD bullets were advertised with their BC at 800 yards. I will list the chart they show on their website. I think the best thing to do is use the BCs listed in the middle column, that way if you have a 200 yard shot or a 800 yard shot you can just use the same BC without changing anything. Kind of how Bryan Litz averages the BCs at all ranges to find one that works at any distance.

Ballistic Coefficient - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

Attachments

• ELDMachAssociatedBCValues17ALlBULLETSONLY (1).jpg
    ELDMachAssociatedBCValues17ALlBULLETSONLY (1).jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 237
Well to deflate my excitement, I found out all of Hornady's BCs they currently list for the ELD-X and ELD-M are the values at 200 yards. I guess most bullet companies test their bullets only at 200 yards and this is the BC they list. So to prove how well their bullets compare to others as far as ballistics, Hornady changed all of their BCs to the value at 200 yards. Previously all the ELD bullets were advertised with their BC at 800 yards. I will list the chart they show on their website. I think the best thing to do is use the BCs listed in the middle column, that way if you have a 200 yard shot or a 800 yard shot you can just use the same BC without changing anything. Kind of how Bryan Litz averages the BCs at all ranges to find one that works at any distance.

Ballistic Coefficient - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

So, let me get this straight. Hornady is putting out data that makes their bullets seem better than they really are, instead of usable data, because that's how all of the other companies do it. And the only way you would know they're not usable real world BCs, is if you hunt down that page. Interesting...

Can anyone name a company that advertises specifically 200 yard BC's? I think most people would like to compare real usable data. But I guess when you look at it from a marketing stand point... they got a lot of people excited and sold a lot of bullets.

Hopefully some real data can be had on these at some point so that they can actually be compared, and Custom drag curves available in a usable platform.

i'am sure they will test and update on their FREE 4DOF ballistic calculator (Verified doppler radar). Competition comes around its unfair :rolleyes:

i'am sure they will test and update on their FREE 4DOF ballistic calculator (Verified doppler radar). Competition comes around its unfair :rolleyes:

If you think its about competition you are sadly mistaken. Nothing unfair about it, its called free trade and the open market.

The fact of the matter is that they published misleading BC data when they have access to the good data, because they claim that's how other companies do it, which is completely false; pretty much nobody, least of all their biggest competitors publish 200 yard BC data. If that doesn't sound like twisting things for marketing purposes, I don't know what does. Once again you have a company that instead of providing customers with usable data, has decided to give out useless comparison only data in order to make their bullets look better. Its really not that complicated. And I think most guys serious about hitting targets at distance can see that.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.